The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 16, 2014, 11:35 AM   #1
baddarryl

Fit and Finish?

Hi all. I know this sounds like a really stupid question, but how to you guys evaluate fit and finish? I hear things like metal to wood etc. I really have no idea how to evaluate the quality of guns by means other than reputation, reliability and feel.
Old November 16, 2014, 03:42 PM   #2
Crankgrinder

Reliability and feel are important. Reputation is as well but for a different reason, resale. Does it have leftover tool marks? Are there sharp edges/corners? Is the surface finish smooth and even? Does it's trigger feel smooth and break clean? Whe you rack the slide does it feel like it's on ball bearings or does it feel gritty? Does it fit together tight (but not too tight) or is it loose and rattle like a tin can with lots of play in it?
Old November 17, 2014, 09:39 AM   #3
Skans

Here's how I evaluate "fit and finish".

Fit will be different depending on whether you are talking shotguns, rifles, or handguns - and then you can break it down further to revolvers and autos. But, essentially, it's the degree of precision a gun maker uses in keeping the tolerances between moving parts to a minimum. In the case of shotguns its how one indication of quality is how well the wood stock is fitted to the receiver. Gaps, unevenness, etc is an indication of cheaper work. Other types of "fit" that people will talk about is "cylinder gap" on revolvers (less being better) and slide to frame fit on autos. The theory is that the better the fit, the slicker the action.

Finish has to do with how well the receiver/frame is finished, as well as the internal parts. If you can see machine marks, the finish is a cheaper grade. See for example the Remington For example, the Remington R51 had a bad reputation for poor fit and lousy internal finish because you could see machine marks on the inside of the slide. I have a CZ 75B high polish or "glossy" blue and a Colt Ultimate Bright Stainless Gold Cup. Both look glossy/shiny at a couple feet. But, if you look at both guns with a magnifying glass you can see that the Colt has a finer polish to it and you can see swirls and lines in the CZ.
Old November 18, 2014, 12:41 AM   #4
KyJim

I'll just add that there is some correlation between fit and the reliability, durability, accuracy, and/or precision of the firearm. The finish is more cosmetic but an indicator of manufacturer/owner pride.

Think of a roughly sanded wood table top with a just a coat of primer on it. Then compare it to a finely sanded table top made from the same wood with multiple layers of varnish, lightly sanded with fine steel wool between coats, and which is then nicely waxed or coated with a polyurethane finish. Both have more or less the same functionality but which would you prefer to own?