The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2010, 01:17 AM   #1
Jim243

The REAL answers I would like to post to reloading questions

Having a bent sense of hummor or is that hummer. What would your responses really be to these reloading questions.

Here are some of mine:

"How much money can I save by reloading?" - None, I have spent it all on guns, bullets and primers.

"How do you remove live primers from an empty case?" - carefully.

"Your choice of primers?" - well Dick and Jane have always been my favorite.

"Accuracy expectations in handgun reloading?" - I never expect a handgun to be that accurate, especially with me behind the trigger.

"Virgin Brass Datum Line?" - if she is truely a virgin, she wont have a Datum Line.

"Plated vs copper jacket?" - I prefer leather jackets.

"Gifted a XL650 - What other goodies do I need to start reloading?" - Do you have a couple of weeks to read the posts that will follow.

".357 Shot shells" - I have heard of 10 gauge, 12 gauge, 16 gauge, 18 gauge, 20 gauge and even 28 and 410, but 357 gauge? Oh you must mean 38 snake shot.

"Help with Bullseye Load?" - if you can shoot bullseyes you don't need any help, even if your loaded.

"Hornady Get Loaded Promotion" - I'll drink to that.

"338 RUM loads" - I'll drink to that too.

"Not sure about this..." - A truer word has never been spoken.

What would your answers be:

Jim
Old June 26, 2010, 01:39 AM   #2
1911rocks

My favorites

"I need an accurate load" - Don't we all...what did do before the Internet?

"What is your favorite handgun/rifle/shotgun?" - The one I currently have in my hand

"Have you ever....?" - Well, not that I'd ever admit

"I never thought this would happen to me.." - Oh, wait, maybe that was Penthouse?

"My xxxx handgun shoots .5" groups at 25yds" - Right
Old June 26, 2010, 06:54 AM   #3
wncchester

"What powder should I use for my XXXXX to get 1/2" groups?" Cocaine.

"My gun won't shoot good, what should I do?" Learn to shoot.

"What should my OAL be for a 9mm with a Bullyboy 116 gr. bullet?" Gag.

"How do I find the best OAL for my Savage 110 in a wood stock, 10-30x50 Tasco scope in Walmart rings and sling with a 12 pound trigger pull?" Think.

"What's the hottest possible load for a cast 225 gr. SWC with Gas Check in a scoped Tarus 44mag and Wolf primers using H-4831, which my grandpa gave me and I have lots of?" Scoop it full and seat the bullet.

"Why do my manuals show different starting and max loads for my .237 Superwhiz long range rifle?" They want to confuse us. It works too.

"What's a good mid-range load for me?" Five pounds of dry beans.

"Why don't my rifle get the velocity the manual says, do I need better dies?" Use their rifles and your dies, the results will match theirs.

"How do I know how much to crimp my XXX ammo?" You don't, or you wouldn't ask.

"How many people use XXXX ?" They haven't told me yet.

"I accidentally trimmed my cases .000152" too short from the recommended length. Am I going to blow my gun up?" Probably, but it won't be due to case length.

"My neighbor's friend gave me some of his brother's new accuracy reloads for a .300WSM and 200 Speer RN with a 50/50 mix of IMR 4476 and WW229A. What kind of long range accuracy should I expect?" No matter the distance, you gonna hit heaven or he77 square in the middle.

"I made my first box of reloaded bullets last night. Can I shoot sparrows at 350 yards with them?" You would do as well by throwing rocks and make a lot less noise.

"I got some spray case lube and have now stuck three cases in a row in my Lee die. What am I doing wrong, or do I need better dies?" You need to take up golf.

"How many guns does everyone have?" I don't know, and how would this be helpful anyway?

"What's the best rifle scope under $50?" Use iron sights.

"I've been reloading for 10 years and want to cut back on my inventory. I load 9mm and .44 mag in handguns, .223 and .300 WM in rifle and 12 ga. shotgun. What single powder can I use in all of them?" Hodgdon 4831SC and use magnum primers.

"What's the best all-around cartridge?" .458Win, it will kill anything.

"What deer rifle does everyone use?" Make yourself a reference; get a copy of Gun Digest and photo copy the pages with centerfire rifles.

"Is it safe to remove live primers and how could I do it without blowing my head off?" Yes, and do it the same way you put them in. But, to be certain, wear insulated leather gloves, a thick hunting coat, safety goggles under a full face shield, a safety helmet, ear plugs and muffs. Plus have a fire extingusher, or two, and a first aid kit nearby.

This is fun, I've wanted to answer these type questions correctly for years! The Good Lord must really love dummies, He sure made a lot of 'em!

