The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 23, 2011, 10:53 PM   #1
jrsaw27

What to parkerize?

Got an old rifle, Ishy 2A1 that needs refinishing, Ive polished the guts (trigger, sear, pins, firing pins, etc) cleaned the snot (cosmoline) out of it, got into EVERY nook and cranny. just about ready to degrease, blast, and parkerize several components (Receiver, trigger, etc)

My question is what should I definitely not park? I know to use dowels, ear plugs, etc to plug holes. should I cover threads as well? The biggest question is to park the firing pin or not. I know not to leave it in for very long 5-20 at most to keep the dimensions. I probably will jewel the bolt, and park everything else.

Dont care too much about the looks, im looking for a great protection from rust with out paints, i like park finishes.

-jrsaw27
Old October 23, 2011, 11:01 PM   #2
quepasakimosabe

i would parkerize any exposed area that are exposed when assembled. Tight tolerance parts such as barrel threads and fine thread machine screws I would not. I would not parkerize my firing pin either since its a small difference between a struck primer and a punctured one. But hey its your gun, and if I had a nickle for doing things that people told me not to do that worked id be a very rich man. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old October 24, 2011, 11:47 AM   #3
jrsaw27

Thanks

Thanks for you input, sometimes you just get a little caught up in one aspect and forget part of the purpose.

Any one else, keep the firing pin shiny or parked?

And when I park, ay a exterior screw, do i cover the threads with tape, pottery clay, or somthing and drop in or hold it just below the water's surface to save the threads?
Old October 24, 2011, 06:39 PM   #4
quepasakimosabe

clay itsnt water (liquid proof) but small screw threds can be hard to tape off. I would just park the whole screw and chase threads with a die later if you have difficulty installing the screw. If you have access to Parkerizing equipment you probably have access to Dies of the appropriate size. You know what they say about assumptions though...
To sum it up: Somewhere there is a TRUE BELIEVER training, he will not stop in his mission, he knows only the cause. What have you done today? For your brothers at arms, friends, family, your country, yourself?

Tags
bolt , finish , ishapore , park , parkerize