The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 2, 2006, 08:50 PM   #1
Anthony2

Good Left-Handed Shotgun???

I have a friend who is about 5'4" and 130lbs.
The problem is she's looking for a 12 ga. shotgun and has set her heart on a left handed set-up.
(God only knows why, she shoots a right good enough.)
I haven't seen a left handed 12 in years...any help?
Kind Regards,

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old April 2, 2006, 09:09 PM   #2
HuntAndFish

There is some good advice on this if you do an Advanced Search for "shotgun lefty" (click search in the bar above and then advanced search...select to see posts only). Enjoy.
Old April 2, 2006, 09:14 PM   #3
Anthony2

Thanks...I tried left handed shotgun to no avail...

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old April 2, 2006, 11:47 PM   #4
hoghunting

Try Ithaca or Browning

Since Ithaca is back in business, I would suggest an Ithaca model 37 or a Browning BPS ( Browning pump shotgun).

Both of these shotguns load and eject from the bottom of the receiver so they work great for left or right handers.

I have the Ithaca 37 in both 12 and 20ga and recommend it highly.
Old April 3, 2006, 01:31 AM   #5
shooter429

Here's one option

http://www.fabarm.com/hunting15.htm

You also might consider a side by side

Shooter429
Old April 3, 2006, 05:01 AM   #6
prime8

+1 on the Ithaca

Im pretty sure the Ithaca mod 37 has a bottom ejection port, so she could go back to righty if she so desires.jmo
Old April 3, 2006, 08:41 AM   #7
oletymer

There are many guns suitable for left handers. You can get a break action, the Ithaca and BPS mentioned above plus Remington makes left handed 870s and 1187 autos plus the new CT105 auto that is bottom eject. That should give you enough choice to look at.
Old April 3, 2006, 11:51 AM   #8
jhgreasemonkey

I also have an Ithaca 37 with bottom eject. Makes it ambidextrious. They are good quality and inexpensive also. I recommend considering the Ithaca 37.
Old April 3, 2006, 03:20 PM   #9
charlie in md

ct105

oletymer - I've seen pictures of the CTi105, and read the claim that it's ambidextrous. One question though, where is the safety? If it is on the trigger guard like the 870/1100/1187, I would bet it's set up for a right hander.
Old April 3, 2006, 05:31 PM   #10
grey_pilgrim

I used a browning BPS for much of my younger life.

Now, i use an 11-87lh. It was a bit spendy, but it works great, and not haveing to "fiddle" when i want to load rounds is nice. It's a bit heavy, though. (But i'm 5'10" and 130 lbs, so YMMV)

For a pump, you can't go wrong with the 870 lh (keep in mind, though, that because it's left hand, most 870 barrels won't work on it. You need to get left handed ones, although I could be wrong. )
Old April 3, 2006, 05:53 PM   #11
charlie in md

It's funny, I'm left handed, but I have found an advantage to shooting a RH 870 when shooting skeet. On singles, it is much easier to open the chamber and catch the shells with my right hand, rather than eject them onto the ground. Saves all that bending over to pick up shells!

Old April 3, 2006, 06:26 PM   #12
Hotbarrel

+1 on the Fabarm. I have the synthetic-stocked H368 LH and it's great. I've had it about a year now, and it's my pass-shooter (doves and waterfowl). Fabarm currently is in need of a distributor, but there are plenty sold under the Heckler & Koch label, and H&K continues to warranty them. I got mine for $550 new.
I owned a Model 37, and while I loved that gun, the Ithaca kicked the crap out of me at the trap range. That's the tradeoff between light weight and recoil. Great for carrying all day in the field, though.
Old April 4, 2006, 07:45 PM   #13
Freakdaddy

I would opt for the BPS as well. I have a BPS and a RH 870 Wingmaster and although the Wingmaster is prettier, the BPS is better made. Considering her stature, I'd consider the BPS Upland Special with the shorter barrel and straight grip stock. I had a similar model in a 870 once and it was a sweet handling gun. The nice thing about a BPS too is a vast selection of styles.

There are a few models out there but not sure what she wants or has to spend can dictate the model as "specific" left hands always run more. The Remington 105CTi is definately one to watch and maybe wait for as well. As stated earlier, with this one and the BPS, she could shoot amidexterous.

Here's a few links:

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...70_express.asp

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...87_Premier.asp

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...del_105CTi.asp

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/lefthand.tpl

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...asp?value=011B

Hope this helps.

Alan
Old April 5, 2006, 08:52 AM   #14
oletymer

Yeah Charlie it is set up for a right hander but I have never had a problem with that. Some people may but a little practice and it is no problem.
Old April 5, 2006, 11:29 PM   #15
308SORRELS

Try the Traditions shotguns I purchased a left handed 12 for my son in a ladies model so it was shorter and they informed me for $35 I could purchase the bigger stock for him after he growsl
Old April 6, 2006, 07:43 AM   #16
mustangdan1963

I shoot a left handed 11-87, picked it up about 6 years ago. To be honest, I had shot right handed guns my entire life, and the lefty took some getting used to. The 11-87 works flawlessly, as would be expected of any 1100 or 11-87 series, and now that I'm used to it, I wouldn't trade it! It takes a lot of dove and clays, and I never have to worry about it!
Old April 6, 2006, 10:32 PM   #17
webbee

The problem for the left handed shooter with an Ithaca M-37 is the trigger safety, which is like a Remington 870. I can't remember correctly if you can't turn it around, but it can be done with a left safety button or it can be flipped but it's a gunsmith only job. It's not insurmountable, but just not plug-n-play. Otherwise it's a great shotgun and has a very loyal shooter/fan base. It was the L.A.P.D.'s favorite for most of the last century.
Old April 9, 2006, 12:07 PM   #18
sparkysteve

I shoot lefty and have always used a righty 870. I got sick of catching empties in my right shirt sleeve and got a Browing BPS. They are bottom load/eject. Remington also makes 870's and 1187's in a left-handed model.

Dont tread on me.