The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 22, 2011, 04:26 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

A day is not wasted upon which you learn something

Those SOBs at Cabela's with their outstanding deals got me.

Bought the 1860 for 169.00 plus shipping. (20 bucks off until 08/09). Then the trouble started.

Cabela's shipped it UPS with adult signature required and Gov't issued ID examined to verify the sig.

I was in Florida on business and Mrs. Doc Hoy happened to be out of the house (making some money so I can turn around and buy the Remington) when the UPS dudette arrived.

Pistol not delivered since no one was home to sign.

Wife made the notation to UPS to leave the pistol without sig. After all, who would steal a brand new revolver?

UPS wheenie still did not leave the pistol.

Spousal unit then arranged with the neighbor to sign for the pistol. Neighbor's sister is not a resident of Virginia and is without a gov't ID.

Still no pistol.

Finally went to the UPS warehouse and picked it up today. (Just got back from FL.)

I got on the phone with Cabela's to cuss them out for their intransigent and idiotic shipping policies, only to be told that if I wanted the pistol shipped without the requirement for a signature, all I needed to do is to say so.

I learned two things.

1. I have the option to get Cabela's to ship to my door without the requirement for a signature. (Chancy but probably will be my new delivery mode.)

2. It is possible to wipe egg off one's face while simultaneously eating crow. (A practice I will try to avoid in the future.)
Old August 22, 2011, 04:51 PM   #2
zullo74

I'm glad you FINALLY got your revolver (notice I did not call it a GUN).
Old August 22, 2011, 04:54 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Hey man

You and me, Zullo. You and me.
Old August 22, 2011, 05:12 PM   #4
zullo74

Anchors aweigh, shipmate.
USN '68-74 AE2 VA-83
Old August 22, 2011, 05:15 PM   #5
armoredman

zullo, AE-2? I was aboard AE-24...
Old August 22, 2011, 05:20 PM   #6
zullo74

No, no. AE2=Aviation Electricians Mate Second Class (PO2/E5)
Old August 22, 2011, 05:43 PM   #7
armoredman

Copy, GMGSN. Us deck apes are a little thick skulled sometimes.
Old August 22, 2011, 05:47 PM   #8
zullo74

OK gunner, carry on.
Old August 30, 2011, 03:58 PM   #9
Scooch

A slightly different problem...

The "too good to be true" deal got me too. I shipped the revolver to my office so receiving it was easy. I dare not open the box at work and cause an HR sh**storm so I had to wait until I got home. That was hard.

The revolver was a poorly manufactured POS.

The barrel wedge was hammered into the slot so hard that there was no way I was going to get it out without damaging the barrel, frame, center pin or all of them. This was obviously an effort to close the gap between the cylinder and barrel, which even with the wedge jammed in far as it could go, was still so large a gap that the cylinder rotation prong would not engage the cylinder enough to rotate it. The cylinder just slopped back and forth on the pin between the barrel and the rear frame. The barrel exit (muzzle) was not finished. It appeared that the machining did not finish the rifling and the bit was removed about 1/4" from the end of the barrel, leaving a large unfinished and jagged obstruction just inside the muzzle. Good thing the cylinder was so loose. Firing this revolver could have been dangerous.

But hey, the grips fit beautifully!

This is only my second Pietta and my first was flawless. I had no hesitation in buying another. So back to Cabela's it went and now I wait for my replacement. One thing is certain, Cabela's return policy and process IS flawless. I just wish it were faster!
Old August 30, 2011, 04:13 PM   #10
zullo74

Wow, that is a real horror story! I've never even heard of someone getting a Pietta THAT bad.
Old August 30, 2011, 05:09 PM   #11
Hawg

according to some folks they're all that bad. Thinking about getting a 51 Navy from the bargain cave in a couple of days if my money holds out.
Old August 30, 2011, 06:10 PM   #12
Rachen

I HAVE heard that Pietta wedges are settled into the barrels with more pressure than that at the core of Jupiter. Maybe even enough pressure to cause Jupiter to undergo fusion and become a new star in the solar system.

That is the only thing that prevented me from settling on an 1860 as my daily carry gun.

But otherwise, Pietta makes helluva good merchandise. They are the Hondas of the revolver world while Ubertis and Rugers are the Suzukis and Harley-Davidsons.
Old August 30, 2011, 06:17 PM   #13
zullo74

I don't know about MC's but my last two Piettas were PERFECT in every respect!
Old August 30, 2011, 06:52 PM   #14
Rachen

Quote:
I don't know about MC's but my last two Piettas were PERFECT in every respect!
Thats why I compared the Pietta to a Honda I own a Honda Rebel 250cc. Tough, affordable, rugged as all hell. Strapped saddlebags to it, tankbag and tailbag and I traveled over 35 states in the Union with it. Riding is just as fun and enlightening as target shooting for me and many others too, motorcycling communities are just as protective and talkative about their machines as gunnies are about firearms

Pietta are absolutely wizards when it comes to the 1858 Remington. Perfect, simply perfect piece of machinery.
Old August 30, 2011, 06:54 PM   #15
Hawg

The wedge in my 1860 seated with thumb pressure. I had to tap it out when it was new but it wasn't hard at all.
Old August 30, 2011, 06:57 PM   #16
zullo74

Mine too. When the arbor is the correct length, the wedge fits correctly and the barrel to cylinder gap is consistent. As it should be!
Old August 30, 2011, 11:10 PM   #17
62coltnavy

My first Pietta was a 61 Navy that I bought through BP Stuff. He called me to say that the wedge was in so tight he would have to hammer it out, and wanted to get my approval before damaging the finish. I think he described it as "some ape with a sledgehammer in Italy" put in the wedge. Wonder what happened to him--he got overwhelmed with work, and now his web site is gone. Too bad--he did a wonderful action job on the pistol.