The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 7, 2010, 10:59 PM   #1
bassfishindoc

New Remington 700 stock

Hey everybody. I have a new stock coming in for my Remington 700 SPS Varmint tomorrow. I have never exchanged a stock before and I have a few questions. The stock I purchased has an aluminum bedding block and can be seen here: http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...cuBlock/Detail
My main question is how much torque do I put on the action screws. I have a Wheeler torque wrench to do the job, I just don't know how much. Also, is there any sort of compound I should put on the action screws before I install them. I have some of the "purple stuff" from Wheeler that they say to put on screws for scope bases and rings, do I need to put this on the action screws as well? Lastly, will I be able to achieve a free floated barrel with this stock and aluminum block and will free floating require any modifications to the stock? Thanks in advance for the help!
East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine
Old November 8, 2010, 12:39 AM   #2
Rob228

I went H&S precision with my stock and they recommend 65 inch pounds for action screws. I have the same Wheeler wrench you mentioned, but I had H&S include one of theirs when I bought the stock, as I hear the Wheeler is finicky at the higher ends of its torque spectrum. It should work though, I have tried both while taking my 700 apart and putting it back together. 65 should do you right, and you certainly won't break any screws at 65 inch pounds.
Old November 9, 2010, 04:55 PM   #3
bassfishindoc

Just in case anybody was curious, I called Remington to get their recommendation as to the action screw torque. They say the 700 action screws require 35 inch/lbs of torque. I have the stock installed and will post pictures as soon as I find my camera.
East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine
Old November 12, 2010, 04:42 PM   #4
Toddco

torque specs.

wow, i have always torqued mine at 55 in lbs.! Rmeington says 35????????, even for magnums?
Old November 24, 2010, 03:10 PM   #5
railer12

Winchester says 35 on my model 70 also.