The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 26, 2013, 06:12 PM   #26
treg

I'm kind of anal about accuracy with my pistols and develop handloads for each gun and each purpose.

The Ruger SA's made on the newer machinery have brought the out of the box accuracy level up substantially.

Last weekend my Ruger Flattop .44 Spl shot a 6 round group from a rest at 60' that fits inside the trigger guard with lead bullets. It is 100% stock.

Today the SR40c shot a 5 round group from a rest at 60' that is under 2 1/2", lead bullets also. Not quite done with that one, may be able to improve it some as I've had HP bullets go under 2".

AL45, have you ever bench tested your pistol / ammo combo?
Old January 26, 2013, 06:57 PM   #27
AL45

I sighted it in over a sandbag, but it was way off when I shot offhand, so I re-sighted it in according to my offhand shooting. Today my best groups at 25 yards were round 8". That's with a 10 to 15 moh wind using 255 grains swc's and Blue Dot. I have done better with Unique and Trail Boss. Oddly my worst group was off of a rest. Been shooting handguns for about 1 !/2 years, but only get out every few weeks. I seem to have more horizontal movement than vertical movement in regards to the sights.
Old January 26, 2013, 09:29 PM   #28
kraigwy

This "un-impressive" 15 yard target isn't bad when you consider I shot it with a Russian Nagant Revolver. 7.62X38R.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 27, 2013, 03:54 AM   #29
rep1954

While I posted this target once before and got called out as a liar I will share it again. This target was shot standing off hand with a two hand hold at 25 yards while my normal is to keep my rounds all on the pasty this was a welcomed surprise.

Old January 27, 2013, 04:31 AM   #30
chadio

In my Navy days, firing the 1911, I qualified for the Pistol ribbon, sharp shooter level. Wish I knew the the requirements, target, & number of points required for marksman / sharpshooter / expert. Never had the opportunity to try for the rifle ribbon, but was qualified on M14. Loved that rifle

Now that 20 years have gone by ....

Shooting offhand / two hand grip, at 25 yards:

On a good day, I can shoot about a 5" group with my Browning Buckmark .22

If I can shoot a pattern that is smaller than my open hand (about 8"), with my P226, ~I'm happy.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:18 AM   #31
AK103K

60 rounds in 3 seconds at 10 yards, two pulls on the trigger with a SWD M11/9mm.

Old January 27, 2013, 12:03 PM   #32
mj246

Although I don't have any pictures or measured groups available right at the moment, my simple answer is good enough to get the job done, but not nearly as good as I'd like
Old January 27, 2013, 02:23 PM   #33
AK103K

Quote:
my simple answer is good enough to get the job done, but not nearly as good as I'd like
And thats probably the real true answer for all of us, no matter what size groups we can shoot on demand.

The last two words above, are also the only true measure of what you really can do. That one time, one holer, was just a fluke.
Old January 27, 2013, 02:35 PM   #34
Stevie-Ray

I strive to maintain this at 7 yards from the draw with my EDC. If it's been too long the group opens up. Sometimes it is even better than this, especially now that I use a fatter grip. But what I carry is always the first magazine-full down the range during a visit.

I am even better with my Colt Mark IV and my own reloads, it's just not that important anymore. Even better, of course, with my .30-30 Contender, but that's not fair as it isn't offhand.
Old January 27, 2013, 03:47 PM   #35
Tactical Jackalope

When I first got my P226 years ago. I swear I'm much better now. I promise.
Old January 27, 2013, 04:07 PM   #36
Hammerhead

Quote:
In my Navy days, firing the 1911, I qualified for the Pistol ribbon, sharp shooter level. Wish I knew the the requirements, target, & number of points required for marksman / sharpshooter / expert. Never had the opportunity to try for the rifle ribbon, but was qualified on M14. Loved that rifle
In my Navy days I was so bad with the 1911 that I had to take extra training and only 'qualified' when the GM's moved us up a little closer to the target to get an acceptable score. Had to get qualified to stand POOW (Petty Officer of the watch for you ground pounders).

Ahhh, the M-14, what a rifle! I had no trouble qualifying expert at 200 meters each time. Loved that rifle too, but for some reason I couldn't hit the ocean from the pier with the 1911.

After I got out of the Navy, my failures with the 1911 bothered me so much that I became obsessed with pistol shooting. Now I can hit the ocean from the pier!
Old January 27, 2013, 04:37 PM   #37
9mm

Quote:
I couldn't hit the ocean from the pier with the 1911.
Maybe you couldn't tell between the sky blue and ocean blue ?

