The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2009, 11:27 PM   #1
jdscholer

Lee Tumble-lube Mold

Well, I just received my new Lee double cav, 158 gr., 358 dia. bullet mold!

It's my first time with one of these aluminum types, and I have high hopes of success with un-sized plinkers.

I've already converted some wheel-weights into a couple hundred bullets, and the Alox Lube is drying on them right now.

Next--- I've got several cans of powders such as Blue, Green, and Red Dot; Unique, 2400, AL-7, and who knows what. Some are old, and some are waayy old. I've been trying light loads with the stuff from time to time, and it seems to work OK; at least OK enough for low cost practice.

I'll be using data that shows velocities of 8 or 9 hundred fps, and except for the price of primers, my shells will be cost free.

Now if Lee would just invent the Lee Primer Maker, I'd really be set. jd
Old January 31, 2009, 12:06 AM   #2
rwilson452

I have made a lot of Lee tumble lube .452 200gr SWC bullets. I cut the alox 50-50 with mineral spirits or lighter fluid. Works well and dries faster. If you don't like the feel of the bullets after lubing them you can dust them with powdered mica. I never bothered to do that.
Old January 31, 2009, 01:04 AM   #3
jdscholer

Yeah, I've heard about the mica thing, and was wondering about it. Is it possible to load hotter without leading, or is it more of an accuracy thing? I double coated with Alox, just cause it is easy to do. I guess its hard for me to believe that this will work without all the lubrisizer BS. jd
Old January 31, 2009, 07:35 AM   #4
rwilson452

The mica thing is just a touch thing. Although some do it so they don't need to wait for the alox to set up.

Quote:
Yeah, I've heard about the mica thing, and was wondering about it. Is it possible to load hotter without leading, or is it more of an accuracy thing? I double coated with Alox, just cause it is easy to do. I guess its hard for me to believe that this will work without all the lubrisizer BS. jd