The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 20, 2011, 09:04 AM   #26
Dain Bramage

Quote:
is it me, or is the slide off center from the frame, and the barrel in relation to the slide......
I believe that was the issue he was trying to illustrate with the fore and aft pictures.
Old June 20, 2011, 09:58 AM   #27
WC145

Is Coonan willing to fix the gun? I mean, an offer of a refund is certainly admirable and rare but I'd think that a willingness to make the gun right would say more. I have a Springfield Loaded that I bought for duty carry that had horrible slide/frame fit issues. I called and sent them pics and told them what I bought the gun for and Springfield made good on it by not only replacing the slide but gutting the gun and handfitting it with TRP parts and doing an action job. The gun I got back was far better than the one I sent them. That says more to me than "return it and I'll give you your money back".

I have an unfired/NIB original Coonan Model B, the fit and finish are better than PParcels' gun.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old June 20, 2011, 09:59 AM   #28
Primered

I'll Lose Some Sleep After That Post

I have a Coonan on order myself. Actually, I have until tomorrow to cancel but given the fact that it's the first really negative news I've had about the Coonan, I'll take my chances. 1911mag, I hope you're reading this.

Regardless of the problems you've had, I'd still be very interested on how it shot. You mentioned a couple of FTF. How was it otherwise? Accuracy? Hope things workout for you. It is a relief to know that Coonan will issue a refund or perhaps replace a problem gun

Pete (Primered)
Old June 20, 2011, 02:48 PM   #29
PParcells

So i called and spoke to Connie in customer service, she said she would have Dan Coonan himself call me, and see if we cant make things right. I'll let you guys know what he says when i hear back.
Old June 20, 2011, 03:07 PM   #30
FALshootist

These guns originally came out in the transitional period for police between revolvers and universal acceptance of semi-autos. Consequently, the 357 mag in a frame similar to the 1911 seemed like a winner.

A couple of decades later and at least for me, its an answer in need of a question. There are a number of semi autos that work just as well for self defense without having to worry about the 357 mags rimmed cartridge's semi reliability in a semi-auto (this really isn't an issue in a 22 target gun, but it is in a self defense or woods gun).

And if you really need 357 mag to light 41 mag performance there are a number of 10mms that handle that just fine like the G20. And you can find G20 parts and mags anywhere. I'll admit that hot 10mm isn't as easy to find as 357 mag, but its not like looking for the Holy Grail either. Plus 357 mag revolvers are everywhere if you really need a 357 mag.

If you want a collector's item or curisosity, well then this large expensive limited production gun is probably for you. It just doesn't strike me a practical anything gun.
Old June 20, 2011, 03:26 PM   #31
Don Glock

Quote:
I have a Coonan on order myself. Actually, I have until tomorrow to cancel but given the fact that it's the first really negative news I've had about the Coonan, I'll take my chances.
check out the pics from a a few owners on 1911forum. they're all consistent in that this is the standard build quality that you will receive. if you don't think you'll like it, i would cancel.
Old June 20, 2011, 03:47 PM   #32
Dain Bramage

Quote:
check out the pics from a a few owners on 1911forum. they're all consistent in that this is the standard build quality that you will receive. if you don't think you'll like it, i would cancel.
Nobody on the 1911forum is ripping on Coonan like you are.
Old June 20, 2011, 04:19 PM   #33
Don Glock

Quote:
Nobody on the 1911forum is ripping on Coonan like you are.

sorry if you have problems accepting the truth, but i'm offering info on what i've seen to help others decide if they want to spend their hard earned money on a product. ignore it if it bothers you.

here's one of the detailed pic threads on 1911forum on the coonan. take a looks at the pics, and tell me if that quality is acceptable to you:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...ghlight=coonan
Old June 20, 2011, 04:27 PM   #34
LockedBreech

I'm unsure of the market niche this product is meant to occupy. As far as I know (in my limited experience), the .357 Magnum's terminal ballistics aren't that much of an improvement over the .45 ACP the 1911 was designed for.

