The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 24, 2008, 07:22 AM   #1
Thud

Tools for extract powder from shotgun shells?

Are there any? Or if not, a safe method to do this work? Thanks.-
Old August 24, 2008, 10:08 AM   #2
snuffy

http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bp...number=6690001

With this tool, you can take the shell apart, reclaim the powder, shot AND the wad. The hull is lost in the process, but the live primer can be removed and saved. It works by inserting the front of the shell in the chamber, then a sharp knife cuts the hull above the powder chamber, right at where the cushion section of the wad is. It's made of wood!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 24, 2008, 11:23 AM   #3
Perajio

That is cool!

Join The NRA and protect you're rights!
Old August 24, 2008, 02:24 PM   #4
Thud

Thanks, Snuffy.-
Old August 24, 2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Hawg

I use my pocket knife to open the crimp and the handle to open it on up. Then use the blade to slide the shot cup out enough to grab with my fingers. Don't lose anything.
Old August 24, 2008, 05:30 PM   #6
snuffy

Lots of times, the hull is crumpled during crimping, or the crimp simply won't close tight enough. In those cases, the hull is junk anyway.

I made a disassembly tool early on in my shotshell loading career. It consisted of a wood screw, a 6" x ½ bolt and a 6 penny nail. The wood screw was welded on the threaded end of the half inch bolt. The 6 penny nail was welded across the hex head to form a "T". The wood screw was used to pry open the crimp enough to empty the shot. Then the wood screw was pushed and turned into the base of the shotcup to provide a means of pulling the wad out. The primer was then pushed out and the hull was tossed out. This resulted in ruining the wad, as a hole in the shotcup couls leak small shot. But you could reclaim the shot, powder and the primer. If the hull wasn't hurt by being split, crumpled or was just worn out, it too could be re-claimed.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?