The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 25, 2010, 06:49 AM   #1
dae06

Lee case trimmer

I am right now trying to screw in my case length guage into the Lee cutter. Is it normal to not be able to screw it in by hand? I assume I need to screw it in until it bottoms out for a precise shell trim, but there is about 1/16" more to go. I will definelty need to use a pliers to get it in the rest of the way.

If this is normal, do you guys buy a cutter for each case length gauge so you don't have to fight with removing/installing the gauge for each caliber shell you trim?

Thanks
Old June 25, 2010, 07:11 AM   #2
rwilson452

it will loosen up after a few times. it needs to be a tight fit to keep from backing out when in use. put a rag around the gauge so you don't mar it when using pliers to tighten it.

I just bought a ball handle for each of my gauges and don't worry about it anymore.
Old June 25, 2010, 07:21 AM   #3
dae06

Thanks, I think I will go with the ball handle as well.
Old June 25, 2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Smokey Joe

You're on the right track...

Dae 06--with the idea of getting the ball handle for the Lee trimmer--it is MUCH easier to grip, IMX, especially for a lengthy session of trimming.

Another upgrade to consider for the Lee trimmer is the universal case holder--With it you don't have to change case holders when you change cartridges to trim; you just change the length gauge and you're in business. Also, since the universal holder is considerably larger in diameter than the individual holders, I think it may be easier to tighten/loosen on the case, but that may just be me.

The Lee Zip Trim case trimmer is a fine little gadget. And Lee Precision's customer service is as good as any in the industry.

ETA--Oops, I assumed that you were using the Lee Zip Trim unit, when you may just be using the original Lee trimmer which chucks into a drill or such. If you don't have the Zip Trim, you are missing out on a good thing IMHO.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; June 25, 2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Reread the OP!
Old June 30, 2010, 11:22 AM   #5
mineralman55

Lee Trimmer

I had to use a tap to clean out the threads in the cutter to get the trimmer guide rod to seat to the proper depth. Once I did that, perfection! BTW, you can put the LEE bullet holder into a powered screwdriver. Those turn at about the perfect speed for the cutter. After trimming, you can use a deburring tool to chamfer the inside and outside of the newly trimmed case. It sounds strange, but I can do a couple hundred cases a night with the Lee equipment and a battery powered screwdriver!
Old June 30, 2010, 03:30 PM   #6
dsv424

I have always chucked mine in the drill. And like you mentioned, with it set up this way you can do hundreds of cases. I usually just set it up on my coffee table in front of the boob box and just trim and de-burr hundreds of 'em at a time.