The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 10, 2010, 12:22 AM   #1
the357plan

Bobcats...

If I'm hunting them, I can never find them. If I'm unarmed, they mock me.

Bobcat_1.jpg

Bobcat_2.jpg

Bobcat_3.jpg

Actually my 22 year old daughter took these pictures from my back yard the other day. She was afraid to get any closer. If I was taking the pictures, I would have pushed my luck to get some better pictures. Had to use a camera, the cat is on a golf course within city limits.
Old April 10, 2010, 01:00 AM   #2
towelie

ohhh the poor stray cat just give it a treat, boom instant self defense clause take it to the taxidermist.
Old April 10, 2010, 04:11 AM   #3
youp

I love bobcats. Thanks for the images.

Have you never heard "The things you see when you don't have a gun"? It is true statement that you have proven.
Old April 10, 2010, 04:31 AM   #4
gedenke

Murphy's Law....I think I can see that cat giving you the finger (claw)
in the second pic....
Old April 10, 2010, 06:44 AM   #5
Uncle Buck

Nice looking cat. We have one that is currently preying on the neighbors chickens. I hope the neighbor gets more chickens so it does not wander up to my chicken coops.
Old April 10, 2010, 11:23 AM   #6
the357plan

Bobcats Dearly Love Chickens

When I was in 9th grade (East Tennessee), our landlord accused the neighbor’s dogs of killing (and taking) some of his chickens. He had maybe 10 or so and they stayed in a coup next to the woods. Well one day I was walking by the chicken coup with my dogs when they ran to the edge of the woods and started barking up a storm. Suspecting the neighbor’s dogs out there, I didn’t bring a gun as I set out into woods with my dogs. One was a ¾ grown Black and Tan hound and the other was an adult Chihuahua/mutt mix about 3 times the size of a normal Chihuahua. With me along, they got their courage up and took off after whatever was out there. It was only seconds later, as they were charging down the hill, that I saw movement at the bottom of the hill. It was funny watching those dogs coming back up the hill at full throttle, yapping over their shoulders, with a bobcat chasing them. That cat was not afraid of those dogs. Halfway up the hill the cat saw me and took off. I walked down to where I first saw movement. There were the remains of a chicken. The bobcat had eaten about 90% of the chicken. Never did get that cat, but our landlord then bobcat proofed his chicken coup.

I have to head out so I’ll relate my 2nd bobcat/chicken story later.

Last edited by the357plan; April 10, 2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old April 10, 2010, 07:04 PM   #7
TXGunNut

I've seen a bobcat a bit north of you, 357. I had a gun, so did the guy with me. We both just enjoyed the show. Neither of us had lost any chickens recently though.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old April 11, 2010, 10:48 AM   #8
USCG

range

About a month and a half ago I was at the range up the road from where i live. I was sighting in my .308, and all of a sudden I see movement about 150 yds down range... I thought it was a stray cat at first, but turned out to be a bobcat (probably only 20-25lbs), I already had a round in the chamber and I was sighted in for 100yds... But I just decided to turn up the magnification on my scope and enjoy the show...

Another time I was out working at the local port when a couple of us saw what looked like a coyote across the river, but turned out to be a big old bobcat, he was more into the 40+lb range. IF I had the chance I would have had that one mounted...
FNH SPR A1, Colt H-Bar Elite A-3, Custom Lightweight AR, Troy M1A NM, Springfield 1917, Remington 1100 TAC2, Ithaca 37 Lightweight, Springfield M6 Scout, S&W 332 Airlite, Model 629, Model 657-3, Model 10, Model 686, Model 500 6.5" Lew Horton/ PC Compensated Hunter , marlin .22, Ruger 10/22, Puma M92 carbine .44 16"bbl w/ over-sized loop., Sig Trailside .22, Ruger MKI, Savage 1903, Springfield XD-S, Custom 1911, Ruger 44/96
Old April 11, 2010, 05:45 PM   #9
youp

Wish I had mounted this one.

or this one ...