The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 11, 2000, 05:58 PM   #1
Glamdring

Or in other words is it an improved cartridge like the Ackley's? Or is it a wildcat? Can you just fire a factory 22 Hornet in a K Hornet chamber?
Old July 11, 2000, 06:21 PM   #2
Cheapo

Gee, I thought that was the only way to make a K-Hornet.

Old memories. Subject to confirmation by others.
Old July 11, 2000, 06:30 PM   #3
Glamdring

Well all the info I can track down so far doesn't say. I wasn't sure if you needed to use forming dies or not.

Do you lose cases at all when forming the factory load, or handload, to the K Hornet?

I like the power level of the Hornets but a little concerned about brass life. Would be in TC Contender or Encore rifles and maybe some day in a custom drilling.
Old July 11, 2000, 07:56 PM   #4
PJR

I've been looking at this cartridge and the shooters I know who use it say the K-Hornet is an improved cartridge. Fire the standard cartridge to form. They also say to expect some brass loss during fire forming, maybe one out of every 20 cases and recommend neck sizing only.
Old July 11, 2000, 08:10 PM   #5
JimWolford

The original purpose of the Kilburn chambering was to get a shoulder to headspace on. It works quite well in that regard.

Just remember to neck size only after the cases have been formed and don't push the shoulder back accidently ( easy to do )

I never had much problem with case loss in the forming stage, you will loose more cases by dropping them in tall grass than by splitting while fire-forming <BG>

Jim

------------------
Lay up some blackpowder and flints
The rest we can build, if need be
Old July 11, 2000, 08:29 PM   #6
Glamdring

I am looking for a inexpensive, mild, varmint cartridge that is reloadable to handle short range shooting [less than 150 usually max 200].

Am I on the right track with the 22 Hornet? What about the 22 Jet [357 necked down to 22]?

I am thinking the 22's make the most sense because of bullet selection.
Old July 13, 2000, 06:00 PM   #7
Chris McDermott

The original Hornet cartridges used a bullet that was .001" smaller than the rest of the .22's - .223" versus .224". This can cause accuracy problems as rifles have been built with both the normal .22 diameter bore and the smaller Hornet diameter. Looked on the Sierra web site and they list the Hornet seperately with both .223" and .224" diameter bullets.

The Hornet is a great choice for a short range varminter, and the various "improved" versions really are an improvement over the original - just make sure you use bullets that match your barrel diameter.