The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 18, 2009, 09:06 PM   #1
Carbon_15

Browning A-5 questions

I was cleaning my A5 today and noticed that I have been shooting skeet loads with the friction ring set for magnum shells. I fired about 140 rounds today without one failure. If I change the ring to the light load setting will I have more or less felt recoil. If it works in the magnum load setting, should I just leave it there all the time?
Thanks,
Jason

http://carolinashootersforum.com/index.php
Old August 19, 2009, 05:05 AM   #2
Hawk3y3

I guess I jump in here with my first post...That's a real nice shooter, it's been along time since I hunted with the Browning A5. Like to own another one some day. I really miss mine.

140 rounds and just one failure ? And the rings' setting were set for heavy loads using light loads. Hmm. From what I understand, setting the rings for heavy loads will cause jams using light loads, by the less action recoil chambering. As far as unnecessary recoil, I would say' Not since your using light loads anyhow.

For firing heavy loads' .the more rings that are put in, the more slower the barrel action will move.The rings cause friction that slow the moving barrel down, absorbing the recoil.

Firing heavy loads with less rings, will give unnecessary recoil slam' that may damage your gun, and a sore shoulder.

I think I got that right? lol...... I'll leave it to the experts, to chat along.
Old August 19, 2009, 06:43 AM   #3
Goatwhiskers

I suspect that if you're having no ejection problems under the given situation, you probably have the mag tube excessively lubricated and the friction ring is not working. Correct lube consists of applying a very light coat of gun grease or a couple drops of 30wt. oil, then wiping off all you can get with a clean dry rag. I have seen Brownings with excess lubrication combined with old springs that have battered the rear of the receiver out. Another thing to look at is that the slot in the bronze ring and the slot in the steel spring around it must be aligned or the friction system won't work. Combine that with too much oil and you see what you got. Here endeth the epistle. Goatwhiskers the Elder

Edit: I just happened to wonder if you are thinking that you are shooting skeet loads by the amount of brass showing. There ain't no such thing as "high brass" or "low brass" loads. You must go by the load in the shell. I've seen ammo with a heavy game or field load that has very little brass showing, even some, I think it was Estate brand, with no brass showing at all. Goat

Last edited by Goatwhiskers; August 19, 2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old August 19, 2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Carbon_15

Thanks for the tips. I'll check that stuff out. You taught me something about the lube on the magazine...
I was shooting 3 dram 1 1/8 oz shells BTW.

http://carolinashootersforum.com/index.php
Old August 19, 2009, 01:52 PM   #5
zippy13

Greetings, Hawk3y3, and welcome aboard!