The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 11, 2008, 07:07 PM   #1
globemaster3

Recommendation for Scope Rings

Gents, I need some education on scope rings and bases. On my current arsenal, I've always gone to the gun shop, told the fellow behind the counter what I need, I hand him the weapon, he mounts it, it shoots fine, and all is well.

BUT...

Where I live now, I've got little other than Wally World for parts and I know these things are easy enough to install, but my braintrust is gone. So, give me the rundown. The good, the bad, and the looks like mine. I've got remmy and wthby bolts, and some rails on other weapons to contend with. I'm getting ready to get some new scopes in and want to do the installs on my own.

Thanks for all you help.
Old May 12, 2008, 09:07 AM   #2
rgitzlaff

Get burris signature rings. They come in standard and weaver style to mount on either type of base. They have plastic inserts that pivot so you don't have to lap the rings. YOu can also get offset inserts to use for extra elevation or windage adjsutment. Get them at most online retailers like The optic zone, SWFA, midway, cheaper than dirt, etc.
Old May 12, 2008, 09:55 AM   #3
Harry Bonar

mounts

Sir,
I really like the Redfield Jr. one piece base set up. You can makw a windage adjustment by using the rear screws, but you must turn the scope with a proper wrench, not by the screws.
Harry B.
Old May 12, 2008, 07:43 PM   #4
10-96

For your bolts, +1 what Harry said. Only, I like the Burris Signature rings with the inserts.

For flattops, AR's, and the like- take a peek at- http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ac1melosysem.html

These things are inexpensive- but I have yet to wear one out, bust one, or have anyone even begin to complain about them having any affliction of the uglies. They work great. Three screws at just past thumb tight, and you can swap out the sights and scopes and be guaranteed to go back to zero (just keep constant torque on all your rigs). Oh, and keep your scopes separated by rifle.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 13, 2008, 09:24 PM   #5
ForneyRider

I have the Burris Z-Ring quick detachable on my 7mm Mag.

I like em a lot. They hold a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42.
I put in on myself. I think the bases are Weaver brand.