The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 5, 1999, 11:18 PM   #1
ghostsix

Any experance yet with this load?

------------------
Old November 7, 1999, 07:10 PM   #2
WalterGAII

I just ordered 500 rds. of .45 Super brass from Starline. I'm going to form most of it into .400 Cor-Bon, but might play around with some .45 Super loads. I'll e-mail Fernando, at Triton, progenitor of the .45 Super, before I shoot any of that stuff through my Glock barrel. ( I already have Wolff guide rod and heavy springs; just not sure about the factory Glock barrel)

You might check on glocktalk.com, under "caliber corner". That forum is moderated by Triton/Fernando.

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!
Old November 8, 1999, 09:42 PM   #3
karlfitt

I have had the oportunity to shoot this load through a Mike LaRocca built Colt Commander.
Higher recoil, yes, but seems to be accurate as well.
I also got to see this load shot into Balistic gelitan.

Instead of penatrating deeply as you may expect with the higher velocity, it actually penatrated a litle less than standard .45 ACP rounds. BUT HOLY COW, great expansion on the bullet and a HUGE temporary streach cavity!!

Karl Fittinger
Old November 8, 1999, 09:52 PM   #4
ghostsix

I spoke to Bill Wilson.He is testing the 230 gr.@1250,in the Tac Elite.He wants to kill hogs and deer.I await results.I don`t see a problem with 28,000 PSI.23,000 was unnoticed.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ghostsix (edited November 08, 1999).]
Old November 10, 1999, 09:30 PM   #5
Walt Welch

Colonel; check your past issues of the American Rifleman. I think it was the Nov/Dec 1997 issue that had an overview of this cartridge: history, development, and current status.

It is a darned dangerous cartridge, gaining strength from using thicker brass, while keeping external dimensions the same. This turns a safe, 'large pot' cartridge, the .45 ACP, into a 'small pot' cartridge, similar to the 9x19 and 40 S&W. Very small changes in components, loading practices, or other variables can skyrocket pressures.

One of the developers of the cartridge, whose name I have forgotten, had some handloads measured by the late Bruce Hodgdon. It turns out that they made about 50,000 cup! They had seemed somewhat hot in the gun, but the developer had this telling comment to make: 'In the 1911 pattern, sometimes the first and only sign of overpressure is a burst pistol.'

If you must use it, be aware that it is a propriety cartridge, and Ace Hindeman's son is the only legitimate source for the guns and conversion kits, although he has liscensed some other manufacturers (Springfield is one) to make guns in this caliber. Don't trust your hand to someone's illegitimate conversion. And, as always,watch your six.

Walt
Old November 10, 1999, 09:33 PM   #6
Walt Welch

Colonel; forgot to add that there were two .45 ACP handguns mentioned in the American Rifleman article which were said to be completley safe with .45 Super ammo, box stock. They were the H&K USP (full size), and the S&W 625.

Wolff now makes extra power recoil springs for the H&K, and I plan to get some before trying the .45 Super in mine.

Watching six, I remain, Walt
Old November 10, 1999, 10:39 PM   #7
ghostsix

Thanks,Walt.I haven`t had time to read that isue.I do have it.Bill is using 28,00 PSI @ 1200 FPS,230 gr..We`ll see.Let him blow a gun;he can afford it.

------------------
Old November 11, 1999, 01:08 PM   #8
Mikie

I have a USP45 to use in developing handloaded 45 Supers. The chamber on the stock barrel is unsupported in the 6 O'clock area and in shooting some hot 45 ACP +Ps(Factory Triton 185 gr JHP@1150fps) half of the cases were unsuitable for reloading because of a bad bulge. This tells me that even with the thicker Starline 45Super cases they'd be subject to the unsupported chamber of the HK barrel. I am thinking of ordering an aftermarket barrel from BarSto($185) for an added margin of safety. Also I want to use the Starline brass more than just once and the aftermarket barrel(if it's fully supported) will extend the brass life. An important note I read in an article was that they recommend using Federal 150 primers ONLY. I'm guessing that they have less likelihood of having a primer puncture. I already ordered a Wolff's 16 # recoil spring to replace the stock 13 #. The recoil springs come with a high power firing pin spring as well. I am thinking of getting a duplicate recoil spring assembly from H&K, without the recoil spring to have the 16# captured and ready to swap into the USP. Other than that I plan on using Alliant Power Pistol for powder.

------------------
Old November 11, 1999, 06:12 PM   #9
ghostsix

Mikie,do you think that the Tac Elite would be good to go once?It has a heavy bbl.,but is unsupported;no .38 Super style feed ramp,which causes it`s own difficulities in the .45.The few rds.would make brass expendable.I was thinking Blue Dot.It works well in my Mod.29,and I have 8#.Primers should be hard.Fed.,or CCI.Not Rem.

------------------
Old November 11, 1999, 08:45 PM   #10
Mikie

Sorry, I don't know much about the Tac Elite. Most 1911 style 45s need to be modified for a steady diet of 45 Super unless they're already designated for Super. Check out this website www.triton-ammo.com for more info on this cartridge including pointers to companies that convert the 1911 for 45 Super.

------------------