The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 26, 2012, 04:22 PM   #51
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

I never included the Hanson case in the 2A Current Cases, because it was consolidated with Heller II months before I began the list. I'll go ahead and add it to the end of the list, but note that it is now Heller II. To recap that case:

Quote:
HANSON et al v. DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA et al: Filed March 9, 2009 as 1:2009cv00454. This is a SAF/Alan Gura case that challenges the authority of D.C. to mirror the CA Safe Handgun Rooster. On May 7, 2009, this case was consolidated with Heller II (1:08-cv-01289-RMU - see doc #17. Decision is also at Justia). On June 25, 2009, D.C. Noticed an Emergency Rulemaking which change the CA Rooster to that of MD. The case was closed (as consolidated) on July 30, 2009.

Internet Archive
Justia Summary
TFL Thread
As you can see from the above, it is not the CA roster, but the MD roster that is in effect.
Old February 3, 2012, 05:49 PM   #52
Spats McGee
Staff

Emily Miller's registration has been approved: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...tion-approved/
Old February 3, 2012, 09:31 PM   #53
motorhead0922

As this story unfolds, I keep thinking: DC bears no resemblance to America.
Old February 3, 2012, 11:10 PM   #54
ltc444

DC is technically different than any other place in the US. It is technically a FEDERAL MILITARY DISTRICT. I think they should through out the civilian government and let the Army administer it.

Then we might get some reasonable rules and regulations.
Old February 6, 2012, 02:19 PM   #55
jimbob86

re: the vision test requirement in DC.....

The guy that gave me my Concealed Carry class, Paul Horvick, of ShootingSafely.com, related how he had, under threat of an ADA lawsuit, repeatedly given ( and eventually passed! ) a blind, wheelchair bound man the required CCW class for Minnestota, complete with range qualification.

"Equality Before the Law" .... either it means something, or it does not.
Old February 6, 2012, 02:23 PM   #56
Tom Servo
Staff

Blindness isn't an either/or proposition. "Legally blind" can refer to several levels of visual impairment.

I know a guy who can't recognize faces from more than about four feet away, but he can shoot fairly well. It's amazing what a little guidance and muscle memory can achieve. He's proven himself safe and conscientious.

Yet, under DC's law, he'd be disarmed.
Old February 6, 2012, 02:38 PM   #57
jimbob86

As I recall it, Paul's student was completely blind ....... the argument stands, and is stronger with a completely blind person: either they can or can't meet the requirements of the class/permit, regardless of some bureaucrats preconcieved notion of their abilities......

DC's laws could easily be asailed under the ADA, if there was a willing litigant.
Old February 8, 2012, 05:52 AM   #58
CowTowner

I have started wondering about how the training and range requirements sound so much like Benson v. Chicago. No range in D.C. and trainers aren't allowed to perform the training in the city. Seems like similar circumstances to my non-lawyer brain.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old February 8, 2012, 04:06 PM   #59
Ultravox

Emily managed to pickup her gun and take it home today.

Details on her Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/emilymiller

And a new blog post:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...y-got-her-gun/
Old February 8, 2012, 05:23 PM   #60
RamItOne

yup followed the story for a few months. thought she'd have gone w/ a 226 vs the 229 since she wanted a more full size pistol, and those grips she ordered werent for me, but thats the point its her gun not mine. Sad how much red tape she had to go through.

http://twitter.com/#!/EmilyMiller/st.../photo/1/large
Old February 10, 2012, 02:59 AM   #61
jimpeel

All Hail Emily!

Attached Images
File Type: gif allhail.gif (23.2 KB, 506 views)

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old February 21, 2012, 02:11 AM   #62
jimpeel

Emily Miller on NRA interview. (Cross post to ATF Gunrunner thread. POST #2034)

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

Old February 28, 2012, 12:35 PM   #63
Bartholomew Roberts

Well, Emily got her gun... now she has a new adventure to report on... buying ammo for the gun. Apparently D.C. regulations make this fairly challenging in its own right; but the D.C. officials she talked to tacked a few of their own requirements on to make it interesting.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...ammunition-dc/
Old March 1, 2012, 10:20 AM   #64
Spats McGee
Staff

Ms. Miller is now reporting that the DC council voted on some pretty big changes to the DC regulations: MILLER: Victory for gun rights in D.C.
Old March 1, 2012, 12:25 PM   #65
jimpeel

This article on Fox News cites Emily's travails in acquiring a firearm. There is an accompanying video.

