The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 3, 2010, 02:24 PM   #1
DocHoliday

50gr Barnes Varmint Grenade???

I have found the load data available on this very slim. I have seen several loads using varget but do not personaly use this powder. I was wondering if any of ya'll have used IMR4198 to load these. I was thinking around a 20.0grain starting load to work up from.

Last edited by DocHoliday; July 3, 2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old July 3, 2010, 06:51 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

In what cartridge?
Old July 3, 2010, 07:09 PM   #3
Crosshair

USE THIS INFO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If you're loading it in .223, QuickLOAD says that you'll be halfway between 25% to 15% under MAP. Another grain and a half and you're at MAP, so 20 grains might be a little high for starting given the possible margin of error. 19.5 might be a little better for your first try. That takes you to -25% MAP.
Old July 3, 2010, 07:36 PM   #4
DocHoliday

Sorry about that.

Yes it is indeed for .223 and TY. I got to thinking that 20.0grains would be a lil high as i thought more about it. Made up a few loads running from 17-18.5grains for test. Hopefully will get to shoot soon.
Old July 4, 2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Loader9

I assume you are aware that the 50 gr VG bullets require a quick twist barrel. Even at that, I found the accuracy of these bullets to be lacking. Out of several different 223 platforms of twist rates from 7", 8", and 9" twists, accuracy at best was 1.5" at 100 yds from target grade barrels. That's fine if the ranges are short but down here seeing a coyote at 500 yds is fairly common. At that range, you'd be lucky to hit yer truck and hitting a coyote size target is pure luck shooting these bullets. You might want to know that they will explode on a spider web and shooting in a light fog means the bullet won't get there. They are far too frangible to be of value in my opinion. Best of luck.