The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2010, 08:05 AM   #76
benzuncle

This post has been a real hoot for me.

Poll: I'm about to buy my 27th gun. Which one should I buy?
Brand X
Brand XX
Brand A
Brand AB

The results: Of those listed, the forum members that took the time to respond overwhelmingly chose Brand XX with all sorts of accompanying info/reasons/experience.

The writer's response: I bought Brand MM.

My thinking and experience resembles those expressed in #69:
Quote:
What I find annoying are the newbie questions that show that zero effort was made to research the answers. I've only been reloading for about 3 years and I learned everything I know from various reloading forums and one manual. However I lurked in the forums for about 6 weeks and picked up a great deal of knowledge...
Reading the manuals is of great importance, but to overlook the valuable advice of those that have "been in the trenches" so to speak is folly. To all that have shared, thanks!
Old July 1, 2010, 09:00 AM   #77
Krieger9

Making fun

Why do you all have to make fun of all my previous posts!
Old July 1, 2010, 11:44 AM   #78
wncchester

"I just bought a used TC Icon gun in .270 for deer hunting in Montana. It has a gloss finish stock, a 14 lb trigger pull, and a BSA Catseye 4-32x75 scope in See-Thru rings from Walmart. My first time reloads have 107.3 grains of H-4831, Win LR primers and 250 gr. Serrico Silver tip heads in neck sized Laupua cases. I'm getting good groups but they are high and to the right. Would I get better accuracy if I used ICC primers? I'm using RCBS dies."

For sure, but only if the wind is coming from the right or behind you, winds from the left and in your face need Remington primers.

"My Lyman #46 manual says 28.5 gr. of IMR-3031 and a 170 gr. bullet is the most accurate load but it doesn't say which bullet they used. Can I shoot 1" groups with that recepit from my Win 94 and iron sights until I can get a scope for it if I shoot off sand bags on my portable shooting bench and it's not too cold? Will that load kill a deer?"

Almost certainly. But make sure you change the sand in your bags each spring to keep it from wearing out and destroying your groups.

"No matter what I do i can't get groups better than an inch and a half. Does my die set have too much headspace?"

Have you checked for a loose nut on the press lever?

Last edited by wncchester; July 1, 2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old July 1, 2010, 11:56 AM   #79
thesheepdog

Quote:
Having a bent sense of hummor or is that hummer. What would your responses really be to these reloading questions.

Here are some of mine:

"How much money can I save by reloading?" - None, I have spent it all on guns, bullets and primers.

"How do you remove live primers from an empty case?" - carefully.

"Your choice of primers?" - well Dick and Jane have always been my favorite.

"Accuracy expectations in handgun reloading?" - I never expect a handgun to be that accurate, especially with me behind the trigger.

"Virgin Brass Datum Line?" - if she is truely a virgin, she wont have a Datum Line.

"Plated vs copper jacket?" - I prefer leather jackets.

"Gifted a XL650 - What other goodies do I need to start reloading?" - Do you have a couple of weeks to read the posts that will follow.

".357 Shot shells" - I have heard of 10 gauge, 12 gauge, 16 gauge, 18 gauge, 20 gauge and even 28 and 410, but 357 gauge? Oh you must mean 38 snake shot.

"Help with Bullseye Load?" - if you can shoot bullseyes you don't need any help, even if your loaded.

"Hornady Get Loaded Promotion" - I'll drink to that.

"338 RUM loads" - I'll drink to that too.

"Not sure about this..." - A truer word has never been spoken.

"How much money can I save by reloading?" - Half the price of factory ammo
"How do you remove live primers from an empty case?" - use your gun to fire off the primer, then remove
"Your choice of primers?" - CCI
"Accuracy expectations in handgun reloading?" - More so than factory

"Plated vs copper jacket?" - jacket

"Help with Bullseye Load?" - trial an error

"338 RUM loads" - good luck!

"Not sure about this..." - i thikn we can all agree on that one.
Old July 1, 2010, 03:54 PM   #80
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day.
Quote:
Why do you all have to make fun of all my previous posts!
'cose they deserve it!
Old July 1, 2010, 11:59 PM   #81
sc928porsche

If all else fails, read the instructions......................
Sometimes I live by that creed and regret it! Fortunately it hasnt been applied to anything serious.
Old July 2, 2010, 01:09 PM   #82
Farmland

What Press should I buy?

A Fire engine has six wheels and six men.
Six and six equals 12
There are 12 inches in a ruler
Queen Elizabeth was the ruler of England
England sailed the seas
The seas has fish
The fish have fins
The Fins fought the Russians
The Russians are red
There for you should buy a red press
Old July 2, 2010, 09:06 PM   #83
P-990

"Will bullet XX shoot well in my XY?" Only one way to find out.

"Do you use a 1:9" or a 1:7" twist on your AR-15 to maximize accuracy with 55gr ball?" Neither, ball ammo will bite equally in both.

"Can't figure out my accuracy problem with X." Check trigger nut for tightness.

"What bullets do you prefer for XX caliber?" Whatever's cheapest, we'll work out the details later.

And a question I will admit to having asked, "What is the best powder for XX cartridge and bullet?"

The answer? Still haven't found out yet.

Quote:
Q. What's a good load for NRA High Power Rifle?
A. A 168 grain hpbt spitzer bullet over 41.0 grains of 4895.
Naw, everybody knows it's 23.5gr of RL-15 or Varget and a 77 or 75gr HPBT.
Old July 2, 2010, 10:30 PM   #84
Blue Grass

My idiot Brother-in-law asked me if shooting reloads would blow up his gun.I couldn't resist saying,"In your case, yes." I'd love to nominate him for a Darwin Award. He's living proof that some people shouldn't be allowed to reproduce or own a gun.
Old July 2, 2010, 11:23 PM   #85
micksis86

I think were all guilty of asking a question like one of these at some point. and maybe people are taking this thread a little seriously, some posts are halarious but i would still prefer that people ask a question no matter how dumb it may be than they hurt themselves or somebody else.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by micksis86; July 2, 2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old July 4, 2010, 12:36 AM   #86
burrhead

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. There is a chronic lack of basic high school math/physics knowledge exhibited by some who post here. It can be frustrating that folks involved in an exacting endeavor can’t think through simple problems for themselves and, therefore, rely on the advice of anonymous posters. I started reloading 35 years ago and knew no other reloaders; yeah, I learned it by reading books, making mistakes, and thinking through problems. A lot of the questions that come up on this forum just show a lack of common sense possessed by the posters. Keep the irony coming.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.

Tags
correction details