When I shot my first handgun I couldn't hit the target.
Old January 27, 2013, 04:40 PM   #38
chadio

constantine - was that from 25 yds?

hammerhead - cheers, loved small arms in the Navy!!
Old January 28, 2013, 01:58 PM   #39
royal barnes

With my 6" Python, single action, two hand hold, I can keep everything inside the 10 ring on a B27 at 10 yards. With my Colt New Agent I can keep them all inside the 8 ring at the same distance. It depends on what I'm shooting.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:05 PM   #40
btmj

My most accurate handgun is my Super Red Hawk 9" bbl 44 mag. At 50 yards I can shoot 6 rounds (free-hand) into a 3" group, using 300 grain hardcast loads. I use a weaver 2x scope. The scope did not make me more accurate on paper targets, but I am better able to see in poor light.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:23 PM   #41
L_Killkenny

I've never shot for groups without a rest but I used to practice regularly on 2" spinners and a 22/45 at 50'. 8 outta 10 was about the norm. But I will say that the last couple years have caught up both in the eyes and steadiness, don't have a clue what I'd do today.

From a rest it's a different matter. I usually shoot on my butt, gun between my knees ala. Keith and depending on the gun 4MOA is pretty normal using open sights.
Old February 5, 2013, 12:05 PM   #42
tipoc

I'm a mediocre shot.

Here from a BHP 25 rounds of Federal 115 gr. ball at 25 yards. Weaver stance.

tipoc
Old February 5, 2013, 12:17 PM   #43
tipoc

Here at 8 yards rapid fire (sorta) Ruger LC9 top 2 targets and a Colt Defender lower.

Here LC9 to the right and M10 2 targets to the left. Shot slow da at 8 yards.

tipoc
Old February 5, 2013, 12:35 PM   #44
NoSecondBest

I don't have a picture but I once shot nine out of ten shots into 1.5" at 100 yds with open sights using a Browning Buckmark. This was at a Region 1 shoot and the targets were rifle silhouette chicken targets for shoot-off. I missed the first chicken and couldn't adjust my sight fine enough so I "tweeked" my Merit Aperature and proceeded to run nine in a row. I was shooting in the Creedmoor position. This was in front of a lot of witnesses and was written up in the Silhouette mag back then. Standing I could keep everything inside three inches at 50 yds with a Buckmark shooting steel plates in timed fire at team challenge matches. I used to own two revolvers custom made by Davis that would shoot ten full power 357 loads into one inch at 50 yds off bags. Age has taken its toll on my eyesight. Can't do so well anymore but I'm still not too shabby.
Old February 5, 2013, 01:15 PM   #45
qwiksdraw

Although I aim for the bull's eye, at the end of the day if I kept most of my shots in th 8. 9. or 10 circle, then I had a good day and, most of all, had fun doing it. (I've only been shooting handguns for about a year now.)

American Classic Gov't Model 45ACP @ 7yds
[IMG][/IMG]

Sig Sauer 1911 22LR @ 7yds
[IMG][/IMG]
Old February 5, 2013, 01:38 PM   #46
BuckRub

also agree with mj246, some of these are BS, some may be truth and some happened every 10th year are so. Just do the best you can do and strive to do better. Dry firing helps a great deal and is free. (Everynight)/ do this say 100 times and I mean really try your best. Put a casing in top of pistiol or a coin and try to snap gun without making casing fall. Its great fun but all will put help with trigger pull and memory.
Old February 5, 2013, 02:11 PM   #47
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Guns are old but I'm a lot older. Can't shoot like this every day but I have my moments. First target 15 yard draw and shoot. Second target 100 yards slow deliberate fire. Not as good as 30 years ago but good enough for deer hunting in my back field.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 5, 2013, 02:12 PM   #48
recon14

I was out this weekend trying new loads in my new .40 S&W. Some loads it liked some were garbage. I also spent a buch of time adjusting my sights. At the end I finally found a good combo and put some in the X from 10yards.

Any time at the range is good time, especially in winter in PA. I am not as good as some, but I can get the job done if need be.

Old February 5, 2013, 02:41 PM   #49
mj246

EDIT: Deleted post, wrong thread. Sorry

Last edited by mj246; February 7, 2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old February 5, 2013, 02:52 PM   #50
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
In my experience while you can certainly learn to be both comfortable and proficient with just about any gun by practicing often enough, it generally takes less time and effort with one that feels good from the start.
If you aren't going to show us any groups why are you commenting but saying nothing. Curious minds what to know if you have a gun and if you do have one do you shoot it?

Why restrict yourself to just one gun if you like lots of them?

Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--