The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 15, 2015, 08:10 PM   #51
godale

very very sad
Old November 15, 2015, 08:47 PM   #52
Slamfire

Looks like this has happened before at Red's Range. This report is from 2012

2012 Reds Range shooting self inflicted or??

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...239437/gonew/1

The older I get, the more I feel the tragedy of someone killing themselves. I have known a number of people who self murdered, and I have known many more who died young due to cancer, medical conditions, and accidents. All terrible. I don't know what could be done for the suicides, Matt, for example, ran rifle matches, a young, bright man, seemed happy, and it was a shock to find out that he killed himself. Whatever depression he had, it did not show to us, his friends, and we are less for the loss of him.

I guess the depressed people who kill themselves at a gun range don't realize the trauma they put others through, those who are witnesses, those who are relatives and friends.
Old November 22, 2015, 11:20 AM   #53
dajowi

A number of years ago we had a suicide at our local gun club. Not at the range but at the picnic grounds...he hung himself. I certainly hope we don't have another one inside the range or out, particularly on my watch.
Old November 25, 2015, 02:11 AM   #54
JDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndsojourn View Post
From mehavey:

It's the Gun Range Loophole don't you know ?

From the linked article:

"But federal background checks aren’t allowed for rental customers. “When an individual is acquiring a firearm for rental purposes, the individual is not expected to remove the firearm from the premises,” explained Stephen Fischer of the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services. “Therefore, no firearm background check may be conducted by the NICS because the person is not ‘possessing or receiving’ the firearm for personal use off of the firearm owner’s property.”

I'd like to see a legal eagle's opinion on that. Not that I'm advocating more background checks, but if it solves a problem (allegedly), why can't a gun range have access to the NICS system?
A NICS check is not going to tell you if the renter intends to commit suicide.
Old November 25, 2015, 02:43 AM   #55
hartcreek

Quite frankly how many of you want some politician telling you how much pain you have to endure?

Yes many of these people do not take full advantage of their options before they resort to suicide. I sure do not want some politico telling me what I have to endure.

I am alive only because I keep up with my medical screening. The stuff that I worked with for the four years that I was a college Biology and Chemistry lab tech. disabled me and one day will lead to my early death. When I get to that point I want my options open.
Old November 25, 2015, 04:10 AM   #56
Gunarly

Sad to hear. It sucks having to see something like that.
Old November 25, 2015, 03:49 PM   #57
vito

I think the solution is to have signs that say "No Suicides Permitted Here". But seriously, I am a bit surprised that this does not happen more often considering how common suicide is in this country.
Old November 26, 2015, 06:39 PM   #58
Road_Clam

indoor range suicides have happened twice near me. I'm kinda mixed about how I feel about this type of tragedy. One side is the fact of "what a selfish POS resorting to suicide by means of a bullet in the brain, potentially endangering all those around the immediate area" , then I flip to a different perspective which is "thank god he put a bullet in his own brain and not the brains of other innocent people" (ie ex wife , ex girlfriend , ex girlfriends' new boyfriend) and so on...
Old November 27, 2015, 11:45 AM   #59
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The motivation itself may not have an ounce of selfishness in it, but the act leaves many burdened.
While certainly true, I don't see the burden on those left behind as significantly worse than the burden left by an accidental death, or a sudden unanticipated death from a heart attack or other condition.

This isn't the place to discuss the morality of suicide, and I'm not going to.

All the things already said apply, the way it was done was truly a very selfish act.

Renting a gun, and killing yourself at a public range is something I personally consider particularly dishonorable. My sympathy for those who had to witness it, and those who have to deal with the consequences. For the one who did it, and deliberately chose to do it that way, I have only contempt.
Old November 27, 2015, 03:05 PM   #60
Sevens

Quote:
This isn't the place to discuss the morality of suicide, and I'm not going to.
I agree with this, but a little age and experience has seemed to present to me the idea that my snap judgements in the past with regards to suicide may not be entirely accurate. Again, it goes well beyond what is on-topic here at TFL forums, but it's kind of like what I had nearly always thought & assumed about eating disorders such as anorexia/bulimia. Extremely easy for a "regular" guy like me to take George Carlin's words and hold them near & dear... however, those words are merely the EASY answer and do not reflect the depth of reality.

I would love to share Carlin's words, but they are even more inappropriate than this discussion.

Often I truly wish we had a whole separate are of this site where completely non-gun related topics could be discussed. I understand TFL's position on this and fully respect that position. And it's often said that "there are hundreds of places on the 'net for such discussions" however what is missing from THAT truism is that is these people here that I choose and wish to share discussions with, and not random English speaking internet guy.

We had a totally offtopic forum on a hockey discussion forum I was very active at and we had some of the greatest conversations I can recall, simply because we were all friends before we had a single discussion.

In a half-hearted attempt to keep my post topic-related, one of our most popular indoor ranges here in my town has had two suicides. Only one was on the range... the other one was in the parking lot, inside the car of the lady who purchased the new gun. No NICS or Federal form or even sales tax and inflated ammo price derailed her from her goal.