The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 3, 2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Racingsnake

Primer Problem - Help Needed

Hi

I have been seating small pistol primers today using the Lee Auto Prime and one of the primers has entered the primer pocket 'cocked' as can be seen from the picture below. I now can't remove the case from the shell holder - any ideas on how to remove the primer without an explotion?

Old July 3, 2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Xfire68

I would run it through the decaping die. It "Should" just pop it right out. I have run live seated primers through the decaping on purpose and accident and they have never gone off but, do this at your own risk and be sure to have safety glasses on!

I did it today on accident as I already had primed brass and I just tried out my new turret press and did all of the steps by mistake!
Old July 3, 2010, 05:11 PM   #3
Racingsnake

Thanks Xfire - just tried it and worked without a problem (and no explotion), but I still wore glasses.
Old July 3, 2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Smokey Joe

Depriming live primers...

Racing Snake--Yep, it's a fairly common problem, and you have done the fairly common solution. You were wise to use eye protection--Should you have to do it again, ever, I'd use earmuffs, also. Primers, when they do go off, can be surprisingly loud.

Many of us have found that if you take your time, and carefully oosh out the live primers with a decapping die, they come out with no problem.

As an experiment, I once loaded some of the removed primers into the correct cases, and loaded up the cases as normal. The recycled primers loaded normally except going into the pockets a little easier than usual. All the rounds fired normally.

You do want to kill the removed primers somehow--don't put 'em in the trash as live primers--you never know who or what might find them and what sort of mischief could ensue.

Best way to kill removed primers is to put each one on a rock and hit it with a hammer. This detonates the primer, and then it is just a little bit of inert scrap brass. Noisy, but 100% effective. Use eye & ear protection--AND gloves!

Please don't believe the urban legend about water, or oil, or any other household substance killing 100% of primers. Modern primers are tougher than that.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; July 3, 2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old July 3, 2010, 06:55 PM   #5
Racingsnake

Thanks Smokey Joe. That's helpful.