The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 20, 2009, 05:28 PM   #1
cloud8a

When a female knocks at the door.

We talked before about a girl knocking at your door and barging in, in need of the bathroom. Here is a very very recent example of needing to stay on your toes no matter gender or age.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Fiv...Park-Home.html
Old June 20, 2009, 05:52 PM   #2
#18indycolts

so the 3 masked gunmen were hiding behind the girls?
Old June 20, 2009, 06:40 PM   #3
djohn

And this all falls back to using common sense,do not open your door for any one unfamiliar.Talk through the door or look out a window if you can to get a view to whom is outside the door.Using a young lady that may be attractive and knocking on the door or whatever is a pretty clever way to get a guy off guard or even a women,but most men are not thinking with his head on his shoulders...Then again some people have all the intellegence and lack any common sense and then wonder what went wrong how did this happen to me.
Old June 20, 2009, 06:47 PM   #4
Wildalaska

Quote:
so the 3 masked gunmen were hiding behind the girls?
The worst are those Girl Scouts...I was reading in the latest issue of Armchair Warrior magazine an article which shows how the spirit of Aileen Wornous is conjured up at Girl Scout meetings to help them with their goal of the destruction of hetero males!!!!! They get merit badges if they bring back fleshy proof of a death (need I add to THAT visual)

Anyway what is recited in that fact laden news articled quoted in the OP is quite a common tactic...happens every day...thats why I have Claymores set up along the walkway

WildibethereismoretothestoryAlaska ™
Old June 20, 2009, 07:57 PM   #5
tony pasley

Well where I live they would be to tired from the hike up the mountian. Second they will trip motion sensors letting me know company is comming. Third the motion alarm on my DVR will alert and show the entire front of the house when triggered.
Old June 20, 2009, 08:24 PM   #6
Zilmo

Quote:
Well where I live they would be to tired from the hike up the mountian. Second they will trip motion sensors letting me know company is comming. Third the motion alarm on my DVR will alert and show the entire front of the house when triggered.
When do the claymores get set off?
Old June 20, 2009, 08:41 PM   #7
bdturner

Watch the movie "The Devils Rejects" you will never open the door to a stranger again.
Old June 20, 2009, 08:45 PM   #8
Nnobby45

Quote:
The only thing more shocking than the crime itself, the suspects' ages -- 19-year-old James Vallejo of Fort Worth was arrested along with two 16-year-old boys and two 16-year-old girls.
I wish it was unusual enought to be shocking, but 16 (and younger) violent criminals aren't uncommon.

Not to steal the thread, but in a related incident in the early 80's I lived in a Trailer Park (yes, I admit it). A gal knocked on my door and when I opened it, she walked right in, went past me, sauntered over to my stove, and said "hey, those shrimp you're boiling?".

She was part of a magazine subscription team. She left when it became clear I wasn't buying and also because they're under strict time limits. In the early 80's, things were different. I hadn't felt threatened and foolishly let her walk right in.

It's not the 80's anymore, I don't live in a trailer court, and I don't approach the door without without a little security.

Last edited by Nnobby45; June 20, 2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old June 20, 2009, 09:59 PM   #9
MLeake

Not overly worried about this scenario...

... but on the other hand, I'm amazed at how many people, particularly men, don't seem to view women as potential threats.

I don't mean this in a paranoid way. I mean this in the sense of a guy who works out in the dojo with a female narcotics cop, and works in an office with a woman who's killed enemy forces in combat (former Apache pilot). One of my rifle instructors at an Army CRC course was female, for that matter, and she can outshoot most of the boys.

I also know that anybody can find a way to secrete a weapon somewhere about their person. A woman with a knife or gun is as much a potential threat as any man is likely to pose.

Note I am not addressing mindset, or statistical odds of an attacker's gender. All I'm saying is "she's just a woman" is a pretty stupid way of looking at things.
Old June 20, 2009, 10:18 PM   #10
supergas452M

My front/rear door/porch are protected by security iron and my doorbell outside of it is disconnected. If you are coming to my house, come expected.
Old June 20, 2009, 10:50 PM   #11
Nnobby45

Quote:
but on the other hand, I'm amazed at how many people, particularly men, don't seem to view women as potential threats.
Amen, Bro!
Old June 20, 2009, 11:04 PM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

My nextdoor neighbor had something similar happen. He was awakened at night by a knock on the door, but didn't open the door since it was late and he didn't recognize the person at the door. Instead of answering the door he went to a window with a view of the door and watched to see what was going on.

After waiting awhile and receiving no answer, the man at the door turned and left. As he did, his accomplice who had been waiting just around the corner of the house came out of hiding and left with him. The accomplice had been waiting just a few feet from the door but out of sight of the door and also out of sight of the window from which the neighbor was observing the first man

I wonder if he would have opened the door had the person knocking been a woman instead of a man.
Old June 21, 2009, 12:08 AM   #13
djohn

When I was younger, single and really stupid,I seen this very pretty young lady hitching for a ride.I thought hey why not she looks hot typical guy thing and maybe I'll hook up get a date.I just keep thinking how risky it was for a lady to hitch a ride especially a nice looking lady that tends to get more attention.Well not thinking at all about my safety, I pulled over and as she approached the car I noticed in the side mirror a dude also comming up from behind.He was not visable when she was hitching,So I guess he was hidding behind a tree or shrubs and I drove off. Afterwords when my stuck on stupid left I realized the potential danger I put my self in all for stopping for a young lady hitching.
Old June 21, 2009, 12:17 AM   #14
cloud8a

Im like another guy on another thread. If the doorbell rings and I don't know you I am back to the couch.
Old June 21, 2009, 12:43 AM   #15
MikeGoob

We had a friend of the family who was robbed. He was a jewelry dealer and some nice sweet women needed to use the restroom. He let them in and when they were leaving the door opened and in came their accomplices with guns. Always a good ploy for criminals...
Old June 21, 2009, 01:16 AM   #16
Lost Sheep

Scary indeed.

Do the terms, "Stalking horse", "Judas goat", "Trojan horse" or "Decoy" apply to these tactics? Ancient and well-used tactics and now updated.
Lost Sheep
Old June 21, 2009, 01:39 AM   #17
DougO83

Why do idiots still open their doors for strangers? If I don't know you or you aren't some form of public safety, I don't open the door. For anyone. Jesus Christ Himself is probably gonna need to show me some ID to get in...

Matt 6:33
Old June 21, 2009, 01:56 AM   #18
djohn

Another scarry thing I just remembered is Door stop fraudsters.Here in CT some one was going around as I think it was a utility worker or the like and once inside the imposter would keep them busy while another would steal valuables from other parts of the homes.
Old June 21, 2009, 10:50 AM   #19
MLeake

Not a female, but...

.... in MA, around 30 years ago, my dad's cousin had a close brush with a serial rapist. He was posing as a flower delivery guy, complete with van, and his ploy was to pretend he was lost, and ask if he could use the phone to verify the customer's address. My dad's cousin actually let the guy in the house. Luckily for her, her German Shepherd (named "Pup", and the dog was usually a big baby) keyed on this guy and started growling.

This is when the light bulb went on for her.

The guy asked, "Does your dog bite?" She said, "Do you want to find out?"

The guy left.

My dad's cousin called her husband, at work; he, in turn, called the cops, who came out to the house in numbers. They told her this guy had raped four or five other women, using the same ploy.

They also told her, living out as far from town as she did, that she really should buy a gun and learn to use it, due to 20+ minute response times. Yep, Massachusetts, in the late 70's, cops told a woman to buy a gun.

Sorry to veer off on a branch, but opening doors can be a real risk, even when people look like they might belong.

And, to reinforce one of my favorite themes, dogs are good, and big dogs are even better as deterrents.
Old June 21, 2009, 11:05 AM   #20
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Why do idiots still open their doors for strangers? If I don't know you or you aren't some form of public safety, I don't open the door. For anyone. Jesus Christ Himself is probably gonna need to show me some ID to get in...
Forty years ago, my mother let in a woman who had (really) run out of gas who wanted to use the phone. She was followed in by a man who tried to attack her and who then knocked down my mother, threatening murder. He was dissuaded by Smith, Wesson, and me. Close call.

Different scenarios of this kind of thing (bell ringer and accomplice) have been shown on PDTV. In a recent episode, an intercom was recommended.

Cheap insurance, IMHO. Maybe a closed circuit camera would also be a good investment.
Old June 21, 2009, 01:35 PM   #21
BillCA

Quote:
Why not mount an Apache's remotely controled 30mm chain gun covering your front porch?

The use of a woman is an interesting ploy, because it also works on the upbringing of a lot of men to be courteous to women. Guys want to think others would help their wives, girlfriends, daughters, etc. when the car breaks down or for the courtesy of a restroom.

I know a young woman who lives her life in "condition white" most of the time. Yet, she refused to let a girl into her apartment for the bathroom ploy. Why? She looked through the peephole and watched her and said she didn't urgently need to use the bathroom. When I asked how she knew that, she said "Simple. She wasn't doing the pee-pee dance that girls do when waiting in lines at the restrooms. Now... consider yourselves "enlightened".
Old June 21, 2009, 03:58 PM   #22
ilbob

If I am not expecting you, don't come by.

I might be willing to make a call for you from behind the locked door.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old June 21, 2009, 08:04 PM   #23
besafe2

As others have said if I don't know you I'm not opening the door & I also have a few "suprises" with me.

On the other hand great job by the neighbour in calling 911. This is why community watch works. Neighbours looking out for each other.
Old June 21, 2009, 09:42 PM   #24
tony pasley

Why not mount an Apache's remotely controled 30mm chain gun covering your front porch?

Because the ammo is to expensive.
Old June 22, 2009, 01:44 AM   #25
Rich Miranda

We live in an apartment which has three doors that lead outside. We never use the front door because our cars are directly behind our place. All of our friends and neighbors (that we know) know this and knock on the kitchen door (the third door also is rarely used and is never knocked on).

If we get a knock on the front door, right away we know it's someone we don't know (or the apartment manager ). We use the peep hole first. If the person looks shady, we say through the door something like, "I'm sorry, we can't open the door right now." They just walk away.

If they look OK, we tell them to hold on a minute (while I get my Ruger P90). If they are still there in the 30 seconds it take me to get the gun (sometimes they leave!) I peep again to check for anything suspicious. Only then will I open the door.

Of course, a knock on the kitchen door is also answered with caution. But that's easier because the door has a window in it and only people who we have told to knock there, knock there.

To stay on topic, we try to treat the caller the same regardless of gender.
Closed Thread