The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 11, 2012, 09:08 PM   #1
pelo801

am i becoming a revolver guy

i've always thought of myself as an auto loader kind of guy. but of the last seven purchases i've made, five have been revolvers. and the other two, a .22 handgun and a little .22 rifle were both pretty good deals that i couldn't pass up. i guess we all evolve in our likes and dislikes, but i'm really starting to enjoy these guns. and not having to chase the brass is pretty sweet too. and i really just wanted an excuse to post a pic. how about you guys? did you cross over at some point?
Old November 11, 2012, 10:21 PM   #2
engineer88

I am pretty much right in the middle, but as time goes by my wheels are slowly taking over. I am about 60/40 atm in favor of revolvers. There is just something about them. I know what you mean.
Old November 11, 2012, 10:46 PM   #3
jmortimer

Revolvers for me. Have not shot one semi-auto handgun that I preferred over a revolver. Really liking the Ruger single actions. To each his own.
Old November 11, 2012, 10:58 PM   #4
skidder

I've always been a revolver purist.
The main reason is reloading and bear country. An auto in 44 mag or larger is not so easy to find around here.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old November 11, 2012, 11:23 PM   #5
joneb

I have both and shoot both, perhaps the revolvers more.
Old November 12, 2012, 12:09 AM   #6
FM12

Reverting to revos myself. Carry a Glock 40 S&W at work though. Hate me some Glocks!
Old November 12, 2012, 12:30 AM   #7
mrbatchelor

When I was growing up all I ever saw were revolvers.

Then in the military I shot a butt load of .45 in a USGI 1911. (I'm old.)

Then I came home and decided I like revolvers.

My wife likes semi-autos better. Go figure.

We keep both around the house.
Old November 12, 2012, 04:15 AM   #8
texgunner

I currently own both revolvers and autos but when I started reloading my revolvers got more attention. Not having to chase after brass is nice.
Old November 12, 2012, 05:42 AM   #9
GM2

Have several Revolvers and only one semi. Guess that shows my preference.
Old November 12, 2012, 10:07 AM   #10
highpower3006

My first handgun was a revolver. I buy any older S&W or Colt revolver that is reasonably priced. My last three handgun purchases were wheelguns. I guess you could say I'm a revolver guy.

That being said I tend to buy the occasional auto from time to time.
Old November 12, 2012, 03:49 PM   #11
Redhawk5.5+P+

Well, right now your best handgun is a 310 NG.

I'm a revolver guy and I just purchased a Glock 20SF.

FYI, my brother has one of those. Collass gun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G20ls 018.JPG (166.4 KB, 19 views)
Old November 12, 2012, 04:50 PM   #12
1 old 0311-1

Bit me about 30 years ago. ALL S&W's

Old November 12, 2012, 06:33 PM   #13
Redhawk5.5+P+

LOL

He who dies with the most revolvers still dies.
Old November 12, 2012, 06:41 PM   #14
rclark

Never did cross 'over' from Semi-auto to revolver. Always liked Single Actions and stuck with it. I did buy a Ruger Mark II back in the 80s but that was it ... kids will be kids until recently I bought a GSG 1911 .22 because I do kind of like the 1911 style. I figure if I am going to shoot a bit of semi-auto, I don't want to chase the brass . Bottom line ... only .22 for semi-autos for me and this will probably (never say never) be the last one in my life time. Back to regularly scheduled Single Action shooting hah!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old November 12, 2012, 08:15 PM   #15
bedbugbilly

No . . . not yet. Only six? You need to add at least another half a dozen to properly call it a "herd"! LOL

Nice selection you have! I do have a couple of semi-autos but have always shot SA revolvers for the most part . . . just something about a revolver.

A while back, I was at a gun store that I frequent and was talking with the owner as we watched some younger guys looking over the semi-autos. He mentioned that he sold far more semis than wheel guns - especially to the younger fellas. To each their own and we all have our preferences but the revolver has such a rich history and is such a pleasure to shoot . . . maybe I'm just showing my age?

Thanks for sharing and enjoy those revolvers!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 12, 2012, 08:34 PM   #16
Pfletch83

Question for the O.P.

Can you without thought... pick the right ammount of loose ammo out of your pocket to fit the gun you have on hand?

If the answer is yes then I am afraid to say that you've been stricken by what is known in the non-medical community as Revolver-its...symptoms include grinding of the teeth when someone at the range brings out their S&W 686 or Model 17....after that you'll have urges to purchase a model 10 or Ruger security six if it gets bad enough you can run the risk of dan wesson or even worse Korth fever....that my friend will be the end of your cash flow as you know it.
Old November 12, 2012, 08:48 PM   #17
pelo801

1 Old, that's pretty impressive. 2nd row from the right, the one on he bottom, i like that one.
i do have a few other revolvers, but yeah i am still working up to a herd of revolvers. these are the others

Old November 14, 2012, 01:41 AM   #18
warningshot

Has to the 1-0311,

Ya, but are they all real? 'He who dies with the most toys wins?' Now who told you that?
Old November 14, 2012, 02:13 AM   #19
Rainbow Demon

So far I've never run across a revolver grip that my hand could not conform to for easy point shooting and greater ease in maintaining a sight picture in deliberate aimed fire.
My first centerfire handgun was a 1911A1, and I had no problem with it, but every other semi auto I've owned since then has required quite a bit of getting used to, and almost always hit low in instinctive point shooting even after years of getting used to.
The grip angle of the Luger might help solve the last issue, but I've never owned a real 9mm Luger, only the .22 Erma and the Ruger .22 that have similar grip angles.
My Ruger .22 autoloader was never as accurate as any of the full size revolvers I've owned, even the cheapest eurotrash revolvers.
A cheap small frame West German .22 with western style grip turned out to be one of the most accurate .22 handguns I've ever run across, and far more accurate than the Ruger.

The plow handle single action revolver grip seems to be the best all around grip, one that every human hand conforms to naturally.

A single action revolver, and many double action revolvers, can still be used effectively even if several internal parts are worn,broken or missing. The semi auto has passive safety features that should prevent effective use unless all parts are in working order.
Old November 14, 2012, 03:38 AM   #20
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
Has to the 1-0311,

Ya, but are they all real? 'He who dies with the most toys wins?' Now who told you that?
I'm so confused!

I wrote "he who dies with the most toys still dies."
Old November 16, 2012, 12:13 AM   #21
warningshot

Of all those wheel guns, you think maybe just one itty-bittie one might be...say...a Tarus. Now that is what I'd call contamination.
Old November 16, 2012, 10:44 AM   #22
1 old 0311-1

Of all those wheel guns, you think maybe just one itty-bittie one might be...say...a Tarus. Now that is what I'd call contamination.

Not a one ALL S&W, though I do own 2 Taurus. They make a good gun but the S&W's I bought as collectables.
Old November 16, 2012, 11:00 AM   #23
DFrame

Generally if it goes bang, I like it. That said, I have more DA revolvers than all the rest combined, almost all Colt.
Old November 17, 2012, 12:29 AM   #24
Jeff #111

I own five autos and twelve revolvers. I like autos, but revolvers are my favorites.
Old November 17, 2012, 08:07 PM   #25
shafter

I am definitely a revolver guy. I do like 1911's though and have recently discovered that Glocks are not evil. Generally speaking give me a good single action or classic Smith and Wesson.