The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 6, 2015, 03:00 PM   #26
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
The Graf Spee was a "pocket" battleship, which was in reality not much bigger, heavier, or more heavily armed than a heavy cruiser of the day. It was much smaller and lighter than American battleships of the era. Germany was subject to restrictions regarding the number and size of military ships they could build, so the Graf Spee (and a sister ship, whose name I don't remember) were built to nominally conform to the restrictions (although the Germans cheated a bit -- surprise, surprise).

The Graf Spee clearly wasn't in the same league as a "real" battleship.
No, it wasn't a "real" battleship and the Germans didn't call it or consider it to be a "real" battleship. They were Deutschland class Panzerschiffs (aka "armored ships" or cruisers). It was the Brits that gave Graf Spee and her two sisters the name of "pocket battleships."

The use of the Baltimore Class cruiser for the Graf Spee was actually an very good match.
Old August 6, 2015, 05:43 PM   #27
Bart Noir

thallup, you are very right. I looked into it. The African-American soldiers who served in France were still denied the acclaim they earned and were not allowed to be a part of the US portion of the big Bastille Day victory parade in 1919.

What I must have slightly dis-remembered was that the US troops were given the lead in the parade, over all other non-French troops, appearing right behind the French army units. And the French did include their black colonial troops in the parade.

I am sure that nobody was marching with flintlocks

But were any French troops carrying the Fusil Automatique Modèle 1917 semi-auto rifles? One wonders . . .

Bart Noir
Old August 7, 2015, 05:20 AM   #28
Mike Irwin
Staff

"The use of the Baltimore Class cruiser for the Graf Spee was actually an very good match."

Until you start counting turrets...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 7, 2015, 04:28 PM   #29
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Details, details ...
Old August 7, 2015, 05:59 PM   #30
thallub

Off topic:

My Dad had a friend named Jack who was a WW1 vet. i often deer hunted with Jack. Jack was a platoon leader and later company commander of a machinegun company. After arriving in France Jacks unit was issued Vickers machine guns and Chauchat automatic rifles. They loved the Vickers: The Chauchat not so much. The Chauchat was soon replaced by the Lewis gun.

Just before the war ended Jacks unit was issued model 1917 Browning machine guns and Browning automatic rifles.

Some where in my junk are the indirect firing tables for the Vickers.