The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 28, 2005, 05:49 PM   #1
Cloudpeak

Lengthening rounds that are too short?

Well, in all of the cast bullet loads I worked up for my XD40 cal., I never had a FTF. I found a load that was very accurate and loaded 450+ rounds and have now found that they don't feed worth a hoot. They're too short and hang up on the feed ramp. So, can I buy an inertia puller, put some "shim's" in the bottom and use this to lengthen the rounds? I would make the round too long, re-seat and re-crimp. Is this practical or do I need to just pull all of the bullets, dump powder and start over again?

Thanks, Cloudpeak
Old July 28, 2005, 06:04 PM   #2
Russ5924

I would think it would work if you found something to stop the bullet.Maybe a wood dowel cut to fit would do the job,wouldn't make much differance how far the bullet came out if you reseat and crimp??????????// But I would try just a few at a time to make sure they work OK
Old July 28, 2005, 06:28 PM   #3
saands

Sounds like a wooden dowl might work ... you won't know unless you try. I don't know how you crimped them the first time, but I would highly suggest using a Lee Factory Crimp (someone else also makes a similar tool) the second time and really cranking a good crimp on them to make sure that you don't get any setback when you are firing them. I would also check to see that they are not setting back by cycling the same round into the chamber multiple times ... load it second from the top ... fire the first round ... eject the live one into your hand ... load it again second from the top ... etc ...

Saands
Old July 28, 2005, 07:42 PM   #4
Jim Watson

I have done that for a few short rounds, rapping the puller to just start the bullet out of the case. But for 450? Man, what a chore. I guess you could work on it a few at a time and load fresh ammo for most of your shooting. I would.
Old July 28, 2005, 10:30 PM   #5
Cloudpeak

"Sounds like a wooden dowl might work ... you won't know unless you try. I don't know how you crimped them the first time, but I would highly suggest using a Lee Factory Crimp (someone else also makes a similar tool) the second time and really cranking a good crimp on them to make sure that you don't get any setback when you are firing them. I would also check to see that they are not setting back by cycling the same round into the chamber multiple times ... load it second from the top ... fire the first round ... eject the live one into your hand ... load it again second from the top ... etc ..."

I used a Hornady taper crimp die.

No setback problems. I check this quite a bit just to make sure it's not happening. Also, I don't have any cycling problems. Any of these cast bullet loads that get loaded get shot right away
Old July 31, 2005, 04:13 PM   #6
Cloudpeak

Boy, do I feel dumb

The title says it all. I checked the width of the "lips" at the top of the mag before I got to the point where I was going to pull bullets. The mag I was using was .023" narrower than my other two mags putting the rounds lower than they should have been. I bent the lip outward and now there are no feeding problems. Then it finally dawned on me. I remembered dropping the mag. Sure enough, there was a mark where the lip was bent in a bit.
Now I'm off to display my stupidity (or feeble mind with CRS disease) to a couple of other groups.

Cloudpeak
Old July 31, 2005, 05:53 PM   #7
Russ5924

Look on the bright side at least you won't have to mess with 450 rounds
Old August 1, 2005, 12:37 AM   #8
Kamicosmos

I am assuming you don't have a caliper to check cartridge OAL? Maybe this was the reloading gods way of pointing that out to you?

-- Major Motoko Kusanagi GitS:SAC

Member of NRA and Western Missouri Shooters Alliance
Old August 1, 2005, 07:53 AM   #9
Cloudpeak

"I am assuming you don't have a caliper to check cartridge OAL? Maybe this was the reloading gods way of pointing that out to you? "

Yep, got calipers. That's how I came up with .023" difference in width. Was gonna use my eyeballs but thought calipers might be more accurate

Cloudpeak (born and raised in KC MO)