The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 29, 2010, 12:08 PM   #1
RSMITH77

300 wsm reloading questions

Im new to this reloading stuff and i was wondering if anybody had any idea on what dies i would need for my gun. My gun is a remington 700 model .300 wsm. I have the rcbs rockchucket kit and all the accesories but im needing more information on dies. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 29, 2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You need to resize the case, add powder and seat the bullet.

There are several methods for adding the powder. The easiest cheap way is a powder funnel and a balance scale. The fastest easiest way is a powder funnel and an automatic scale/dispenser like the RCBS 1500.

Personally, I think the method that gives you the most flexibility is to use a Lee Collet neck sizing die set and a Redding body/shoulder bump die.

The Lee kit comes with the bullet seater.

So, you'd be just resizing the neck most of the time, or resizing the neck and body and then bumping back the shoulder if you discover that produces better accuracy in your gun.

Even if you decide to size just the neck, you'll still need to full resize every few reloads when the case begins to get tight in the chamber, so you need the body die, regardless.
Old June 29, 2010, 01:28 PM   #3
TXJohn

RSMITH77, There are several die sets you can purchase RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, Redding, Lee if it were me I would get the Lee 3 die set that has the Full Length, Neck, and the seating die all at a reasonable price. I bought this set myself because I load the 300 WSM for a friend and they worked well. You can always buy more expensive dies later if you think you need them. Since you are new to reloading I think these dies will work fine. If you go to midwayusa they will have any of these dies that you need. Good luck!!
Old June 29, 2010, 04:32 PM   #4
rogn

WMs

Id like to add a bit odvise, start all your loads well down in the starting area, Ive seen too many cases w/wsms where a medium load is a maximum load, even tothe point of sticking cases and ejector marks. Cant tell you why, whether its powder lot variations, or gun variations. Ive just seen more of this in wsms yhan any other calibers. 3-3ooWSM and 2 7mm WSM Good luck and enjoy it. The money youll save willbe hard to beleive.
Old June 29, 2010, 08:41 PM   #5
RSMITH77

any sugestoins to a good combination of powder to bullet. i have been doing some research but cant decided what combo i want to use
Old June 29, 2010, 11:49 PM   #6
hoghunting

I use Hornady 165 gr Interbonds with RL-19, but developed these loads before RL-17 was on the market. RL-17 was made for the Short mags and is supposed to have a faster velocity. I am extremely happy with my loads, but will probably try RL-17 some day.
Old June 30, 2010, 09:11 AM   #7
rogn

Ive found R-19 to give the best results both in accuracy and velocity w/ the 3oo. I was loading the Nosler part 180gr. Tried the accubond and found I liked the partition better(a tad cheaper too). Since then Ive been working with the 165/168 Barnes TSX, o far Im pleased withe TSX. No game shot yet w/ 300 but V good results in 7mm loads. Also not impressed w/ R-17 so far. Only minor increase in velocity, accuracy not as good. Have tried H-1000 in 7mm, and was impressed. Havent tried in 300 yet. Will work on it soon as planned trip to South Africa next year. TSX are quite impressive and you can drop back one wgt, 300/180 to 300/165. One elk and afew deer, havent recovered on yet.
Old July 1, 2010, 08:35 AM   #8
sourdough44

My usual loads for the 300WSM are 165 gamekings & 180 grn partitions with a charge of H 4350 powder. I don't load at all out max. I call it my 30-06 +p load.
Old July 1, 2010, 09:15 AM   #9
rogn

Check 6mmbr.com, there are a couple of stckys in the loading forums that cover this topic.