The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 10, 2001, 04:46 PM   #1
Romulus

I currently own an 870, 20" bbl, 8-shot mag tube (5+3.) Would an 18.5 bbl with a +2 rd. extension be preferable?

Mening, is it worth sacrifing that extra round to get a shorter barrel for HD?

Many thanks, gentlemen...
Old February 10, 2001, 06:59 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

IMHO, no.

Far better to spend the money on ammo and range time.

Giz
Old February 10, 2001, 07:17 PM   #3
Romulus

Ah yes, the money thing...

Assume I already have an 18.5" barrel and a +2 mag extension (it's my understanding that the +3 mag extension cannot be used with a 20" barrel.) So would I be better off with the shorter barrel minus a round, or with the longer barrel plus a round?

All in a HD context...
Old February 10, 2001, 10:01 PM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Truthfully, it's immaterial. The extra round is nice, but that assumes you keep the gun full up. Not a great idea unless your swapping springs often.

The 1.5 inches of barrel makes zero difference. The HD SG is a barricade weapon as opposed to a carry gun.

If you think you may *really* need the edge that one extra round may give you (after either missing with the 7 before it or shooting 7 goblins) your best bet is moving out of the area. Tonight. Fast. Muy pronto. Don't let the doorknob hit you in the 4th point of contact.

Otherwise, it's almost a retorical question.

Giz
Old February 11, 2001, 12:58 AM   #5
PER35

My HD shotgun is a Scatter Gun Tech. with all the extras, Tac Star light, side saddle, sites etc,but I only have a one shot mag extension on it. with 9 shots with each pull of the trigger I dont feel that I need a belt fed weapon.
Old February 11, 2001, 05:18 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The HD 870 has a 18 and a little bit inch bbl. The Deer 870 has a 20", both are set up identically, peep sights, mag extensions,etc. I see no difference in handling.

In fact, my 21" bbled GP 870(AKA Frankenstein) handles about the same in tight quarters.

Old February 11, 2001, 08:57 PM   #7
Romulus

Thanks again, gentlemen. I guess it will stay at 20", and I WILL spend the money on ammo and range time after all, Gizmo, especially now that I know a little more about the "pattern thing..."
Old February 11, 2001, 10:22 PM   #8
ReserveCop

would the basic Scattergun Tech be an excellent HD weapon?

I was wondering if you think the basic Scattergun Tech (Border Patrol Model) would be the best type of HD shotgun?

Or would you add anything more to it?

In your opinion, is the Border Patrol Model at a list price of about $675 a good value?

Thanks for your opinion.
Old February 12, 2001, 01:15 AM   #9
Coronach

All you really need is an 870 with some manner of reliable weapon-mounted light. Everything else is just fluff and buff.

Oh, lose the keyed safety, or buy used.

REALLY. Thats it. This is ballistics, not rocket science.

Cops use 870s for a number of reasons, the most important being that they get the job done. If you are working under ANY type of budget restrictions I would go down to the local gunshop, find a nice police trade-in, buy a weapon mounted light, install it, and then buy a few hundred $$$ worth of ammo and range time.

NOW...if you're like me and you have unlimited range time and ammo (perks of the job! woo hoo!) and already have one 870, and you just like sweating out the details...go get an 870 and send it to Vang Comp and worry no more. Just be prepared to dish out the dough.

Oh, and when you refer to your Vang Comped gun on this forum, be sure to use the term 'Loudenboomer.' Dave likes it.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old February 12, 2001, 01:25 AM   #10
Romulus

I keep reading about these "police trade-ins at local gun shops..." Haven't found one yet in spite of a dedicated search to virtually all gun shops in the Frisco area...
Is the concept a southern or south-western thing??
Old February 12, 2001, 02:57 AM   #11
PER35

I just picked up a nice police trade in last week, came from park city utah pd, according the the engraving on the receiver,,any way it is a real nice 870,,,i put a synth. stock on it and now i have a nice truck gun. for 199.00
Old February 12, 2001, 05:18 AM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Watch it, Mike, I have it copyrighted(G)....

Romulus, police tradeins are a sometime thing. Most depts re-equip on a 10 year cycle,so there'll be a short period when lots of them hit the market, and then a longer dry spell of unknown duration until the next local dept unloads.

One thing here, there's lots of depts in the DC/B-more area and so there's more inventory rotations than there may be elsewhere.
Old February 12, 2001, 10:57 AM   #13
Coronach

Also, as you live in the People's Republic of California, there might be some local/state law that forbids the sale of surplus police weapons to civilians...or at least one that prevents local police agencies from surplussing out their weapons. Either one would tend to dry up the local supply of police trade-ins. I dunno.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old February 12, 2001, 11:37 AM   #14
Romulus

Dave McC, hailing as I do originally from the District of Confusion / PG County area, I'm surprised to hear that the Balto-Wash corridor is more fertile ground for gun owners than California - I thought that after Massachussetts, Maryland was quite repressive...You can actually still PURCHASE a gun there?

Good point, Coronach, I'll have to query the local police to find out about the restrictions.
Old February 12, 2001, 12:23 PM   #15
Romulus

What can you expect to pay for a police trade-in 870? An 11-87?
Old February 12, 2001, 12:33 PM   #16
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

In South Carolina.........

The 870s are generally in the 175 to 225 range, 11-87s tend to be about 300-350. Only recently seen any 11-87s.

There were some M37s in the 170 to 225 range.

Condition affects value. Some of those guns were apparently dragged behind the patrol car a time or three.

Romulus - may want to look at having a FFL holder special order you one. Take a look at Shotgun News and see if anyone is offering any. Shipping and 10% is the going rate around here.

Giz
Old February 12, 2001, 01:38 PM   #17
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Romulus, it's still CA East when it comes to anti gun wackos and demagogues, but the maze of overlapping agencies means lots of used weapons hit the market periodically. Back when all the major agencies went to 9mm crunchentickers there were tons of used Colt Lawmen, Troopers, and S&W Models 19,28,10 etc, mostly with cosmetic wear and darn near new inside.

Same with shotguns. The one that's now my deer 870 and was an Arlington Va cruiser gun cost $140 back around 90, and I've seen similiar condition ones going for $175-$225 these days.

Other shotguns also come up, mostly S&W, Mossbergs, and the newer Winchesters. These run a bit less than 870s, of course, and may be a good budget shotgun for a backup or spare.

Maybe 5 years ago some Savage 311 doubles with 18bbls and utility grade lumber got surplussed out by a security company. I believe the worst condition ones went for about $150, a boon to any CAS shooters at the time.