The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 26, 2001, 05:52 PM   #1
miron

walther p99 magazine; recoil spring

Hi guys;
I just bought a p99, when I fill the mag to its
capacity, It is very difficult to insert it back in!
Any ideas why? and if it will damage the gun or the mag if I jam it back in real hard.(Its a 10 round factory mag)
Second question; is there any advantage about the shape of the main recoil spring beside being a space saver.
thanks
Old December 26, 2001, 06:27 PM   #2
uzi4me

well .. i have a p99 also in 40 sw.. and its really not supposed to be REAL easy to pop that mag in .. as long as you dont have to bang the mag in .. i think your fine .. plus strong springs in new mags make for more springyness ... fully load the mag and let it sit a few days .. it will loosen up in time ..
Old December 27, 2001, 01:24 AM   #3
Zanuda

Couple weeks ago I bought mine (9 mm) and discover the same problem. By some combination of dimensional tolerances (magazine parts and gun) the magazine spring does not have spaces between coils by maximum compression. That is a cause of extremely hi mechanical stresses on magazine release and frame rails. I solve the problem by deleting blue button latch plate from magazine. That gives the extra space for the spring and allows to have gaps between coils by maximum compression of spring. To prevent the sliding of button black plastic cap I apply couple turns of the thin plastic tape over cap and magazine body. That allows inserting magazine without any problems.
I agree that is not most elegant way to fix a problem however it’s fast chip and gives a grate result. Just try it and feel a difference “before and after”

Last edited by Zanuda; December 27, 2001 at 03:34 AM.