The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 27, 2012, 03:38 PM   #1
DavidB2

FNP 40 vs. M&P .40

After a lot of research on what is available in 40; I have come down to either the FNP 40 vs. M&P .40. The biggest difference is price with the FNP 40 at $422 (including 3 magazines) and the M&P at $475 (includes $50 rebate for Active Duty personnel through 31 Dec). The other issue is hammer fired in FNP vs. M&P. I know that FNP used to have some issues; but I wondered if they have fixed their problems? Both guns have multiple back straps for best fit in the hand. Any preferences on the pros and cons of these two pistols? Which one has more accuracy and less felt recoil for the .40 S&W round vs. the other?
Old November 27, 2012, 04:01 PM   #2
dean1818

Both are good but I love my M&Ps

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old November 27, 2012, 05:08 PM   #3
SRH78

I have never even handled the FN so I can't offer a comparison but my ccw is an M&P in 357 Sig and I have been very pleased with it. The trigger is mediocre but the gun shoots well and feels great in the hand.
Old November 27, 2012, 06:38 PM   #4
dstryr

I have 2 FNP40s, both are very accurate.

$422 with 3 mags is a good price; FNP40 prices jumped to the $500+/- level when the NIB supply started to diminish earlier this year and the FNX and FNS were in the upper $500 to $600 range. Nice to see some good deals out there.

The FNP line has been out of production since 2010 and I have read that not all FNP9 parts are being made, so some guns returned to FN under warranty have been replaced with FNX models. That is in 9mm, though, and I haven't seen that on .40s.

Let us know what you choose. I'm holding on to my FNPs.

http://www.dstryr.com/