SOURCE

Quote:
Gun ownership 'very difficult' despite Supreme Court rulings

By Shannon Bream

Published February 23, 2012 | FoxNews.com

Emily Miller, a senior opinion editor at The Washington Times and also a crime victim, decided to get a gun following the Supreme Court's decision, but says she had no idea how "frustrating" it would be.

<MORE>

Old March 1, 2012, 12:27 PM   #66
Tom Servo
Staff

Good catch, Spats. Here are some of the provisions of the new legislation:

Quote:
eliminates the five-hour training requirement for gun ownership (...) which cost an average of $200, could not even be legally taken within city limits, calling into question the requirement’s constitutionality.
It also does away with the restriction that residents can only own ammunition for guns they own, does away with required vision tests, and pushes the requirement for registration renewals back to January 2014.
Old March 1, 2012, 01:10 PM   #67
Spats McGee
Staff

Thanks, Tom. Here are the parts that really caught my eye:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Times
Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) Chief Cathy Lanier asked the council to end the mandatory classes. She told The Washington Times that her department will instead provide a video online or at the registry office that covers gun safety and local laws. “I think it makes sense,” she explained. “We’ll be more consistent with what other jurisdictions do.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Times
Councilman Jack Evans, Ward 2 Democrat, voted for the bill under political pressure. “Council member Mendelson called me last night and said, ‘This is what I believe we have to do in order to accommodate the concerns raised by Congress and, or, the courts,’ Mr. Evans told The Washington Times. “Although none of us like making it easier for someone to have a gun legally, we believe that this is what we have to do.”

Last edited by Spats McGee; March 1, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old March 2, 2012, 10:47 AM   #68
Spats McGee
Staff

In spite of what appeared to be a recent victory in the relaxation of some of the licensing requirements, it doesn't look like Ms. Miller is going to let up:

MILLER: D.C.’s crime solution: Be a victim
Old March 2, 2012, 11:40 AM   #69
CowTowner

Nor should she. The citizens of our nation's capitol should be able to defend themselves as any other American should.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old March 4, 2012, 10:51 AM   #70
ltc444

Go Emily.

The policies of the FAA and the Airline Industry was to comply with high jackers. After 911 that policy changed. We now see and hear reports of passengers subduing violent passengers.

Hopefully (though doubtfully) the administration of DC and other anti 5A jurisdiction will see the light. It is obvious that a growing number of their citizens have concluded that armed citizens are necessary for a safe society.
Old March 5, 2012, 04:03 PM   #71
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

re: Vision testing...

TFL once had an active poster who was blind as a sleepin' bat who was learning to target shoot with help of a sighted person. He planned to get a ccw and carry.

Basically, if you have the right gun in the right holster and in the right location and find you are being assaulted, you can bet your blind bottom dollar that the person with his hands on you and your gun in his gut is the assailant...

While he has excellent vision, my wheelchair bound buddy is not one to be a "soft target"...

On topic... Glad to see this played out as I expected but that she took the time to record the process and put it out there for all the world to see...

Brent
Old March 6, 2012, 12:02 AM   #72
jimpeel

Emily is mentioned prominently in this NRA article on DC firearms laws and their current revision.

SOURCE

Quote:
In D.C., Baby Steps Toward Gun Law Sanity

Posted on March 2, 2012

Washington Times Opinion Page Senior Editor Emily Miller, who chronicled the extreme difficulties of purchasing a firearm in our Nation’s Capital, recently wrote an op-ed piece, in which she notes that D.C. officials have no solution for the city’s crime problem. The article reports that violent crime in the District is up 40 percent in the first two months of the year, including double the number of robberies at gunpoint.

The article also notes that at a recent community meeting on the increased violence--held by D.C. Council member Mary M. Cheh--one resident asked officials why the city makes it so difficult for law-abiding residents to possess guns and refuses to allow them to carry firearms outside of the home.

<MORE>

Old March 6, 2012, 02:08 AM   #73
jimpeel

Emily in another interview on Fox News.

The subject: Gun sales on the rise with women?

VIDEO LINK

Old March 14, 2012, 11:16 AM   #74
Spats McGee
Staff

Latest update: MILLER: D.C.'s gun law deception
Old March 14, 2012, 11:36 AM   #75
Mike Irwin
Staff

Oh for God's sake...

She says she's cleared up her misconceptions about DC improperly interpreting the gun laws and now she's no longer afraid of being "falsely arrested."

Maybe she understands them, but I think it's safe to say that DC police still don't understand them, so she's still in danger of being falsely arrested.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.