The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 5, 2005, 10:34 AM   #1
Panman

Armi ?

I just bought a '58, 44 cal Armi San Marcos over on Auction Arms. I find that parts are hard to find for it, especially conversion cylinders. Does anybody know the history of this company and where I can find parts or what does interchange with it? Thanks.
Old May 13, 2005, 01:03 PM   #2
RobW

AFAIK Armi San Marco went out of business some years ago. They were on the low end (quality-wise) of the Italian replica manufactureres. To use a conversion cylinder (even if one would fit) is a risk IMHO.

The only chance to get spare-parts is to fit parts from vti-gun-parts for Ubertis or Piettas to the ASM, but I think it's not worth the effort.
Old May 13, 2005, 01:59 PM   #3
Panman

Thanks RobW. I found out as much through searching. It was only 70 bucks and shoots fine so I'll look for a Uberti to convert.
Old May 13, 2005, 02:01 PM   #4
LEE3370

ASM Parts

Gun Works has some parts for ASM revolvers and VTI is getting some in but does not have them cataloged yet. I just got in an order from VTI and everything was alright. You will have to call or e-mail VTI. On Gun Works, go to their website and look under - production guns - CVA - revovler parts. I have ordered quite a bit in the past from Gun Works and have been pleased every time.
Good Luck,
Lee
Old May 13, 2005, 02:42 PM   #5
mec

friend has an asm made dragoon. It is very well-finished and looks as good or better than a uberti. He did have to quite a bit of work on the important stuff though. They had dropped the bolt in without fitting. He had to fit a new one. The trigger was heavy and he adjusted that. the major work was hand polishing the chambers to the point that they were larger than the bore and all pretty much the same size. At first it would not group but since he got the chambers regulated, it works very well with .454 or .457 balls.

Several years ago ASM was selling a peace maker clone called the "Peacekeeper" or some such. Had a superior blue/caseharded finish that was said to be by Turnbull restorations. Very lightly sprung with light trigger pull too. The gunmagazine cowboy writers loved it but apparently either quality assurance or aftermarket support was so poor that the company went broke.
Old May 20, 2005, 09:50 AM   #6
LEE3370

Armi San Marco

Howdy,
Armi San Marco was making revolvers for American Western Arms, including the "Peacekeeper". AWA bought ASM, then Colt sued AWA because the "Peacekeeper" looked and sounded too much like the "Peacemaker". AWA lost the case and ASM went out of business. There are still some AWA sales.
Lee
Old May 20, 2005, 11:31 AM   #7
mec

Colt is doing a pretty good job of picking on what they seem to consider competitors. A lot of the catalogs have dropped the name " Colt" from their descriptions of their replicas. One just deleted the name so what used to be "1860 Model Colt" Now reads " 1860 Model."
Old May 22, 2005, 02:40 AM   #8
Sir William

ASM is pretty much junk. They attempted to make a sows ear into a silk purse when AWA sent U.S. steel to Italy. They made the worst lever action 92 ever. Total POJ. The AWA people couldn't achieve consistent quality in fit or function with their PKs or Longhorn revolvers. AWA put all their eggs in one basket in their attempt at reproducing the Colt Lightning pump action rifles. They went bankrupt and it was poor quality products not Colt that put them out of business. Avoid anything with ASM or AWA on it. Soft metals, undersprung mainsprings, broken bolts, poor quality and the ASMs and AWAs I have experience with had their barrels screwed into the frames and held together with red Loctite. There are documented cases of ASM-AWA revolvers disentegrating when fired. Poor steel and failure to lock into battery were the basic causes. I had one from Traditions that was dangerously out of spec. I had another that the cylinder could not turn as it was completely drilled off center. ASM manufactured anything is to be thought of as a gunsmith learning experience. They tried to make a S&W Schofield breaktop. They did. Everytime the hammer ignited a cartridge. My knuckles hurt when I hear anybody mention those ASM Schofields. $70.00 is about what they are worth.
Old May 22, 2005, 06:39 AM   #9
mec

Friend got an asm dragoon from dixie a few years ago. At that time, they were the only ones making them. Chamber mouths .440something, Barrel 450 something. they had dropped in the bolt without any attempt to fit it and it was dropping early. External finish was nice.

He got it shooting by hand reaming all the chambers to the more or less same diameter and refitted a bolt. Also adjusted the atrocious trigger pull.

He also found a Colt CTG conversion navy made by ASM. Mainspring snapped after a hundred rounds or so. Fortunately, a generic mainspring fit fine and oddly enough for asm, the gun is pretty accurate.
Old May 23, 2005, 09:53 AM   #10
Panman

I went out shooting it this last weekend. If their was a problem with fit and function, it was solved by a previous owner. I shot 5 cylinders worth with great, consistant patterns. I did notice the trigger pull was a little strong, take care of that myself. Thanks for the info, will stay away from ASM in the future, don't want to push my luck.
Panman
Old May 23, 2005, 03:01 PM   #11
mec

Sounds like you had good luck this time though. Great!