The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 23, 2010, 05:55 PM   #1
BRAVO1NINER

Switch To Lee Pro 1000

I recently switched to a Lee 1000...I'm having trouble with the last 5 or 6 primers...they won't feed correctly...Has this happened to anyone else??

BRAVO1NINER
Old June 23, 2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Inspector3711

Yes. it's best to keep the primer tray loaded up on that thing. A trick you can try is trickling some graphite powder down the feed chute. Just a fine dusting.
Old June 23, 2010, 08:04 PM   #3
l98ster

I had a Pro 1000 and what you are experiencing is on par with everyone else. The way to correct the condition (for the most part) is to make sure the primer feed is always at least 1/4 full. Also (with a can of air), keep the area where the plastic shoot meets the machine clean.

You need the primer tray somewhat full so the weight of the primers aids in the feeding.

Take my word for it, if even one flake of powder is under the primer mechanism (the little pedistal thing that pushed the primer into the case), you will have a primer feed nightmare. all it takes is one primer not to feed and the powder will leak through the flash hole onto the machine.

Keep the machine really clean, and full of primers, and it should be OK.

-George
Old June 23, 2010, 09:40 PM   #4
BRAVO1NINER

Thanks....I thought that was the answer...Keep the primers loaded..

BRAVO1NINER
Old June 24, 2010, 02:59 AM   #5
Lost Sheep

So, that means you have a tiger by the tail

If you have to keep the primer chute filled (as I do to keep the primers feeding through) that means you have to keep filling it and never stop loading rounds.

I know that sounds like heaven to some folks, but I have to go to work occasionally.

My solution is to have made primer-assist tool that inserts in the chute through the central slot. It is shaped to match the curvature of the chute and a springy "handle" comes off to the side so my hand can apply gentle pressure to replace the gravity push that a full chute would normally give.

It is a bent paper clip.

Paper clips. My most commonly used raw material for making custom tools. Second only to bobby pins (at least until women stopped wearing them all the time, now my supply has dried up).

The difficult primer feeding is one of the most compelling reasons I have for considering switching from my two Pro-1000s to a Classic Turret. The primer feed device is supposedly more positive. I don't know for sure about that, but I have seen videos and am sure it at least allows you to more easily fix it if you do have a primer go in sideways.

Lost Sheep
Old June 24, 2010, 09:33 AM   #6
McClintock

Like Lost Sheep, I have used a "tool" to gently coax the last half-dozen or so primers from the chute on a Pro 1000 as well; I use a golf tee. Works slick.

Other than that, like everyone else suggested, keep the tray full.

I haven't found this to be much of a problem unless I absolutely HAVE to have the last 5-6 primers from the chute. Then I use my handy "primer motivation tool" to move the last few into the primer punch. For the amount of time it takes, just a few seconds, it works for me.

Cheers!
McClintock
Old June 27, 2010, 04:46 PM   #7
BRAVO1NINER

Another Question

Is the primer feeder on the Pro 1000 also for large primers???

I bought something from Lee that I thought sent me both small and large feed tubes and primer seaters....How does a large primer go down those tubes. Seems too small.......

BRAVO1NINER
Old June 27, 2010, 05:52 PM   #8
Mike-Mat

There are 2 different primer feed chutes for the Lee 1000 and the Loadmaster ( I believe they're both the same). Small and Large. Lee tells you to keep the full. If you read the primer feed instructions/documentation (Like any man will do that), they also recommend specific brands of primers. I was using Federal and they are known to cause problems. They suggest CCI and Winchester. I switched to CCI and some of my primer problems went away.
Old June 29, 2010, 06:29 AM   #9
MKK

Quote:
I was using Federal and they are known to cause problems. They suggest CCI and Winchester. I switched to CCI and some of my primer problems went away.
First time I have heard that. What problems did you have? Did you have any seated flipped or upside down with the Feds?

Best thing for accessory on the 1000 that I found is a can of compressed air. Go slow, keep the primer tray filled, keep the shell plate and primer trough clean, correctly index, and have fun.
Old June 29, 2010, 09:43 AM   #10
McClintock

I seem to remember...

IIRC, the instructions (yup, I actually read them!) with the Lee Pro 1000 specifically say not to use Federal primers, but the use of CCI and Winchester are okay. They cite a higher risk of detonation with Federals than other brands, I believe.

That being said, I have run thousands of Federal primers through a Pro 1000 with no issues (other than the occasional crushing of a primer when the tray gets low and they don't slide completely into the primer punch area). I've also run thousands of Winchester primers through the Pro 1000 with no major issues.

Hope that helps!

Cheers!
McClintock
Old June 29, 2010, 10:26 AM   #11
TRguy

I had a Pro 1000 (UPgraded a while back to a Hornady L'N'L Progressive)

The primer feeding system was my biggest dislike on the Lee Pro 1000 and close behind was the penchent to work itself out of time on the indexing mechanism.

As mentioned keep a can of compressed air about, and yes primers didn't feed correct when they got down to the last few. I used a pick to keep tension on the primers as I indexed. Allowed me to load the specific amount of ammunition I wanted with out having to overfill the primer tray.