The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 14, 2009, 03:35 AM   #1
dcobler

Cleaning gear

I was just wondering about the kind of cleaning gear everyone keeps around. I personally have a "All in one" $20 kit from Cabelas and a few misc. kits and pieces from the armory for the .556.

What do you have?
Is it organized?

Also, I usually clean my firearms at my computer desk and sometimes pull up a T.V. tray if I am really scattering parts.
Where do you clean yours?
Do you have a cleaning area, or just where ever?

Please include Pics if you have them, I will as soon as I take some.
Old February 14, 2009, 03:05 PM   #2
pmeisel

Started out with one of the standard kits but have now accumulated all sorts of odds and ends to go with it -- several different bottles and spray cans of cleaner and lube, variety of different tips and boresnakes for different calibers... lots of duplicate stuff bought because I misplaced the thing I needed or forgot I already had one. Now keep everything in one old leftover briefcase. I can either find that, or I am out of everything.....
Old February 14, 2009, 03:18 PM   #3
JWT

Plastic tackle boxes are quite inexpensive and work fine for keeping you gun cleaning tools and supplies organized. The trays that lures are supposed to go in are nice sized for jags etc.
Old February 14, 2009, 05:33 PM   #4
isanchez2008

Started with a $15 cleaning kit and kept getting different kits and pieces with every new gun. Now usually use a carbon fiber cleaning rod with no harm brushes, chamber guide, Hoppes patches, brass jagg, Hoppes lubricating oil, Shooters Choice solvent or Sweets but NEVER at the same time. I like Wilson grease for my pistols. I clean wherever there is the a lot of light, sometimes thats on the coffee table or on the work table in the garage. A remington gun cleaning pad protects the surfaces below.
Old February 16, 2009, 11:31 PM   #5
dcobler

I have never heard of Jags until I joined this forum. I see them in catalogs but didn't understand how they work. You just push the patch through the barrel? Instead of brushes? I'm lost.
Old February 17, 2009, 12:09 AM   #6
MartyG

The guy who owned the house before us built in a nice bar downstairs. I clean the guns there because the lighting is good, and I have a long space to spread out. But I've learned not to use spray solvent inside! PHewww!
Actually, most cleanings are just a light oiling after shooting at the range.

While we're on the subject, maybe somebody can tell me the difference between the brass wire bore brush and the nylon one. Which do you use for what? I learned to clean rifles and pistols in the military, where we used a brass wire bore brush only once or twice, with oil, then used swabs until clean and dry. Also, what's with that fuzzy cotton bore swab? When do you use that, vs patches?