The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 17, 2010, 04:41 AM   #1
rmocarsky

In Maryland . . .

. . . I understand that a citizen can keep a loaded handgun in his home if it is legally registered to him.

Can that same citizen legally keep a loaded handgun in a travel trailer (that is permanently situated on property not owned by the citizen but owned by an organization the citizen belongs to) and stays in from time to time, of course only while that citizen is staying in the travel trailer?

Rmocarsky
Old December 28, 2010, 04:13 PM   #2
MifflinKid

There is no gun registration in Maryland

OK. There is no gun registration in Maryland. There is supposedly a way to voluntarily register guns but every LEO I have asked has pleaded ignorance about this. Nor have I been able to find out about this apparently mythical registration system. Maryland is pretty stinky when it comes to gun laws but it's not Washington DC.

On to your question. If the "organization" doesn't have a rule against loaded firearms, I don't see how there would be a problem keeping the loaded gun with you over night.

Are you talking about a trailer on property used for hunting?
Old January 4, 2011, 12:02 AM   #3
rmocarsky

No it is not used for hunting; fishing, yes, on the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay; but organization rules forbid any form of hunting; waterfowl, small and large game.

When I purchased all of my handguns in MD I had to undergo a wait time while the State Police verified my ok to own one.

I assume that with all the paperwork, the serial number directly linked to my ownership, would be a form of legal registration.

Rmocarsky

Last edited by rmocarsky; January 4, 2011 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Additional answer and typo
Old January 4, 2011, 09:46 AM   #4
Spot77

Shhhhh! It's not called registration....it's called "Recordation of Sale."

No functional difference really. But if you move to MD and already own handguns before you move here there's no paperwork to be done.

As long as the property owner doesn't forbid you to have your handgun there you're good to go. Just stay on private property with it; if you go onto public property without it being unloaded and stored properly you'll be running afoul of the law.