Is it for primarily revolver shooters who don't want to have to buy/reload a new round? Or is it just a curiosity? Steep price tag for a novelty.
Old June 20, 2011, 04:48 PM   #35
PParcells

I talked to Dave a few moments ago, and we got things set straight, seems as if we may have had some miscommunication, but we're square now. Im sending my pistol back tomorrow to have them go over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure its up to snuff and address my concerns, and i'll get a call back to discuss my findings. I'm happy, he's happy, we're good to go!
Old June 20, 2011, 04:54 PM   #36
PParcells

also, as far as the .357 in a 1911 frame being a niche market, i have to disagree. im surprised its taken this long. .357 is one of the most ubiquitous cartriges. you can literally get it anywhere in the country. i've seen gas stations in podunk towns stocked with it, and in a huge variety of ballistic performances. its cheap, its effective, and i can now share ammo among my aresenal. it just makes sense. im hoping to build a semi auto carbine for plinking with, maybe that will accept my coonan mags. still in the development phase on that though.
Old June 20, 2011, 05:16 PM   #37
orionengnr

Quote:
here's one of the detailed pic threads on 1911forum on the coonan. take a looks at the pics, and tell me if that quality is acceptable to you:
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...ghlight=coonan
I don't see a thing wrong with it, and neither did the guy who bought two of them (Sarge43, the OP of the 1911 Forum thread). He wrote a detailed review with no negatives.
Similarly, none of the other people who viewed the pics and posted on the thread saw anything worthy of a negative comment.

You, on the other hand, have five posts on this one thread running down the Coonan. Methinks thou dost protest too much.
Old June 20, 2011, 05:31 PM   #38
MLeake

Not sure I want to spend the money on one at this time, but I can see a couple appealing aspects of the Coonan concept.

1) Coonan owners (original and new) seem to gain a good 150-200fps over their similar barrel length revolvers (seems most of the Coonan guys also have .357 revolvers, big surprise) due to the lack of B/C gap.

2) Coonan should be more comfortable for IWB, if one prefers IWB, than a large frame .357 revolver.

3) With regard to the ballistics as compared to the .45acp, LawScholar, I'm afraid you've got it a bit backwards. Whether you want to look at Marshall & Sanow (I'm not a big fan, but....) who give the anti-BG nod to the 125gr JHP .357, or hunting utility, where you can get flatter trajectory, much better sectional density, and much deeper penetration from a 180gr .357 round, the .45 does NOT have better ballistic performance.

Edit: Don Glock, note also that the 10mm can offer similar performance against soft targets, such as deer, to the .357. It can typically match speeds at a given bullet weight with the .357. However, if using bullets of the same weight, it will always lose the sectional density battle. At the top end of the useable bullet range, the .357 will always have better SD than the 10mm. And assuming bullets of similar SD (IE heavier 10mm bullet), the .357 will have higher velocity and better trajectory.

So, for bear defense, or hunting, if you want bigger than .357, the .41 or .44 are the next steps, not the 10mm.
Old June 20, 2011, 05:32 PM   #39
Don Glock

Quote:
You, on the other hand, have five posts on this one thread running down the Coonan. Methinks thou dost protest too much.
methinks you lack an eye for quality, and protest much

continue to tally up my posts, if you have nothing better to do

(this is number 6 )

p.s. you must not have read the review either, as the owner wasn't thrilled with the fit quality
Old June 20, 2011, 05:36 PM   #40
MLeake

Don Glock, I see massive irony in a Glock fanboy attacking cosmetic issues of any other gunmaker.

