The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 1, 2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Georgian

Shotgun Woes

Hey yall. I always shot an 870 Remington growing up, and love the way they shoot and handle (fit me like a glove). In the last 3 or 4 years I started trying Mossbergs, and for the most part like them. I just recently acquired a 590 Mariner, as I had always wanted one. I am sort of regretting my purchase of it a bit now. Although it weighs more than my 18.5" HD Remington 870, it seems to handle worse and recoil alot more than the 870, which is a little odd to me. Should I try and find a nice 870 for a trade on it or ? Also, what is a fair trade price for a M590 Mariner that is basically brand new?

God Bless
Old August 2, 2011, 10:52 AM   #2
Georgian

From what I can tell, the 590 stock is 1-1.5'' longer than the 870 stock lop, which would explain the fit problem I am experiencing. Another problem developed last night upon field stripping the 590. The take down nut/screw was so tight I had to use a wrench to take it off, and it will not tighten back by hand. Would the Mariner finish cause the nut to be tight, or are all 590's like this, and what is the remedy? I have never had a shotgun so hard to take apart in my life (500/870). Any help is greatly appreciated!

God Bless