The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2010, 02:58 PM   #1
Colorado Redneck

Calhoun 30 gr in 22 Hornet

Anybody have any dope on the Calhoun for 22 Hornet? The guy that sells me guns gave me a handfull of them, and it would be helpful to have a little bit of an idea what might work. I looked on the Reloaders Nest and there was one load that looked interesting using H110, but the load had a pretty big charge and was hot.

Any input would be great! I heard that Calhoun would provide reloading data but the web page, aside from being difficult to navigate didn't have any means of contacting them.
Old June 26, 2010, 05:46 PM   #2
dahermit

You sure it is 30 grain? I use Calhoon 45 grain double hollow points in my 22 Hornet and get excellent accuracy. Just off the top of my head I think that I use 10.5 grains of LilGun ( a Hodgdon powder). I remember before I found that load, none of the traditional Hornet powders were either accurate and had problems with primer pockets loosening before working up produced the desired accuracy. No wonder the Hornet has a reputation for being finicky.
Nevertheless, LilGun proved to be the powder for my 22 Hornet in a modern Browning Low-wall...my very favorite gun; sits by the window for shots at chucks, and fox in my pasture (silicone lube on the window track lets me lift the window without noise).
Old June 26, 2010, 08:21 PM   #3
Colorado Redneck

From the Calhoun website

BULLETS; 22 CALIBER

250 pcs 1000 pcs
•30 gr DBL HP
$40.15 $156.50

I loaded 4 rounds with 12 gr. of H110, which is the best powder charge I have found for the Barnes 30 gr. Varmint Grenade. We'll see at the range next week.

Last edited by Colorado Redneck; June 26, 2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old June 28, 2010, 08:45 PM   #4
Colorado Redneck

Range Results! 22 hornet with Calhoun 30 gr

Well, the day was so darn nice, and with a whole day out driving around with guns and prairie dogs that need to be sent to that big hole in the sky, the first stop was the shooting range.

The Calhoun bullets did not disappoint. Only made four rounds, using H110. Average velocity was 3177 fps and the group was just a shade over 3/8 inch. Not too bad considering the fact the this was the only load. The future has Calhoun written all over it!