The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 18, 2013, 01:01 PM   #1
wstein

pistol magazines

I was wondering how many magazines you have for your handguns? I usually try and have a total of 4 magazines per handgun. Unless I can find a sweet deal on them then I stock up a few more then my normal 4.

What is every ones thoughts on this.
P

I don't have a good signature.....
Old January 18, 2013, 01:07 PM   #2
WIL TERRY

You CANNOT have too many magazines !!!
A pal of mine had 100 MKII magazines for his Ruger 22 pistols and would have two bricks of ammo loaded and ready to go when we got to the range; GREAT PLAN !
And so it goes...
Old January 18, 2013, 01:18 PM   #3
DasGuy

4 for my SIG.

I keep accumulating mags for my 1911... 10 so far. 2 Colt, 4 Chip McCormick (sometimes will cause a feeding problem, so I only use them for training), 2 Wilson Combat, and 2 Tripp Research.

4 would be my minimum.
Old January 18, 2013, 01:23 PM   #4
Noreaster

When I started IDPA someone told me to have mags for matches and mags for training. Turned out to be good advice and I try to do the same with carry guns. I have at least four mags per firearm.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:23 PM   #5
The Great Mahoo

Depends on my use of the gun and the price of the magazines.

My (former) main choice for carry, a Glock 36, I keep 5 mags for. I've used the gun in a few training classes where mags save time and keep everyone happy. I've shot some "action shoots" with it where I needed X number of rounds and had to have more mags available. Generally, though, I worry about having 3. 1 in the gun, and 1 or 2 extra to carry.

My 1911, I have 6 mags for. Got some extra for competetion shoots, and the price is right.

Some of my non-carry, just-fun-at-the-range guns, I only keep 1-3, depending on what the gun came with and I could readily get.

With revolvers, the speedloaders are usually pretty cheap, so I keep 5+ for them. Generally get them at arounf $7 a pop or so, if I remember right. I haven't bought any for a while.

My revolver moon clips, on the other hand, I keep 25-50 of. You can get them in multi-packs, and I always worry they might bend or snap. Have never had any problems with them yet, though.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:45 PM   #6
SauerGrapes

For some reason, I only have 2 for my main carry gun. Every other gun I have at least 6, some more than 12. Hell, I got mags for guns I don't even own.
Hmmmm, sounds like a good reason to hit the gun shop.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old January 19, 2013, 09:37 AM   #7
timn8er

I agree with Wstein: four per pistol, unless a good deal falls into
my lap. Which is why my 4006 has six magazines, my 6906 has
eight, & my M&P40C has five.
Old January 19, 2013, 09:42 AM   #8
adamc

I just placed an order with Midway

they are limiting to 2 only
Old January 19, 2013, 09:42 AM   #9
dbldune

Mags

4 for my 92fs
2 for PX4 Strom SB
4 for my Ruger sr-22
4 for the AR-15
Old January 19, 2013, 10:27 AM   #10
TailGator

I generally have 3 to 5 magazines per pistol. Personally, when I get up to 45 or 50 rounds straight, I welcome the break of reloading the mags.
Old January 19, 2013, 10:47 AM   #11
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
When I started IDPA someone told me to have mags for matches and mags for training.
For guns used in IDPA with mags that can hold more than 10 rounds, another idea might be: 1) mags for matches and training, and 2) mags for carry.

This lets you use 10-round mags for matches and training, as they're generally cheaper than hi-cap mags. Unless you're shooting a 1911 (8-round max), IDPA limits you to 10-rounds in a magazine.

For IDPA, it's a good idea to have 5-6 mags when you do a QUALIFIER MATCH so that you don't hold everyone up reloading 2-3 mags after each stage. Three mags simply aren't enough.

Keeping some mags loaded with carry ammo (premium HP) is a practical option, but keeping hi-caps or sub-compact mags fully loaded can put extra stress on the mag springs and that may shorten their service life a bit. Wolff Springs recommends downloading those mags a round or two when stored to prolong spring life. For other mags (10-ronder 9mm mags in a full-size gun, or 7-round 1911 mags), it's not likely to be an issue.

You should shoot your carry mags (but not necessarily your carry ammo) from time to time, to confirm that the mags are functioning properly.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; January 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old January 19, 2013, 10:58 AM   #12
Rmart30

5 minimum...But I prefer to have 10.
Old January 19, 2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Aiko

7 for my G19
6 for my G26
4 for my HK usp

And of course, looking to add more to all.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:41 PM   #14
lee n. field

Quote:
I was wondering how many magazines you have for your handguns? I usually try and have a total of 4 magazines per handgun. Unless I can find a sweet deal on them then I stock up a few more then my normal 4.

What is every ones thoughts on this.
This is a frequently asked (and answered) question.

As many as I can. I tend to feel comfortable at 8. Cost is a factor.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "