The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old March 12, 2013, 01:06 PM   #1
eldermike

LGS = worthless to the non-hoarding non-prepping public

I have made a personal decision to waste no more gas and time on the LGS's and resigned myself to hazmat fees as part of the overall costs of shooting. As a shooter these type stores have become of no use to me. If I were a hoarder/prepper then perhaps they would present me with some value.

I will continue my new ways on a permanent basis. I reserve the right to change my mind if: I ever see an actual zombie or my information gets low enough to convince me that there is an actual crisis.

Last edited by eldermike; March 12, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old March 12, 2013, 01:09 PM   #2
chiefr

Old March 12, 2013, 02:48 PM   #3
bazookajeff89

........What does this even mean/trying to convey?
Old March 12, 2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Joe_Pike

Old March 12, 2013, 03:04 PM   #5
zxcvbob

It made sense to me. (helps if you reload)
Old March 12, 2013, 03:13 PM   #6
eldermike

Yep, if you are a reloader you will get it, I hope

Blowing off steam. I don't want to own all the bullseye in town, I just want a pound and when I shoot that pound up I'll go get another one.
Old March 12, 2013, 03:40 PM   #7
chiefr

Unfortunately and due to the political climate, one NOW has to keep stocks of reloading supplies if one expects to partake in the shooting sports.

I guess this behavior can be called hoarding.

I too have been frustrated of the shortage of reloading supplies at my LGS. Having said that, major internet retailers are backordered on most reloading supplies too. I don't have a problem at all paying the the hazmat fee if I can find what I want.
Old March 12, 2013, 04:01 PM   #8
zxcvbob

Quote:
I don't have a problem at all paying the the hazmat fee if I can find what I want.
It gives you an excuse to buy 8 pounds of powder (at least) instead of just one, or 5000 primers instead of 1000.

I assume EM posted this here instead of in the reloading subforum because it's more a problem of ammo availability than reloading supplies -- but the scarcity of reloading stuff at the same time makes it so much worse.

I've been buying a little extra whenever supplies are cheap and/or plentiful, so I'm in pretty good shape* except for .22LR (and I bought that too, I've just used up half of it and was about to restock in December...)

*not because I'm so clever, just I've been doing this for a while. It would really suck to be a new shooter right now; just got into it or just got old enough and can't buy any ammo or primers because hogs are buying it all.
Old March 12, 2013, 04:11 PM   #9
eldermike

What gets me going is, there is no actual crisis.
Old March 12, 2013, 04:11 PM   #10
buck460XVR

While the shelves at the Big Box Outdoor stores and Wally World have been empty, many of the small LGS's around me have had anything I really needed, if I looked hard enough. Prices were about the same as before the frenzy and comparable to the internet. Many times they had something I wanted when it could not be found anywhere on the internet. Fortunately, like many others that went thru this same thing 4 years ago, there wasn't a lot that I really needed. Now that stuff is starting to show up on internet web sites, it also has been starting to show up at the LGS's. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Old March 12, 2013, 04:18 PM   #11
eldermike

Buck, do they have a can of Bullseye?
Old March 12, 2013, 04:48 PM   #12
zxcvbob

EM, do you know any shotgunners? They might loan you a half a pound of Red Dot to keep you shootin'.

Also your LGS might have a pound of Green Dot, PB, or Nitro 100, or one of the other less-popular fast powders.
Old March 12, 2013, 05:46 PM   #13
eldermike

I have blue dot, not ideal but it will go bang. All the guys I know are shooters like me, they need the supplies they have.
Old March 12, 2013, 06:46 PM   #14
BoogieMan

I have a good deal going with my LGS so Ill continue to go there. Unfortunately he doesnt sell powder anymore, fees got to him. I do know of another store that has a stash of powder. at least I hope they still have some.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 12, 2013, 06:49 PM   #15
Jerry45

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike
What gets me going is, there is no actual crisis.
If you don't believe our nation is in crisis you must be living under a rock. There are many states that aren't in crisis right now however several are. Look at the laws just passed in NY, Colorado, Organ and etc. Some major companies involved in the firearms business are refusing to sell to some states and LE and government agencies in those states. Feinstein, Shumer and their ilk are pushing for draconian people control by the federal government. Have some of The People gone overboard buying and hording. I believe they have but that's what happens when fascism rares it's ugly head. If you don't understand what is going on you need to start doing some research on other gun boards and political forums.

I hope I don't get canned for addressing politics in the reloading forum but I believe it needed saying.

Last edited by Jerry45; March 12, 2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old March 12, 2013, 07:12 PM   #16
eldermike

Its the hoarders that are living under rocks. To fix our nation we will have to get over the idea of self and dedicate ourselves to saving it. Hoarders will not be of any use in that process because they are only concerned with self in the first place. I trust God and His will, I don't need a million rounds and neither do any of you. The crisis is one of misplaced trust.
Old March 12, 2013, 07:31 PM   #17
Jerry45

"They" only think of self? Who's the one whining.

