The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 18, 2014, 12:00 AM   #1
Josstyn

Please take this paper patching survey

I am a student at the university of North Dakota doing a case study on paper patch bullets. If I could have just a couple minutes of your time to fill out this survey about paper patch bullets that would be greatly appreciated.
Just click on the URL below.
Thank You.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DDCH9SB
Old February 18, 2014, 08:00 AM   #2
Mike38

Okay, I'll bite. What's a paper patch bullet?
Old February 18, 2014, 08:15 AM   #3
Salmoneye

Paper patching was the first 'jacketed' round...

The first commercial 'jacketed' rounds (that I am aware of) were called 'Metal Patched'...

Many people still paper patch to get the right size for their groove diameter, and to control leading...

I am told that you can push paper patched bullets to near jacketed velocities with no gas check...
Old February 18, 2014, 08:15 AM   #4
Cornbread

Josstyn you might want to check with Cast Boolits lots of paper patching. ( http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php )
Old February 19, 2014, 02:23 PM   #5
Romeo 33 Delta

It's one of those "obscure", old-timey things ... there is a learning curve and it is a little "futzy" ... BUT ... the results can be well worth it.

One of my Martini Henry .577-450s, a Mk-III with a .465" grease-groove bullet, shot poorly (leading after about the 5th shot). I resized some bullets to .451" and paper patched them and HOLY COW!!!

I had 10 rounds loaded, the first 3 or 4 were so-so accuracy, not exactly where I was aiming ... but all were "round holes. Then ... something began to happen ... a hit, low, but centered. Then for the remaining rounds, using "Kentucky Elevation", I walked them right up into the target!

That sold me on the value of paper patching. I now look forward to Winter when I've found the humidity level to be just perfect. I do my patching on a glass-topped desk which is simply ideal for rolling and finishing up the base.

A good read about the mystique of it all is Paul A. Matthews' "THE PAPER JACKET".
Old February 20, 2014, 05:41 PM   #6
DMZX

I still use Top's cigarette papers to patch minie balls in my 1863 Remington. I grease them well and roll them around the grooves, packing the overlap into the cavity at the base of the ball.

It keeps the bullet in place and softened and reduce the carbon fouling. They also seem to be more accurate than un-patched balls.
Old February 20, 2014, 05:57 PM   #7
BumbleBug

The other advantage to paper patching is that a bullet can be cast in dead-soft lead then shot at close to jacketed bullet velocities. The soft lead bullet will mushroom on impact to create an expanded wound channel. Regular hard-cast bullets, even gas checked, often act more like solids going straight through.

FWIW
Old February 21, 2014, 08:05 AM   #8
Salmoneye

Quote:
I still use Top's cigarette papers to patch minie balls in my 1863 Remington. I grease them well and roll them around the grooves, packing the overlap into the cavity at the base of the ball.
I am going to have to try that...

I have played with 'Teflon Tape' with mixed results, but this is a great idea to try...
Old February 21, 2014, 11:58 PM   #9
DaleA

Paper patching was also used as a gimmick in the Stephen Hunter book 'Point of Impact' and I think also in his book 'The Third Bullet'.

I don't know if this would actually work or not but they took bullets fired from one gun, paper patched them and fired them from a second gun so that the ballistic data would appear that the bullets had been fired from the first gun and they could implicate the owner of the first gun for the dastardly deeds done by the second shooter.