The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 19, 2014, 01:24 PM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

A shooting trajectory question

In your best guess, what would be the minimum angle to the ground to be guaranteed of no ricochet? For the sake of argument the ground is clayey soil, neither frozen nor wet.

I have four tracts to shoot on, 400 acres total, but separated into 200 acre to 40 acre plots. On each tract there are trees, but beyond the trees are rural roads. Also, the FIL's cows roam around as well.

I'm thinking a minimum of 45 degrees. Anything less is too shallow and ricochet would result.

thoughts?
Old November 19, 2014, 02:19 PM   #2
Doyle

Without a berm, I'm not sure any angle can guarantee no ricochet. If you watch videos of machine guns shooting tracer rounds even at vertical surfaces you'll see the tracer rounds ricocheting all over the place. The only safe way I know of is to either build a soft berm or a bullet trap.
Old November 19, 2014, 03:12 PM   #3
wogpotter

I think composition is more important than angle. I've seen riciocets from hard surfaces at many angles, some of then 45degreees & up, but its less so from soft surfaces that can absorb the bullet more easily.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 19, 2014, 04:31 PM   #4
FoghornLeghorn

I've only shot one deer from a deerstand. It was probably at a 45 degree angle. 44 mag handgun with handloads. I never gave any thought to where the bullet went after it exited the deer.

Now my hunting area isn't as large as before and I'm concerned re where the bullet stops.
Old November 20, 2014, 09:58 PM   #5
Doc TH

I don't think there can be any "guarantee". However, barring hitting rock or frozen ground you may be close at 45 deg. The problem you will run into is that as you increase the desired angle of incidence, the required target height may become impractical. A berm is safer and more practical.