Last edited by wncchester; June 26, 2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old June 26, 2010, 06:57 AM   #4
dlb435

"How hot can I load XXX rounds?" Keep increasing powder until your gun blows up; then back it down 0.5 gr.
Old June 26, 2010, 08:03 AM   #5
reloader28

"My gun wont shoot good, what should I do?" You throw it down and kick the crap out of it and let it know who's the boss. Next time she'll shoot fine.
OR
You call a "gun whisperer". They're in the yellow pages. Man, they know what they're doing. I've used 4 of them myself.

All I got, I'm slow. You boys been thinkin bout this a while, huh? This is great.
Old June 26, 2010, 09:04 AM   #6
Uncle Buck

I have to admit I was thinking exactly what DLB wrote.

Another one of my favorites: I know the manual says XXXX, but I want to try XXXX, any ideas why this won't work? See post #4.

My manual says to use 700-x, but all I have is 3031, can I use the same amount of powder? Yes, by all means, use the same amount of powder, but please see post #4.

Sorry, this is just too great. I know most of these questions are probably honest and sincere (And when I started reloading, I probably posted some of them), but it shows a definite lack of understanding and the reason to read even more.
Old June 26, 2010, 09:14 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I guess I'm the only guy who doesn't see the humor in this, or maybe I just take life too seriously, I don't know. Of course, I also remember, not to long ago, when I knew almost nothing about reloading.

If you think that the handloading and reloading forum is going to be populated with experts discussing the finer points of internal ballistics and wringing out that last 1/4" at 1000 yards then I guess you'll be disappointed.

If you hang out here anyway, knowing that there are newbs who know nothing and need help and are going to ask the same questions that have been asked 1000 times before, and you feel the need to be snarky rather than helpful, well, you're definitely in the wrong place.

.... and if you think the oft suggested TFL search function is going to help most of these guys, who probably have never seen a vBulletin board before and have no idea as to the intricacies of the search function or even know that it exists, well you've probably never used the search function yourself, because it's about one step above useless, much of the time.

Then we belittle and demean the questions and suggest "reading more"... what exactly do you suppose the question was for? Maybe they were going to read the answers? Hoping maybe that someone could help?
Old June 26, 2010, 09:23 AM   #8
JT-AR-MG42

Why do people ask ...

Can I safely shoot these reloads I got from (your favorite unknown source)?

Answer; See above posts. Or, just read the handloading and reloading section here for a week. This is precisely why we do not shoot unknown ammo.

If you still don't know the answer you have probably been dropped on your head as a child.

JT
Old June 26, 2010, 09:27 AM   #9
kraigwy

Quote:
I guess I'm the only guy who doesn't see the humor in this, or maybe I just take life too seriously
Well maybe there isnt humor, ...................but think about it. Just about everyone of those questions can be answered by reading any reloading manual.

Why someone would take up re-loading without ever having read their reloading manual is beyond me.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 26, 2010, 09:38 AM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just about everyone of those questions can be answered by reading any reloading manual.
Some people don't learn well by reading books.

Reloading manuals are practically useless beyond the basics of how to actually build a cartridge that will go "Bang!".

Reloading manuals are not going to help to find out if there's a particular bullet, or case brand, or primer or powder (or charge thereof) that most or all guns of a particular cartridge seem to shoot well. (Federal Match 308, anyone?) They're not going to help you know if one component from one manufacturer is better than others, and they're not going to answer any of 10,000 other questions that come up.

and.... reloading manuals, like almost any written instruction, almost never cover "real world" scenarios that most of us find ourselves in....

and.... why should every shooter have to take the same long winding path of experimentation that the guys who have been shooting for 40 years took? If Mr. 40 Year Shooter thinks that everyone should have to follow that path, then Mr. 40 Year Shooter should not be here bitching about it, taking the chance that he might accidently spill some helpful tid-bit.

There is a difference in which die, or set, you use. The press can make a difference. Do most people like a single stage or a turret better?

What's the REAL difference between this or that brand of component?

This stuff is not covered in books and, largely because of way people choose to title their threads, is often impossible to find in the search function.

It's really simple for me: Yes, you'd better know the basic reasons why a cartridge works and you should know what the components basically do. Beyond that, we all learn differently. If someone doesn't want to answer questions pretty much from that level and up then they should probably be somewhere besides an internet reloading forum.
Old June 26, 2010, 09:50 AM   #11
Jim243

Quote:
I guess I'm the only guy who doesn't see the humor in this, or maybe I just take life too seriously, I don't know. Of course, I also remember, not to long ago, when I knew almost nothing about reloading.
Peetza, you have to cut lose every now and then or it seems just like work. One of the nice things about being on this forum is that by reading the posts I realize that even after 6 years of reloading, I still know almost nothing about reloading and there is always room to learn new things.

