The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 28, 2010, 08:29 PM   #1
BRAVO1NINER

Lee Bench Stand

I installed the new Lee bench stand today...I like it..I have three presses and now I can use whichever I want and the others are in the cabinet...Locks down tight and doesn't move....Just my $.02.......

BRAVO1NINER
Old June 28, 2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Tex S

I saw those in American Rifleman... looks pretty cool. Wonder how much fabrication it would take to get a Co-Ax mounted on the same base?
Old June 29, 2010, 01:58 AM   #3
snuffy

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...cessories.html

Don't buy it! Why? Because I did, and nearly had a LCT ,(lee classic turret), on the floor!
I Mounted the base, to the loading bench, mounted the press to the WOODEN plate,(plywood). Then proceeded to load some 7.62 X 54R. While priming, the primers were hard to press in, so I got ahold of the back of the press to give me more leverage. The press slipped out of the hold-downs! Since I had both hands on it, I caught it before it dropped on the floor.

The hold-downs are a "Z" metal formed piece of sheet steel. They're held to the base plate by 4 PHILLIPS screws. They're supposed to clamp the wooden plate the press is on to the steel plate on the bench. In reality, they only have a very small edge to grip the wood plate. I solved the problem by placing a couple fiber emory boards, (Ya know the kind you use to smooth yer finger nails with after clipping them), under the wood plate to grip both it and the steel plate.

I called lee with a complaint on it, the guy on the phone said I was the first to complain. He had me take a few measurements of the thickness of the plywood plates. He promised he'd look into it. That was almost 2 months ago!

I plan on mounting my Lee classic cast on the same base, so I can switch from LCT to LCC.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 30, 2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Lemmon

I got my Lee bench plate and installed a Lyman Orange Crusher single stage press on it and have had no problems with it popping out. Yes I had to tighten those 4 screws tight but it held. My bench is very sturdy and the convenience of switching presses and other stuff off the bench is nice. I tried hooking my progressive RCBS Ammo Master using the Lee bench plate and found it was unstable. I mounted (bolted) the progressive press directly on another bench and have no problems since. I guess it depends on the size of the equipment that you use. Good Idea but not suitable for all presses. Lemmon
Old June 30, 2010, 11:38 PM   #5
Hook686

For the Do-it-yourself buff ...

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com...ch-free-plans/

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.