Normally Glock guys attack functional issues, since that's normally a Glock advantage. Aesthetics, appearance, etc are NOT Glock selling points.
Old June 20, 2011, 05:43 PM   #41
orionengnr

If you are talking about Sarge's review, yes, I've read it and several other threads he has posted about the Coonan. As a matter of fact, I've pretty much been reading everything I can find on them since late last year, when they announced that they would be going into production. I plan on buying one when funds permit.
Old June 20, 2011, 05:45 PM   #42
Primered

As for me, I'll keep the order in. I've seen those pics and in fact have had communication with sarge43 and several others who own and like the Coonan. I am far more interested in function over form so I'm not seeing anything there that has me worried to the extent I'd cancel. In addition, I've talked to Mr. Coonan and was satisfied with what I heard. I would also be the first to admit that while I'm really into a well-functioning gun, the wow factor and uniqueness have captured me as well. At 65 and just retired, I'm going to indulge myself. If it turns out to be a POS, then anyone who'd like to can step-up and say that they told me so. But believe me, it won't be the first time.
Old June 20, 2011, 05:50 PM   #43
sils79

Regardless of the number of posts Don Glock has submitted to this thread, it is satisfying to hear that the owner of the company is personally overseeing customer satisfaction and will undoubted cast a more discerning eye on quality control in the future. Thumbs up to Coonan.
Old June 20, 2011, 05:53 PM   #44
Don Glock

Quote:
Don Glock, I see massive irony in a Glock fanboy attacking cosmetic issues of any other gunmaker.
did you look at the op's pics and read the functioning issues? you call all that "cosmetic issues"?

(btw 1911's and CZ's are my favorite guns. you know what assumption is the mother of..... )
Old June 20, 2011, 05:59 PM   #45
Eghad

Well I dont know what all the fuss is about. The owner called the guy personally and offered to make it right. if the buyer is satisfied with that why keep knocking the product when you don't have a dog in the hunt?

NRA Life Member
Old June 20, 2011, 06:00 PM   #46
MLeake

Don Glock, that assumption was based on threads where your one-word answer to what gun a person should buy was, "Glock."

No explanation or justification, just "Glock."

You know what they say about stereotypes...
Old June 20, 2011, 06:01 PM   #47
Don Glock

Quote:
Well I dont know what all the fuss is about. The owner called the guy personally and offered to make it right. if the buyer is satisfied with that why keep knocking the product when you don't have a dog in the hunt?
lol i don't either.

i simply informed folks that that is indeed that standard build quality of these new coonans, and all the fanboys that don't own one, let alone ever seen one in person, are all riled up LMAO
Old June 20, 2011, 07:09 PM   #48
WC145

Quote:
I talked to Dave a few moments ago, and we got things set straight, seems as if we may have had some miscommunication, but we're square now. Im sending my pistol back tomorrow to have them go over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure its up to snuff and address my concerns, and i'll get a call back to discuss my findings. I'm happy, he's happy, we're good to go!
Glad to hear they're going to make good on the gun and get it straightened out for you. I'll be looking forward to seeing how things work out, I've been thinking about getting a new one to go with my Model B.

Quote:
sorry if you have problems accepting the truth, but i'm offering info on what i've seen to help others decide if they want to spend their hard earned money on a product.
Quote:
i simply informed folks that that is indeed that standard build quality of these new coonans, and all the fanboys that don't own one, let alone ever seen one in person, are all riled up LMAO
Out of curiosity, do you have any first hand experience with the new Coonans or is your effort to inform just your opinion of other peoples guns? Seems to me that unless you're speaking from experience your opinion is just that. And you know what they say about opinions....
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old June 20, 2011, 07:30 PM   #49
Deja vu

I trust my Coonan. I have not had i fail on any thing out side of those CCI shot rounds.

In fact I trust it enough to make it a carry weapon. My main carry is a S&W J-frame because of the size but when I am going to a bad area of town (for my job) I carry the Coonan in a IWB holster with 2 mags and use my j-frame as a back up gun.

I would not use it for a carry weapon if mine was prone to failing. I have shot over 1000 rounds through it and not had a failure out side of some miss sized brass that where reloads and the CCI snake shot rounds.

I even fed it a box of buffalo bore 180 grain ammo and if took them and kept on smiling.

I don't know why this thread because such a flame war. Some people don't like Coonans. I think that is ok. Some people don't like Glocks.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old June 20, 2011, 07:45 PM   #50
LockedBreech

Thanks for clarifying the benefits for me, MLeake