The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 15, 2013, 09:27 PM   #1
UtahHunting

Picked up Chinese SKS from Cabelas

Went to Cabela's door buster sale yesterday and stood in line for the chance to get a Chinese SKS imported by Century Arms. There were about 15 to choose from and I got one with all matching numbers. All of the SKS's were gone within 10 minutes of the store opening. Glad I got there in time.

Let me say this thing is rough, one of the roughest SKS's I have ever seen. It looks like it has been in every war known to man. Still in cosmoline, looking to get it cleaned this weekend and go shoot it.

Anyone else try one of these latest imports yet?

Old March 15, 2013, 09:50 PM   #2
tahunua001

I got one of those chinese SKS back in december. it was really rought as well, it's a 1959 factory 26. I put a ramline stock set on it and swapped the sights for a set of tech sights TS200 apertures... it's surprisingly accurate and I would take it over an AK clone anyday of the week and twice on sundays...
Old March 15, 2013, 10:27 PM   #3
Sport45

If you don't mind my asking, what are they selling for?
Old March 16, 2013, 12:46 AM   #4
okiewita40

Nice carbine you picked up. I have to agree that the stock is rough. Makes mine look like a safe queen. And that is with some of the beauty marks I have added to it while hunting.

But congrats to you.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:08 AM   #5
Mrgunsngear

I've got two---both shoot like new.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:39 AM   #6
UtahHunting

Quote:
If you don't mind my asking, what are they selling for?
I paid $299 at Cabela's during their sale. 6 months ago I would have said that was too expensive, now I was happy to pay it. I sold all my SKS's and have regretted it ever since. They are still one of my favorite rifles to shoot and the Chinese rifles have been my favorite of all the SKS's. Going to clean it up and keep it as a shooter. 7.62X39 ammo can still be found with ease around here so that is a plus as well.
Old March 16, 2013, 09:03 AM   #7
BerdanSS

Those are selling for $239 at a local gin shop here in Indiana....but the one you bought looks like brand new compared to these.
Old March 16, 2013, 09:22 AM   #8
UtahHunting

BerdanSS, there were a few at Cabelas that had trench art on them, unmatched serial numbers, splinters, etc probably like the ones you describe. I got there early enough to get one of the better ones. This one has very little rust and some of them had a lot of rust. I wish I could have found one for $239 like you mention but there are none to be had here. Everyone is asking $450+ on the secondary market for these types of SKS's. Crazy times right now. Hope it is a good shooter once I get it out.
Old March 16, 2013, 10:51 AM   #9
tahunua001

Quote:
Those are selling for $239 at a local gin shop here in Indiana....but the one you bought looks like brand new compared to these.
I got mine for $239 as well, doesn't look in worse shape and was all parts matching before I started bubbafying it but that's all good.

I wouldn't say that they are my favorite but they are great for what they are; a fairly accurate plinker that doesn't break the bank on ammo always makes a nice project gun if you're looking for a summer hobby.

I'm still very much an AR guy but the SKS is a close second for me.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:28 PM   #10
stu925

Boy that rifle has seen better days at least the stock has. Metal doesn't look too bad on it though. I'd probably look around e-bay for a take off stock for it unless you can clean that one up a bit. She'll probably shoot pretty well as long as the bore is good. I think in this current market you did reasonably well price wise even at $299, take a look around gun broker at what they're going for.

Stu
Old March 16, 2013, 09:41 PM   #11
UtahHunting

Stu i plan to do just that ....going to pick up a different stock. The metal and bore are actually pretty good. The bluing is about gone but there really isn't much rust.
Old March 16, 2013, 10:47 PM   #12
tahunua001

if you're going to swap stocks, try to find a ramline stock, I tried a tapco on my chicom SKS and it wasn't happening at all, the ramline fits it like a glove.
Old March 17, 2013, 10:47 AM   #13
xtphreak

Re: Picked up Chinese SKS from Cabelas

Go read up on 922(r) and the parts count list when modifying an SKS (changing the stock)
It sucks, but without changing enough original parts for US made parts, you may be making it illegal.
FYI
Old March 17, 2013, 11:55 AM   #14
tahunua001

here's a link to a 922R comliance work sheet.
the easiest thing to do would be to go with a tapco magazine in addition to the stock to make it legal, more expensive and harder replacement parts are the trigger, sear and hammer and the piston but they would allow you to keep the metal magazine.
Old March 17, 2013, 12:57 PM   #15
UtahHunting

Very interesting on the 922 stuff. I like to keep these rifles stock, I am not a big fan of putting tapco stuff on them, I was just thinking a bit nicer stock for when I am out shooting, but I prefer to keep the gun as original as possible, hence the reason I won't just refinish the stock that is on it. Going to take a closer look at this 922 rules.
Old March 17, 2013, 04:03 PM   #16
Come and take it.

These came from a large stockpile here in the US from before the import ban.
They were holding them back waiting for a good opportunity to place them out there and make a few dollars on them.
Old March 17, 2013, 04:33 PM   #17
tahunua001

Quote:
These came from a large stockpile here in the US from before the import ban.
They were holding them back waiting for a good opportunity to place them out there and make a few dollars on them.
not the case anymore, any SKS older than 50 years old can be imported as a C&R which is exempt from 922R restrictions, only once you chance the configuration do you have to worry about 922R compliance. many of these SKS people are seeing are older than 1963 and therefore legal for importation again...
many of the ones I've seen are 1959s
Old March 17, 2013, 08:25 PM   #18
Come and take it.

I am just going on what I read from CAI back some months ago when they started selling them. If they are importing these through laws C&R perhaps they can flood the market with them.

Only wish america would open the restrictions on ammo from China. That would solve a lot of problems right now.
Old March 20, 2013, 07:09 PM   #19
Pacman

I miss the good old days when I picked up Chinese ammo; a case of 1440 rounds for $89.00!
Old March 20, 2013, 07:11 PM   #20
WildBill45

I bought a nice and clean Chinese SKS back in the 80's, my question is how do you know when it was made???

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old March 20, 2013, 07:36 PM   #21
tahunua001

all I know is the Chinese made at factory26 which made the majority of SKS in China. a 6 digit serial number would be 1956, the first year they were made. in 1957 a it was increases to 7 digits and the 1st digit increased incrimentally each year so a 3,000,000 serial range would put it in 1959. a 7 million serial number would be 1966 etc... I don't know how to date other countries SKS.
Old March 20, 2013, 07:45 PM   #22
Garycw

Picked up Chinese SKS from Cabelas

Got two a cpl months ago $339 ea stocks are rough, bluing thin, but functionally sound & chrome lined barrels.

Sent from iPhone
Old March 20, 2013, 09:21 PM   #23
UtahHunting

Gary, those look good. There is a certain appeal to these well used rifles. If they could speak I am sure they would tell intriguing stories. I got the cosmoline removed and all the parts cleaned/lubed. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but everything checks out and the bore looks great. Going to try and get out this weekend depending on weather.

Old March 25, 2013, 09:57 AM   #24
Drhc116

Hey Guys,

Just picked up 2 SKSs this weekend. One I am sure is chicom it has the triangle 26. But the Other just has "Six Corp" on the left side of the reciever. Any ideas on the Six Corp?

Thanks so much.
Old March 25, 2013, 11:37 AM   #25
gdvan01

Quote:
I bought a nice and clean Chinese SKS back in the 80's, my question is how do you know when it was made???
http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-24.htm

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard