The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 12, 2013, 08:38 PM   #1
GunXpatriot

What Scope Rings are Suitable for this Scope?

So I'm finally looking to put a scope on my Marlin 795, mostly for accuracy testing. I'd also like to do a video on youtube showing this accuracy with different loads, and then finally do a formal review of the gun. I feel that I would really be doing this rifle justice by reflecting all my positive experiences with it, in a well-put together review... But that's kind of unrelated.

ANYWAY... A while ago, I got a rifle from my Grandpa. Well, my mom did, but it was for me of course.

It was a JC Higgens Model 42DLM .22 Magnum. I believe, produced back in, around, 1968? I believe it was one of the last rifles ever made for Sears, Roebuck. A re-branded Marlin model 80, I believe. Could be wrong on that. Recently got some repairs done, and it seems to be doing well enough.

In the leather case in which that rifle was in a storage unit for 4 years, there were two scopes.

One, that reads:

Simor
4x20
Coated
Nitrogen Filled
No. 406110
Japan (H with circle around it).

I thought this scope was broken, as the crosshairs were off-center. Then I made several turns (and they don't click, just rotate) on both windage and elevation, and the scope is pretty centered now. Leads me to believe the scope is still functional, but it looks like it had one of those integrated dovetail mounts built into it, which is bent to hell. Doesn't look like this thing is being mounted on anything, and I don't think that mount comes off. Oh well.

The other, a "Western Field" branded Scope.

"Western Field"
3-7x20
60-1212

Made In Japan
ELT
[IGHT]
[SUWA]
Patented

This scope also seems to have some kind of integrated mounting system, but it looks easily removable. I got some information about this scope here.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...te_id/1#import

Says the tube diameter is .875? I don't really know what any of that means. Here is a picture of what this thing looks like.

Actually, now that I look like it, the mount looks different, so it might not have come that way, but who knows... Anyway, doing by that .875 diameter and by looking at the scope, what would be the shortest-sized scopes I could use?

Actually, I was going to try and somehow see the sights and scope at the same time, but I don't think I'm going to go through with that. Either way, info on how to do that, would be great. But like I said, I'm just looking to get it as close to the bore as I can, and with a 3-7x20, I'd imagine you could get it pretty close. You have to scrunch down to see the sights anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue if it is very close. Anyway, thanks for any help you can give me. It's greatly appreciated.
Old November 12, 2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

From a search: http://www.gunauction.com/search/dis...temnum=9576171

I've no idea, offhand, who makes rings for .875 tubes. So, for the moment, it looks like a search for bases which work with those rings and for that rifle.

If it's drilled and tapped, then I'd go with Weaver mounts and rings and check gun shops and gun shows for a good used Weaver K4.