The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 15, 2014, 06:13 PM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

Guess who's the new owner of a Kimber Custom II?

That's right. Me. I am the the new owner of a Kimber Custom II. It's a 1911. Me. 1911. Me. 1911.

I'm the guy who sold almost all his 1911's and kept one as a range gun. Well I just got another one. I'm going to give it a shot at being a self defense gun again, first it needs to go through my 500-1,000 round test before it graduates to that duty. Then maybe it'll be my work gun. I don't know... If you know me around these parts you'll know my preference. I'm going to focus on making this anything but a versus thread so I'm leaving that out.

Now it's a Kimber. A lot of people don't like Kimber it seems like. But I love the way it looks and know people personally who have then without an ill word to say the least.

The gun is one of the most sleek in their class. There's no "MODEL 1911-A1" on one side and "Caution: this is a gun. It's dangerous. Be careful. This IS a gun." On the other side.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389827346.888027.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389827371.154713.jpg

Just "Kimber" on one side. And "Custom II" on the other with Yonkers, NY and a serial number. How excellent is that? Right?

So since I shocked myself in getting this. Let's hope I don't revert back to having a large "dislike" towards 1911's again. Took me a year to get over.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389827517.221920.jpg

On the way home.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389827547.776590.jpg

Cleaned and sporting VZ grips.

can't wait to shoot it.
Old January 15, 2014, 06:17 PM   #2
TXAZ

Nice. Congrats!

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 15, 2014, 06:30 PM   #3
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Guess who's the new owner of a Kimber Custom II?
So long as it's not me then I'm happy
Old January 15, 2014, 06:32 PM   #4
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ View Post
Nice. Congrats!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post

I miss when we were friends.

Explain! Or PM.
Old January 15, 2014, 06:39 PM   #5
Wreck-n-Crew

Sorry for the guess,

I was right! Not that it makes me a genious...

Congrats! hope you enjoy.
Old January 15, 2014, 06:47 PM   #6
Oysterboy

I give up! Who ??
Old January 15, 2014, 07:27 PM   #7
AFK

Congrats on a fine gun, there will be more proponents then opponents of the brand. You will just have to deal with the opponents that take every chance they get to bash it.
Old January 15, 2014, 07:40 PM   #8
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Congrats on a fine gun, there will be more proponents then opponents of the brand. You will just have to deal with the opponents that take every chance they get to bash it.
A true possibility, at least they are made of strong carbon steel. Also are one of the favored for 460 Rowland conversions for that very reason.
Old January 15, 2014, 08:05 PM   #9
jaytothekizzay

Im jealous
Old January 15, 2014, 08:13 PM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

There seem to be two kinds of Kimbers: those that folks swear by, and those that folks swear at.

May yours be the former.

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to the range report.
Old January 15, 2014, 08:34 PM   #11
Tactical Jackalope

Thank you gents

I ordered Wilson Combat magazines. 3 to start. I also ordered a SS mainspring housing.

My dilemma now is night sights.

I cannot for the life of me find night sights for my Kimber.
Old January 15, 2014, 09:35 PM   #12
Mystro

Outstanding taste in 1911's. Great score.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old January 15, 2014, 09:42 PM   #13
Venom1956

I guess i qualify as a 'dislike' simply because I feel you can get a better made gun for the dollar that said...

Its a fine lookin kimber especially if you picked it up for a song.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 16, 2014, 01:21 AM   #14
gspman

Nice purchase.mine has been flawless and very accurate.I bought a kimber because i have a few friends that had them and they are super happy with theirs.I would buy another one but my custom 2 will last my life time.Again good purchase and enjoy.GSPMAN
Old January 16, 2014, 01:37 AM   #15
Crazy88Fingers

Congrats! That same Kimber was in the running when I was 1911 shopping. But, as you know, I went with Colt. Mainly because Colt doesn't make you shoot 500 rounds before they will accept it for service. Which is great because I didn't hit the 500 round mark before I had to send it in... several times.

Not sure what I'm trying to say. But that sure is a purty gun.
Old January 16, 2014, 01:51 AM   #16
LockedBreech

I can honestly say I will be rolling the dice on a Kimber at some point. They might have some QC issues as a brand but gosh they do make a stunning-looking pistol.
Old January 16, 2014, 05:41 AM   #17
crashxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
Thank you gents

I ordered Wilson Combat magazines. 3 to start. I also ordered a SS mainspring housing.

My dilemma now is night sights.

I cannot for the life of me find night sights for my Kimber.

Kimber sells meprolight night sights for them. I believe xs sights make some for kimbers too but I could be wrong.
Old January 16, 2014, 08:00 AM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

Thank you thank you. much appreciated. I need to get this thing night sights. They're always a must for me on a defensive or in this case potentially defensive handgun.

Going to the range to shoot it after work today. Expect a range report.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389877180.523332.jpg (237.4 KB, 12 views)
Old January 16, 2014, 08:45 AM   #19
Mystro

Go with the Meprolights....

http://store.kimberamerica.com/Produ...7/Default.aspx

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old January 16, 2014, 10:30 AM   #20
Tactical Jackalope

Thank Mystro!

Quick question...I don't have the tool at the shop to install them. Any 1911 tool would work right?
Old January 16, 2014, 11:25 AM   #21
Mystro

Yes,....I just use a brass punch and hammer. You may have to do a bit of minor fitting but its easy to do.

Old January 16, 2014, 11:31 AM   #22
Tactical Jackalope

I have plenty of brass punches and hammers. Do you stick the slide in a vise with leather, on it's side and do this? Maybe I'll just do it myself that way. Any pics?
Old January 16, 2014, 12:26 PM   #23
Mystro

There is many ways to do it. I use a leather belt wrapped around just the slide in the vise. Nice little tappy tappy only on the dove tail and thats all it takes. It works great. Just dont slip and tap the sight (dots with the tritium vials). Looking from the back of the slide, the old sights should be removed from pushing from the left side off to the right. New sights go on from right to pushing left. There are a few Youtube videos on this but its pretty self explanatory.

Last edited by Mystro; January 16, 2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old January 16, 2014, 01:31 PM   #24
Stevie-Ray

Congratulations, and hope you got a great one like I did. Probably 80% chance of that or better.
Old January 16, 2014, 01:32 PM   #25
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Quote:
I miss when we were friends.

Explain! Or PM.
Because methinks he probably has had the same experience with Kimber as I did... Would never ever own another one.

Partially because it wouldn't run right, partially because of the the absolutely awful customer service I got. 1 year warranty? No thanks. Not for a gun that expensive.

It sucks because I actually really like the way they look.

Hope yours runs well. it's a good looking gun for sure.