I've been shooting and reloading for years. I have powder, primers and bullets. Week before last I went the range with a friend and his guest. His guest shot 3 of my rifles and use up several hundred rounds of .223, .308 and 30-06 of my "stash" and a couple hundred pistol rounds of my friends "stash". Not to mention what my friend and I shot. I have enough powder, primers and bullets to that for some time to come. I'll be burning up some-more tomorrow. If someone at the range wants to shoot any of my firearms I'll let them and furnish the ammo. Because we, my friend and I, have soooooo much powder, primers and bullets we must be selfish hoarders. Thanks for opening my eyes. I'm really sorry I bought so much.

Last edited by Jerry45; March 12, 2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old March 12, 2013, 07:35 PM   #18
TennJed

LGS = worthless to the non-hoarding non-prepping public

Eldermike, I am sorry but I have no idea as to what you are trying to convey or why you are blaming the local gun shop owners. Do you think they are purposefully hiding powder from you? Do you think they would get more if they could? Do you realize they are people trying to make a living? They are running a business, not a charity
Old March 12, 2013, 07:42 PM   #19
hooligan1

Heck my LGS has been pretty much stocked again I don't think this one was like the earlier "Bad Times", but there is still stuff we cant find here, bullets, some types of primers. I'm setting on what I've had stored for a couple years, but since I have been testing ammunition, my cache is getting lean.
Old March 12, 2013, 07:49 PM   #20
wild willy

The only people I feel sorry for are the ones who just started loading.If you were loading 4 years ago and saw what happened and didn't put some extra supplies back you don't have any one to blame but yourself.I get tired of unprepared people whining and blaming everybody else.
Old March 12, 2013, 07:59 PM   #21
5 STRING

If you don't believe our nation is in crisis you must be living under a rock. There are many states that aren't in crisis right now however several are. Look at the laws just passed in NY, Colorado, Organ and etc. Some major companies involved in the firearms business are refusing to sell to some states and LE and government agencies in those states. Feinstein, Shumer and their ilk are pushing for draconian people control by the federal government. Have some of The People gone overboard buying and hording. I believe they have but that's what happens when fascism rares it's ugly head. If you don't understand what is going on you need to start doing some research on other gun boards and political forums.

I stated basically the same things that a couple of you have said on another forum, and got chewed out by some of the members on that site. Seems that they thought as long as they, themselves had 50,000 to 100,000 components of each caliber in their inventory at all times...then they, themselves were not looking at a problem, .... just people like me have the problem,....we who didn't/don't empty the shelves every week like they do.

Although, some of the ones who were crowing about having so much powder/primers stashed back at that time, are now running out of their own personal stock and are starting to sweat and cry a little louder.....just like the rest of us nobodys.

And yes, I am a new guy on this forum.....and yes I have some powder, primers and bullets... But I won't be wasting them either.....Not now....Not until somebody in Washington, DC with a brain starts speaking intelligently.

My 02
Old March 12, 2013, 08:02 PM   #22
Jerry45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild willy
The only people I feel sorry for are the ones who just started loading.If you were loading 4 years ago and saw what happened and didn't put some extra supplies back you don't have any one to blame but yourself.I get tired of unprepared people whining and blaming everybody else.
Ditto!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 12, 2013, 08:15 PM   #23
Jerry45

5 STRING, I understand. I was watching Duck Dynasty last night for the first time. It was pretty funny but the uncle said something profound, "you can't fix stupid". Seems I've heard that before.
Old March 12, 2013, 08:41 PM   #24
rclark

Quote:
don't want to own all the bullseye in town, I just want a pound and when I shoot that pound up I'll go get another one.
That was the way I was before the first so called election.... I'd even buy primers by the 100 as I needed them. Now I buy by the 1000. After the first go around, I decided to buy a little every two weeks (payday)... Whether it was a box of .22s or some primers, or a bit more powder. Once to a certain level, just replenish. Bullets aren't a problem as lead is available everywhere. This time around, it has paid off as this year, at least, is covered. I just hope it doesn't last for 4 years as the idjits in federal/states keeps pounding gun control/national registry/tax on bullets/7 cartridge magazines/etc ..... Still I keep looking locally so I can 'replenish' . Call me a hoarder.... but I am loading and shooting.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old March 12, 2013, 08:53 PM   #25
eldermike

I don't see it as being stupid to challenge the pratice of hoarding. I am also not whining I can reload rifles from 6mm PPC to 458 win mag and shoot, I am not out of business. But I can complain that I don't like being forced to join in on stockpiling for some event I don't think is going to happen. And I don't feel that's being stupid.
Closed Thread