The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 6, 2001, 01:44 PM   #1
Lavan

The birds are bustin'....SACRILEGE!

I went into another of my semi annual trap slumps. Jumping the target. Tried everything. Watching the other pulls, CONCENTRATING on the house, the space in front of the house and STILL catching myself chasing a straightaway when it was goin hard right.
Tried the WRONG thing an it's working. Can't believe it. I am looking HARD at the SIGHT. I know.....that's wrong!!!!
BUT....I am lookin at the sight and calling pull and suddenly like a live bird I see a target take off and I follow it. Kinda like hunting.
I don't advise it, but it is working.

TRAP.....grrrrrr.
Old July 6, 2001, 02:53 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

My advice, walk away from it. Do something else for a bit. Get back in slow, and remember it's only a pastime.
Old July 6, 2001, 04:32 PM   #3
Dave R

Just how wrong is it to concentrate on the sight? The full choke barrel on my SXS double shoots low right. The modified barrel is right on. The only way I can bust 'em with the full choke barrel is to "aim" high left. I practice a lot, hoping that when hunting season comes I won't forget to "aim" high left.
Old July 6, 2001, 07:35 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Dave, you're aiming,and that tends to make the swing stop long enough to shoot behind. I've seen folks who were very good with their shotguns who had knocked the bead off at some point and never bothered to get it replaced. Good fit and form, of course.

Bbl regulation is why the Brits can charge the price of a good car for a SxS. Getting both bbls to not only shoot to the same point but where the shooter is looking is both art and science, engineering and arcania.

All's not lost, maybe. Since different loads pattern and impact in different places, you may find a load that will shoot closer to the other bbl.

Or, Briley(and maybe others) does a lot of work with eccentric chokes and even rebores fixed chokes off center to bring the POIs together. Tain't cheap, but I'd do it if I really liked the gun otherwise.