The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 1, 2001, 10:00 PM   #1
Montrose

Questions on the Savage 10FP

I'm usually a die-hard Remington 700 guy but for various reasons I'm considering a Savage 10FP in 260. I have a couple of questions I was hoping I could get some help with;
1) What is the muzzle diameter? I'd like to use my current sight base if possible.
2) Is it possible to have a 142grn Sierra touch the lands and still have the cartridge fit in the magazine box? Or is this a typical long throat manufacturer type barrel?
3) How long is the magazine box? The older ones were 2.850" but I'm not sure about the new Savage line.
4) I heard their barrels aren't hammer forged, if this is correct what method do they use? button?
5) What's a replacement barrel from Savage cost. Does anyone make threaded aftermarket barrels for Savage or do you need to have a gunsmith thread and chamber the barrel?
6) How's the receiver quality. How far are is the bolt face from being square?

I would greatly appreciate any help with the questions above and/or any other good reasons to buy a Savage over a Remington. Thanks
Old August 2, 2001, 02:08 AM   #2
ghillieman

hey montrose, I have a savage 110fp "tactic" in 30-06 and it will kick ass!!!!!!!! there was a good article in the national rifleman about two months (or three)ago.on how savage makes there gun... they are making the best barrel today the way they head space makes alot of sence......... so does the price..... believe it or not with my handloads last week I shot under a 3 inch group @ 600 yds.no lie! and an 8 inch @ 800yds I set my ogive 10thousandths off the lands and it chambers with no problem......forget the rem,.... the savage rules!!!!!!!!! ghillieman---------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- IKKEN HAISATSU (VICTORY WITH ONE STRIKE)
Old August 2, 2001, 02:44 PM   #3
ED CHAVEZ

I feel the same way as ghillieman.

The Savage rifles do have better barrels. Forget the Remington.

"They may kill me, but there will always be more like me" -ED CHAVEZ

They told me,"throw down your guns, return to the earth...HAH! time enough for the earth in the grave". -ED CHAVEZ

"Do not fear the governments, that fears you". -ED CHAVEZ

Proud Member of: NAHC LIFE, GOA, JPFO, CRPA, and NRA.
Old August 2, 2001, 09:48 PM   #4
Karsten

Going against the grain......What the heck SAVAGE all the way. for the $300 plus you save you can put that into a scope, mount and ammo....don't be ashamed as some say.....when you out shoot .50 MOA then I guess you need better than a Rem 700.

Oh, ouch......restock it soon the factory stock will eat you up.

Karsten

Cheers Ed....we seem to travel in pairs soon them Rem guys are gonna start to wonder........Savages are gonna kick butt

Last edited by Karsten; August 2, 2001 at 10:26 PM.
Old August 2, 2001, 10:25 PM   #5
PropellerHead

Montrose,

I have owned a Savage 110 FP (long action). Out of curiosity, I once called a smith and asked what it would take to increase the accuracy of that rifle. He told me that due to the floating lugs on the bolt, there is no need to true them, like on the Rem. This is one of the design features that make the Savage so accurate out of the box. You are correct, Savage button rifles thier barrels. They are the only modern high-volume manufacturer that I know of that does that.

That rifle was more acurate than I was, but with it being a long action and a RH model, I couldn't cycle the action without the bolt handle hitting me in the nose.

I also owned a Savage 116 in 300 Win Mag. That was a real thumper, but I could regularly get .5 MOA with match ammo! I later put a JP Enterprises muzzle break on it. That sure tamed the recoil, but I found that after I fired the first round, I was usually the only left one on the firing line.

I'm a real Savage fan! The first rifle that I mentioned I picked up at a gun show for $350, and that included a Bushnell scope.

Both of those rifles ended up on Choate stocks. The FP was put on an Ultimate Sniper stock. My good friend still owns that one. The other rifle ended up on the Varmint stock. It made a good prone or bench gun, but it was a bummer to carry around the woods looking for Bambi.

My next turnbolt will be a Savage again. I'll be in the market for a 10FP to put on either a McMillan or a Sharpshooters Supply stock. Sharpshooters Supply has pillar bedded stocks and aftermarket triggers for the Savages.

I hope this helps. Happy shooting!!
Old August 3, 2001, 05:52 PM   #6
Karsten

Montrose...Check this out. Savage 110FP for $295.00
http://assaultweb.net/ubb/Forum12/HTML/201915.html
As for the factory stock I bought a Choate Tool Varmint stock, Ed has the Sniper sister stock and they can be had for about $141.00 from Brownells if youy know someone with a dealer account. Full lenth aluminum bedding block, reciever is pillar mounted and the barrel is completely free floated.

Good luck