The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 21, 2012, 03:05 AM   #1
Fireman179

Help with value????

I have a smith & wesson model 25-2 4in it is a Tennessee Highway patrol commemorative gun that was only available to troopers. It has never had a shell in it and is in mint condition along with the presentation case it came in. What does a gun like this sell for?

I also have a smith & wesson model 29-2 8in that is also mint and never been fired. It has the wood case and all the original accessories just like it shipped.
Old December 21, 2012, 05:54 AM   #2
JT-AR-MG42

You did not mention caliber on the 25. Is it in .45 Colt and numbered THP-1 to 350 on the butt with the lanyard and smooth magnas?

Value on it would be easily north of 1300 NIB. The commemoratives do have their own collector following.

Would need the serial range on the on the 29-2. Generally, the S prefix 4 screw guns with diamond targets go for more than the three screw N prefix guns with the presentation target grips.

Without photos, 'almost mint, unfired' is confusing to me. I would not want to place a value on a gun that has unknown issues without seeing it.

JT
Old December 21, 2012, 09:49 AM   #3
Fireman179

They are mint not almost mint. Neither one has a scratch and yes the 25 is in 45 colt
Old December 21, 2012, 03:13 PM   #4
JT-AR-MG42

My mis-read. Oops!

JT
Old December 22, 2012, 10:28 AM   #5
PetahW

FWIW, ALL Model 25's were chambered in .45 Colt; and there were NO 8" barreled Model 29's - that would properly be an 8-3/8" barrel (both very desireable).

A non-commemorative NIB Model 25 is well worth $650+ today, but yours is likely at least worth twice that.

Likewise, a NIB 8-3/8" Model 29-2 is worth at least $750 - and most likely more, with the proper S&W walnut case & tools (S&W screwdriver & cleaning rod).

Old December 22, 2012, 01:04 PM   #6
highpower3006

The 25-2 is a desirable gun, the fact that it is a commemorative adds no real value to it and if it is too gaudy, will actually hurt it a bit. Out here on the left coast, I would see a gun like that selling (as opposed to asking) for around $8-900.

I just bought a S&W 6 1/2" M29-2 and a 8 3/8" M57 both from 1978 and both NIB with cases etc. for $800 each.

For those who might have missed it, the prices of high condition N frame Smiths have risen quite a bit lately. Used examples that are in the 95% range can still be had reasonably, for instance, I just bought a 629-4 Classic DX for $600 with all the original accessories that came with it.

The price seems to go up exponentially, however, if they are new and unfired.
Old December 22, 2012, 04:05 PM   #7
poprivit

M29 S&W

If you ever want to part with that M29 S&W, I'm a buyer. I sold mine five years ago and BOY, was that a mistake. I don't necessarily want to shoot it, but I'd sure like another.

Tom Murphy
Las Vegas
Old December 23, 2012, 08:02 PM   #8
dgludwig

Quote:
FWIW, ALL Model 25's were chambered in .45 Colt
My Smith Model 25-2 is chambered in .45 ACP; as were many others.
Old December 23, 2012, 10:28 PM   #9
Sevens

Take note, especially with commemorative revolvers, that even these unfired guns CAN have wear on them. Yes, even those with a pretty presentation case.

Usually, it's a cylinder drag line from cocking and dry firing, or even simply cocking and carefully lowering the hammer.

Commemorative guns are fine objects if that is the sort of thing someone is in to, but much of the gun buying world sees a firearm and little else. That doesn't mean they are BAD, it simply means that they don't always carry a big premium as so many who might own one might WISH they would. And almost all commemorative guns pretty much become EXACTLY that when they do get fired and shot and used.

I'd be fine owning one, but only if I got a good deal on one, and by good deal... I mean for a slightly lower price than a non-commemorative in similar condition.

Another place to check for wear that will absolutely lower the price/value on a commemorative is on the presentation case it comes in or any gadgets related to the whole package, such as a knife. Wear happens easily on the outside and corners of the box and the cushy velvet interior also breaks down. The "value" of these packages is for the whole enchilada.
Old December 24, 2012, 02:56 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Commemoratives do have collector interest, but it is quite limited. For the most part, a Tennessee police gun has little interest outside that state. S&W made a lot of such guns. They were usually ordered for members of a specific agency and laser engraved accordingly. They would be sold to department members to raise funds for a charitable organization, like a police benevolent association.

It may be an exception, but I checked the Blue Book for one such, the Georgia State Patrol commemorative. It is a Model 26-1, with 800 made, and the price given is $1350. But a standard Model 26, new in the box, is listed at $4500. So much for commemoratives as investments!

Jim