The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2006, 05:16 PM   #1
lizziedog1

Light 30 Caliber Bullets?

I was over visiting with a friend the other day. He reloads for several cartridges, one of them being the 7.62X25 Tokarev. I saw the box of bullets he was using. They are Hornady, 90 grain HP's. Even though they are 30 caliber, the box indicates a diameter of .309. Now a couple of questions.

Have any of you tried these lighter, 30 caliber bullets in a .30-30? Do you suppose they would work from a safety standpoint? Would the .001 inch diameter difference cause pressure problems?

Yes, I do want to try them im my .30-30. I think that if they were safe, and reasonably acccurate, they would be great coyote thumpers.
Old April 2, 2006, 05:50 PM   #2
Archie

Maybe, maybe not...

The diameter size is NOT an issue. Bullets get squozed all the time.

What may be a problem is the radius on the nose of the bullet and how it rests upon the primer in front of it in the tubular magazine.

And now that I think of it, you may have to invent the loading data for it. I'm not sure who would have data for 90 grain bullets in .30 WCF. But don't let that stop you. Sounds like a fun experiment, if nothing else.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old April 2, 2006, 06:20 PM   #3
Dave R

I shoot a lot of Speer's 100gr. "plinker" bullets in reduced loads in my .308 and my 7.5 Swiss (K-31). I don't see how a 90 gr. .309 handgun bullet would be a lot different. Someone tell me if that .001 between .308 and .309 is gonna be an issue....

Just don't drive it too fast, and you'll keep your pressures within norml range.

My opinion, only. And worth what you paid for it.
Old April 2, 2006, 06:25 PM   #4
lizziedog1

I realize that the lack of crimping would eliminate using the tube. I would be single loading the rounds if I decide to experiment.

As far as loading data, can I not just use data for 100 grain bullets? I was under the impression that substituting lighter bullets in reloading is usally not a problem.

It would interesting chronographing these light bullets out of a .30-30.
Old April 2, 2006, 07:00 PM   #5
Shooter 973

Light 30 caliber bullets!!!

I have loaded a few hundred 30-30's with 125 gr. Rem. soft points for use in a Rem 788 bolt action rifle. They shoot great and at about 2700 fps they are right up there with a 308 velocity wise. They are lightning on animals up to the size of Mule deer. If you were going to use them in a lever action, you would be limited to a 2 shooter. One in the chamber and the next one in the magazine. I have also loaded the Speer 110 gr. Flat point bullets and they also shoot well. But they are pretty dang fragile too!!!. And these light bullets shoot way low if you are sighted in with "regular" 30-30 loads of 150gr. or heavier.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Old April 3, 2006, 01:22 AM   #6
Leftoverdj

It's worth a try. I dunno how well that short a bullet will shoot and they'll shed velocity fast, but they oughta be dramatically explosive. I'll second the 125 grain Rem suggestion.