The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 27, 2010, 01:05 PM   #1
gnomus

Neck Turning 50 BMG with Sinclair Tool

I've been trying to use the Sinclair 5000NT kit for neck turning 50 BMG. I'm not having a great deal of success.

The kit comes with an expander die. However, I have found that this stage is next to impossible to perform. I have tried using RCBS Case Lube 2, in varying amounts and the Lee White Lube also in varying amounts. The cases do not want to go fully into the resizer die. I can get them so far in then they stick. It then becomes an almighty effort to get them out again.

I have been able to get say 3-4 cases into and out of the die - but this is by using enormous amounts of force to get them in and hammering the press handle to get them out. I can't believe this is right.

Does anyone have any experience of using this tool for 50 BMG neck turning? If so, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 27, 2010, 11:11 PM   #2
cv73

i dont think that is your problem.where did you get the brass,it could have been fired in a machine gun that have larger chambers and the brass has been blowen out to that chamber.
i have had the same problem with that type of brass and had to resize it in a hydo press to get it back to size then it was alright.
it will take some time but if you lube a case and work it in then back out and keep doing it you will get it where it should be but it is alot of work.
good luck
Old June 28, 2010, 09:21 AM   #3
gnomus

Thank you for your reply. The brass did come from fired machine gun rounds. However, I have full-length resized it. It took a lot less effort to full length resize than it did to neck expand. That is what makes me think that something else is going on.
Old June 28, 2010, 09:29 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

That's bizarre. I was going to ask if you'd found plated steel cases by mistake, but if they resize easily, that's unlikely. My only experience is with the Sinclair standard expander for small rounds. Their tech people are friendly, though, and do a lot of competitive shooting, so they try all these things out themselves. I would give them a call. They've probably encountered the issue.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 28, 2010, 11:30 PM   #5
rg1

Not familiar with the Sinclair tool or the expander but I'd recommend Dillions case lube and using a nylon neck brush to apply the lube generously to the inside of the necks. I would also recommend trimming all cases to the minimum recommended trim length of 3.900" before trying to uniform the neck just because a lot of once fired military brass is several thousandths over the maximum length of 3.910" after it has been fired only once. Some are .020" or more longer. I know that trimming is recommended "after" full-length resizing . Next problem is the military crimp which is similiar to civilian "factory crimp" except the military crimps so hard that it leaves the cannelure marks on the inside of the case mouth. Even after sizing with a full-length sizing die the crimp on the case mouth does not size back to normal case neck dimensions. It will spring back farther than the rest of the neck thus being smaller. If you trim the case length you will remove part or most of this factory crimp ring at the case mouth but usually not all of it. Using your 50 case mouth deburr tool will remove some more of the factory crimp but not all. A sharp scraper, knife, etc. or a reamer just removing any of the crimp marks that are left will leave you with a uniform dimension on the inside of the case neck. That's why I don't like the "factory crimp" dies is that it deforms the case mouth. I've read that some 50 loaders of military once fired brass trims shorter than the recommended trim length just to get rid of this deformed case mouth. Like I said, I'm not familiar with your Sinclair tools but just trying to help. Good luck!
Old June 29, 2010, 12:34 AM   #6
gnomus

Thanks again. After full-length resizing I did trim the brass back to 3.900". I note what you say about the crimp. After trimming, some but not all of this was gone. I don't have Dillon lube. I did try three different lubes (Lee, Imperial Wax and RCBS) for full-length resizing, and the RCBS was the best of the bunch.

I apply a liberal quantity to the inside of the neck with a Johnson cotton bud.