The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 16, 2008, 06:19 AM   #1
Super-Dave

What do you think about charles daily shotguns?

My local walmart has a lot of charles daily shotguns at very good prices.

What do you think of them? Would you buy one?

Are the charles daly pump shotguns mechanical clones of remington 870's?

George Orwell

Last edited by Super-Dave; April 16, 2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old April 16, 2008, 08:48 AM   #2
RetiredLawman

The 20 gauges have a better reputation than the 12's. Several members of my hunting club use 20's after giving up on the 12's. Why did they stick with CD's? Because they are inexpensive and when you get a good one, you've got one that will be reliable. I have never heard of a problem with the 20 gauges. I don't recommend the 12 gauges but you might get lucky.

As with the Stoeger 2000, if you get a good one, you've got a gun that will make you happy. You won't have much money invested.

The Mossberg 930 is another inexpensive shotgun that is virtually trouble free out of the box. Very few complaints about the 930.

My personal "go to" gun is a Stoeger 2000. I have 2 of them, an old design and a new design. The new design is a gem for me. The old design looks like it was made at night with a dull file but it works every time and has never given me any trouble.

Now, you have a rundown of the relatively inexpensive shotguns. Roll the dice. Take your pick.
Old April 16, 2008, 10:11 AM   #3
Doyle

Remember that Charles Daly is not, nor has ever been, a manufacturer. They are a sales brand name. They contract with various factories to produce guns for them. My personal preference is to deal with companies that actually manufacture their own firearms - but that's just me.
Old April 16, 2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Super-Dave

Are the charles daly pump shotgun mechanical clones of the remington 870?

George Orwell
Old April 16, 2008, 05:30 PM   #5
RetiredLawman

Doyle, we must think about Browning, a very fine gun. Browning never made a gun for sale. FN and Miroku are among the better makers of the Browning.

Charles Daly, at one time, the hallmark of excellence, has deteriorated over the years in reputation by having el cheapo guns made by contractor companies.

Weatherby is another company that contracts their guns.

Fortunately, Browning has not fallen into this trap. They are still excellent and uphold their quality standards, unlike CD.

If anyone can answer the posters questions, please help him out. I can only tell him what I know. Someone else chime in here and help him out. Is the CD pump a 870 clone? I don't know. Never compared them.

Happy shooting!
Old April 16, 2008, 08:53 PM   #6
Doyle

Good point about Browning. I guess I need to modify my stance to include quality name brands that have high standards when contracting out manufacturing.
Old April 17, 2008, 05:51 PM   #7
BigJimP

Is it a clone of the 870 - I don't think so - but I haven't taken them apart to look at every part in the action, etc either. In general, almost all of the lower end guns ( under $ 500 on pumps ) are serviceable - but not great long term guns. Many of them are a hit or miss option - but if they fit the shooter - they may work just fine. The problem is people spend way too much time talking about which gun to buy, what it costs - and no time about fit. If you buy a $3,000 Browning - and it doesn't fit you - it will beat the daylights out of you / and it will not shoot where you look ( and it may be a beautiful gun, nicely built, etc ) but it would be a waste of money.

The pump guns you want to measure all of these entry level pump guns against are the "Remington 870 Wingmaster" or the "Browning BPS". Personally I prefer the Browning BPS - it fits me better, it is cast neutral usually, and it ejects out of the bottom - so I have one in 12 and one in 20ga. They are both about 35 years old now - killed lots of birds and trap and skeet targets ...... but without stock modification, they don't fit me very well / and they never did - but I bought and used them anyway. Fit is the question you have to ask - then look at dimensions on each model - then look at quality of internal parts, wood, synthetic, finish, etc and figure out where to spend your money.