The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 25, 2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Metal god

High capacity magazines in california

I may or may not have just bought Two 25 round magazines for my 10/22 online . Lets just say i did for the sake of this Question . I live in C.A. and I thought that you were stll able to buy high capacity mags if there for a 22 LR . I told a friend of the purchase . He told me I was not aloud the buy high capacity mags in CA or online And have them shipped to me in CA . Her is the problem. I did buy them and the company I bought them from just shipped them out and there on there way . Do I stop the shppment ? How will anybody find out I bought them ? Does the company that sold them by Law have to inform any state officials that they are sending these high capacity mags into CA ?

Thanks

Last edited by Metal god; April 25, 2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old April 25, 2012, 09:22 PM   #2
the rifleer

I believe it is actually legal to posses hi capacity magazines in CA, you just can't transport them. I haven't read the law so i dont know if thats true, but you may look into it.
Old April 25, 2012, 09:32 PM   #3
emcon5

No, you can't buy a 11+ round magazine in California, unless it is disassembled (AKA parts kit) and you never assemble it inside the state.

For anything California related, always start at the Calguns Wiki.

The High-cap magazine part can be found here:
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/La...e_restrictions

You can also find this on the DOJ FAQ page:

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#5

Quote:
If I have a large-capacity magazine, do I need to get rid of it?

No. Continued possession of large-capacity magazines (able to accept more than 10 rounds) that you owned in California before January 1, 2000, is not prohibited. However as of January 1, 2000, it is illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale, expose for sale, give or lend any large-capacity magazine in California except by law enforcement agencies, California peace officers, or licensed dealers.

(PC Section 12020 (b)(19-29))
Old April 25, 2012, 09:34 PM   #4
HDTVSELLER

If its on the way then you shouldnt stop it . also by posting it on here isnt exactly the most on the low low way to go about it. ip addresses are trackable on anything but anyhow i say its on the way then case closed
Old April 25, 2012, 09:46 PM   #5
DnPRK

You can buy repair parts for high capacity magazines that were already in California before January 1, 2000.
Old April 25, 2012, 11:12 PM   #6
Metal god

hey thanks for the replys so far please keep them coming. IP ADDRESS THEY DON"T NEED NO STINKING IP ADDRESS , but to be on the safe side maybe i'll hide out in the basement for a few days lol On a side note it just left the seller so untill it crosses CA state line I don't think there is an issue . Maybe I should reroute. It will cost 11 bucks to do so
Old April 25, 2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Metal god

I do get what your saying HDTV . All hypotheticals from now on . Not that my original post wasn't cus it was !!!!!!
Old April 25, 2012, 11:50 PM   #8
emcon5

It is a wobbler, could be a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the circumstances.

I have a highcap 10-22 mag I got in the 90s, As far as I can tell, it can't be disassembled, if there is a way, I can't figure it out.

If it was me, I would reroute it, or worst case (you can't before it enters the state) refuse the delivery and eat the shipping.

Odds are, even though you just broadcast your crime on the internet, you would probably never get caught, but you need to be aware of the consequences if you do. Big legal bills, probably probation if you have never been in any trouble (jail if you haven't, or the DA is a jerk), probably lose the right to own guns, for a period of time at best, forever at worst.

You just need to ask yourself if the potential downside if enough to cover something that frankly isn't all that useful anyway.
Old April 26, 2012, 01:16 AM   #9
Metal god

Your right emcon5 its not worth the posible consecuences that may arise. I do already have 4 mags that i got in the mid 90s . they just don't feed well . the two that may have been ordered were factory ruger mags . No big deal if i never had them I can't miss them . I will not take delivery of the shipment . Not that there ever was one .

thanks again everyone Hope to see you all in the pit
Old April 28, 2012, 06:11 AM   #10
MarkDozier

Dudes, This is one more reason to be thankful I left Commirfonia.