Have fun and refer to post #4.

Jim
Old June 26, 2010, 10:17 AM   #12
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

My favorite is: "I am new to reloading, what to I need to get started?" Whatever you do, DON'T read the sticky at the top of the page that says " For the New Reloader: Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST".

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old June 26, 2010, 10:21 AM   #13
GP100man

I`ll agree with what ya say !!

& just not on this board either !!

But it`s what we do to add another aspect to the shootin/huntin sport !
Old June 26, 2010, 10:23 AM   #14
chris in va

The OP's post title is...

Quote:
The REAL answers I would like to post to reloading questions
As in, what he'd *really* like to say but doesn't in the interest of safety.

Believe me, working in the service industry I'd LOVE to say a few choice things, but don't dare in fear of losing customers. Sure would be sweet though.
Old June 26, 2010, 10:27 AM   #15
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy
Why someone would take up re-loading without ever having read their reloading manual...
The same reason some folks will take a brand new gun straight from the factory box directly to the firing line without perusing the instruction manual.
Old June 26, 2010, 10:40 AM   #16
Edward429451

Oh, Peet. You don't understand the dynamics of humor. In order for something to be funny, there must be a wrongness involved. That's what makes this thread so dang funny! Think about all the good jokes...somebody got the short end of the stick in every one...
This is a great Sat morning thread...

What 38 load for Bear? Snake shot in thier rump.

WHat's a low recoil load for my 45acp? Take it back and get the airsoft ya ninny!

Old June 26, 2010, 10:45 AM   #17
Dr. Strangelove

Books? Manuals? What are these strange things you speak of?
Old June 26, 2010, 10:46 AM   #18
wyobohunter

Quote:
"How hot can I load XXX rounds?" Keep increasing powder until your gun blows up; then back it down 0.5 gr.
Great, I laughed loud enough to wake the baby. Now the wife is going to be pi$$ed!
Old June 26, 2010, 11:16 AM   #19
grubbylabs

Hay I resemble those questions!!

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old June 26, 2010, 01:30 PM   #20
wncchester

"If you think that the handloading and reloading forum is going to be populated with experts discussing the finer points of internal ballistics and wringing out that last 1/4" at 1000 yards then I guess you'll be disappointed."

Peet, I don't think you understand. This is all funning. We bite our lips and are polite to the real askers but here we can say what we would like to answer to those who seem to be totally unable to think. It isn't that they don't KNOW things - we are here to help them with that - but how do we "help" people who don't/won't try to understand even the basics? Not learning well from books is one thing, not learning well is another.

None of what we've mentioned here is advanced stuff but the questions are common. Seems some people want want others to spoon feed them the most fundamental things with no thinking or other effort required on their part! With just a tad of thought and a tiny bit of common sense they could figger out answers to most of those questions. Without that effort, they would do better to take up trail biking or tennis, much less likely to get killed!

I wonder how many of them have "liberal arts" college degrees. You know, the kind where students aren't required to learn anything to graduate, only that they "try really, really hard" and get a star by their name when they make it to class!

Last edited by wncchester; June 26, 2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old June 26, 2010, 01:40 PM   #21
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Never mind....

Not worth the argument.

Suffice it to say that I wouldn't have expected this attitude from many of you in this thread.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; June 26, 2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: not worth it
Old June 26, 2010, 01:43 PM   #22
oneounceload

When someone asks for a good load.................RTFM!....(oh wait, they don't have one)

What's the best powder for XXX caliber? Well, Caliber is different than cartridge, do you have a particular one in mind?

If these folks are so unwilling to read the books and instructions, perhaps we should just let them load whatever they want and let Nature take its course................
Old June 26, 2010, 01:51 PM   #23
wncchester

Peet: "I prefer to get my answers from people who genuinely want to help an don't think I'm stupid for asking what kind of primers they prefer."

Well! Just don't use my favorite primers if you don't want too!
Old June 26, 2010, 01:55 PM   #24
kodiakbeer

People make this reloading thing sound hard because most of them are stooges for the powder companies. Ya' just buy whatever powder is cheapest, fill up the brass by eye and stuff a slug in with pliers. It's a little tougher now since I have only one eye and three fingers, but that's my fault for buying cheap guns.

The only real inconvenience is not letting your cigar fall into the powder, but that problem is now solved because the hole left after eating that last slide makes a perfect place to stuff a large ring cigar.
Old June 26, 2010, 02:56 PM   #25
Jim243

And I thought I was bad, but Kodiakbeer after reading your last post, YOU DA MAN.

Tags
correction details